FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hid's Not Firing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i spent the big bucks and got a set of Mach HID's. Everything seemed to work fine when i picked up the lights , hids lit up , highbeams , city lights and turn signals. The lights came with the stock ford wiring harness so ive used that to connect everything up. Now, ive installed the lights and harness in my car , connected the black wire to the negative side of the battery terminal, connected the red wire to the approprate 10A fuse in the fuse box, wired up the city and turn signal lights. Everything works perfectly except the part i bought the lights for in the first place , the hids. Highbeams work , signals work , city lights work , however the HID's do not start up. They were working yesterday when i picked them up , but not today.....anyone have any clues or ideas on why it wont work ?

Thanks a bunch
- Mike
Mike,Sep 16 2006, 07:06 PM Wrote:So i spent the big bucks and got a set of Mach HID's. Everything seemed to work fine when i picked up the lights , hids lit up , highbeams , city lights and turn signals. The lights came with the stock ford wiring harness so ive used that to connect everything up. Now, ive installed the lights and harness in my car , connected the black wire to the negative side of the battery terminal, connected the red wire to the approprate 10A fuse in the fuse box, wired up the city and turn signal lights. Everything works perfectly except the part i bought the lights for in the first place , the hids. Highbeams work , signals work , city lights work , however the HID's do not start up. They were working yesterday when i picked them up , but not today.....anyone have any clues or ideas on why it wont work ?

Thanks a bunch
- Mike
[right][snapback]207371[/snapback][/right]

did you make sure to pull the DRL?

[Image: 22-07-05_1140.jpg]

[/quote]

did you make sure to pull the DRL?

[Image: 22-07-05_1140.jpg]
[right][snapback]207378[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, is that why i have to put that red wire on the fuse in the fuse box ? And this is the first time that ive heard of pulling out the DRL relay, infact im going outside right now to do this...brb
when i had my hids on my focus i had nothing but problems and they wouldnt turn on. They would sometimes but then shut off.

reason is the drl only send 15watts of power to the lights and to power the hids you need 30. By only sending 15 you are not supplying enough power and can damage the ballast.

I never did the wire thing. I just drove around with our drls. Or sometimes I turned the switch so my parking lights were on.
ZX3TUNR,Sep 17 2006, 12:18 AM Wrote:when i had my hids on my focus i had nothing but problems and they wouldnt turn on. They would sometimes but then shut off.

reason is the drl only send 15watts of power to the lights and to power the hids you need 30. By only sending 15 you are not supplying enough power and can damage the ballast.

I never did the wire thing. I just drove around with our drls. Or sometimes I turned the switch so my parking lights were on.
[right][snapback]207393[/snapback][/right]
Ok , tried pulling the drl fuse/relay and still nothing happening. Is that redwire from the ford racing harness that accompanys the hid's supposed to go in that 10A fuse thats in the picture above there its the last red 10A fuse , kinda near where you told me to pull that relay. Or is the red wire supposed to go somewhere where the drl relay is plugged in ?

That red wire thing sounds like a workaround for the DRL problem.. I dont know about how they do the kit now though, I had to do the DIY harness adapter back when I got them so I just pulled my DRL relay and haven't had any problems.

One thing that frustrated me when I was first wiring them up and testing is that the lowbeam HID lights dont come on if the car isnt on. Like you can turn the switch to on when the car isn't on and the rest of the lights (parking lights, taillights) come on but the HID doesn't.
Problem solved.... Seems something was not connected properly. duhhhhh
You'll find they still occasionally don't fire up (with the DRL still enabled) - in my case it's most often the passenger side...the effect is very much minimized if you give the lights a second to fire up. The lights need a lot of power when they first start, but only for the first couple seconds. If you get them going for a second before you crank the car, they don't need as much to repower the ballast, and I've probably only had a couple times in the last year that the light wasn't on.

Mike,Sep 22 2006, 06:39 PM Wrote:Problem solved.... Seems something was not connected properly. duhhhhh
[right][snapback]208151[/snapback][/right]
Actually i dont have that problem , the fire every time all the time without delay. HID lighting of all kinds does not draw significantly higher amounts of power upon start up. Perhaps you are thinking of the initial strike that is required to vaporize the gases, which provided by the cap. They use 35 watts all the time.