FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Heater Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So Ive had my ZX5 since April, and now that its been a little cold outside the past few days when I turn the heater/defrost on I can hear the A/C Compressor engage and the low speed cooling fan turn on...

Is this normal????

It does discharge hot air into the cabin, but Im just confused as to why the compressor and fan turn on....

The AC button is NOT on (green light), its OFF.

Appreciate the insight...
2DXTRM,Oct 3 2009, 08:26 PM Wrote:So Ive had my ZX5 since April, and now that its been a little cold outside the past few days when I turn the heater/defrost on I can hear the A/C Compressor engage and the low speed cooling fan turn on...

Is this normal????

It does discharge hot air into the cabin, but Im just confused as to why the compressor and fan turn on....

The AC button is NOT on (green light), its OFF.

Appreciate the insight...
[right][snapback]295401[/snapback][/right]
If you put the control all the way over to defrost, the compressor is activated automatically regardless of temp setting - this is to help quickly reduce the amount of moisture ... in some years the AC light came on, but in other years it didn't.

If it's coming on and you're not on defrost then I have no explanation.
ZTWsquared,Oct 3 2009, 08:34 PM Wrote:If you put the control all the way over to defrost, the compressor is activated automatically regardless of temp setting - this is to help quickly reduce the amount of moisture ... in some years the AC light came on, but in other years it didn't.

If it's coming on and you're not on defrost then I have no explanation.
[right][snapback]295403[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes all the way to the right at defrost and the mixed defrost setting before full defrost.

I havent checked to see if it does it at the other settings.
That's actually designed that way to do two things. One, to get the moisture out of the air. Second to ensure that the A/C system gets at least some use during the "off season" and keep things moving and lubricated.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Oct 3 2009, 08:47 PM Wrote:That's actually designed that way to do two things.  One, to get the moisture out of the air.  Second to ensure that the A/C system gets at least some use during the "off season" and keep things moving and lubricated.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]295405[/snapback][/right]

Thanks!

Thats a smart design on Fords behalf.

2DXTRM,Oct 3 2009, 08:56 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Oct 3 2009, 08:47 PM Wrote:That's actually designed that way to do two things.  One, to get the moisture out of the air.  Second to ensure that the A/C system gets at least some use during the "off season" and keep things moving and lubricated.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]295405[/snapback][/right]

Thanks!

Thats a smart design on Fords behalf.
[right][snapback]295406[/snapback][/right]
it's not just Ford ...
Gabriel,Oct 4 2009, 10:43 AM Wrote:it's not just Ford ...
[right][snapback]295425[/snapback][/right]

Either way, its news to me! Good on whichever else automaker that now does this to keep the A/C Compressor in shape year round.

My old Cavalier never did this and wouldn't ya know it after a long winter the damn thing wouldnt work in the summer = money to spend to make it work again.