FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toroto Police To Hold Idling Vehicle Blitz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060919-1.htm

September 19, 2006

City of Toronto and police to hold idling vehicle blitz

Quote:Toronto, Ontario - The City of Toronto and Toronto Police Services have announced they are working together this week to reduce the number of vehicles left idling during a five-day blitz that ends September 22. Under the city's anti-idling bylaw, most vehicles left idling for more than three minutes in a 60-minute period are subject to a $100 fine, plus a $25 provincial surcharge.

"It's important to remember that smog is not just a problem in the middle of the summer, it's a year-round issue," says Shelley Carroll, Chair of the City's Works Committee. "By avoiding unnecessary idling, we can reduce the level of smog in the city that contributes to poor air quality."

The city is encouraging drivers to reduce their vehicle idling even further, by reducing warm-up idle to just turning on the engine and going, and by turning off the engine when stopped for more than ten seconds, except in traffic.

Idle eh.

So if I park my car, put the stick in Park, and put a brick on the accelerator, my car's technically not running at "idle". :rolleyes:
all it is really it a cash grab.
Welcome to TO bend over and hand over your wallet.

Laterz :)
K_OS,Sep 20 2006, 03:19 PM Wrote:Welcome to TO bend over and hand over your wallet.

Laterz :)
[right][snapback]207812[/snapback][/right]

That's why I left that place. It's a great place to grow up, but as soon as you're a taxpayer... you're screwed.
SVT ZX3,Sep 19 2006, 11:02 AM Wrote:
Quote:The city is encouraging drivers to reduce their vehicle idling even further, by reducing warm-up idle to just turning on the engine and going, and by turning off the engine when stopped for more than ten seconds, except in traffic.
[right][snapback]207641[/snapback][/right]

[Rant]

See....a bit of CYA going on there I think...'cause they certainly aint trying to reduce idling by reducing roadworks, are they? The times we have to sit in traffic while Mr. Workman has his afternoon coffee or doesn't work a particular day 'cause it's raining are getting worse every year IMHO. Doesn't seems to matter where you go, at some point, yer gonna hit a loooooooong traffic stall...

I know it would never work, but maybe WE the people could start fining them for time sitting in traffic...!!

Sigh.

[/Rant]

S.
No person shall cause or permit a vehicle or boat to idle for more than three (3) minutes in a sixty-minute period.

*Subsection A does not apply to:

Vehicles or boats when the ambient temperature inside a vehicle or
boat is:

(a) More than twenty-seven degrees Celsius (27°C.); or

(b ) Less than five degrees Celsius (5°C.).

So just crack up the heat to 27C in your car if you are going to be running it :)

plus it wont apply anymore if it gets a bit cooler
Lol....what'll they think of next?
They have nothing better to do...
yeah the bylaw ain't that great....but u gotta admit, T.O. is seriously becoming the worst traffic city in North America (probably only LA and NYC are worse).

All u see are tons of new condos, and new communities being built EVERYWHERE, but no new roads. Miss, Vaughan, Scar. etc are growing fast so things are only going get A LOT WORSE. Something has to be done.....i'd hate to think they are going to use the PAY TOLLs like they do in London UK or have alternating days where you can use your car like in Beijing.
....or they could just curb the influx of people they are bringing into TO. I think it's growing by like 125,000 people each year.
cornflakes,Oct 23 2006, 07:19 PM Wrote:....or they could just curb the influx of people they are bringing into TO.  I think it's growing by like 125,000 people each year.
[right][snapback]213113[/snapback][/right]

That would involve an immigration policy actually being enforced for the first time ever. :rolleyes: