FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Weird Sound When Shifting ....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, i just bought a 2003 Focus ZX3 and ... when i shift ... and press on the gas at at low rpm .. between 1,500 - 2,000 rpm ...there's this weird sound ...like something vibrating on something .... some sort of cranking noise .. Trrrrrrrr ........... its really weird :( But it stops when my RPM is past 2,500.. Can someone Help me !?!?
Thanks for your time ! B)
I know its hard but could you describe the sound a little better?

Is it an aftermarket clutch? Stock?
Wondering if it may be a 'rattle' under the car or in the car somewhere when it gets to a certain RPM which is possible.... maybe 'exhaust' even.

Any mods on your car?

Mileage?
gear rollover noise... its common
Yup. Common noise. Car sounds like a diesel when at low rpms.

I'm on my 3rd transmission because of it. It's harmless. (Ford kept replacing them before they realized it was a harmless flaw.)
I have this problem too. Mine has gotten alot worse since last summer though, and Im seriously thinking about a new tranny.
Mine does the rollover problem when at high rpm.....My mechanic said its wherethe car is use to shifting where the noise comes out in the tranny. he said it isn't such a harmless noise cause it is hard on the teeth of the gear(s) it's doin' it in.
Im asking about the performance stuff because I just had my tarnny inspected... and the gear roll over noise was not ok.

I just did my tranny a month ago, but that sound at idle was getting worse and worse so I caved in and brought it to a pro. He looked over everything, my intsall was done properly, and couldnt see anythign wrong with it. He asked if it would be ok to take the tranny apart, I said well its out now so lets do it. He found 4 bearings (not sure which ones) that were worn down. He told me he didnt think this would cause it and everything else was fine so he said we should probably replace the bearings and go from there....

I picked up the car last night, no more noise but it was at quite a cost. $30 for each bearing....4 of them....new fluid....then R&R for labour, but Im happy, the car 'locks' into gear so much better now, its amazing the difference these bearings made. I should have taken pics of the bearings and how they were wearing....this was a new guy that ive never gone to, but he was awsome. He called me to come see them, something not to many shops will do. Went to the shop....my whole tranny was in peices on the bench. Even the bearings were apart and he was showing me where along the bearing ring it was going up and down...so theyre was some 'play' in the actual bearing. Then he was showing me the actual 'ball' of teh bearing and showing me the tiny little pits in them causing the play and uneven wear.....

i was really impressed by his thourouness (sp)
The sound is comming from the left front side .... I have no mod on it..i had it for 1 month .. the sound is kind of ... loose part ... the only way to describe the sound is Trrrrrrr........ , or cranking niose ... and when I'm on a red light ... my clutch peddal is vibrating and tapping under my foot( not hard ...enough so you can feel it ..) ... its really weird ....
Sounds like your release bearing (throw-out bearing) and/or your clutch is almost done. I had the same problem on another car of mine, and it was due to the previous owner not being able to shift properly.

My ZX3 makes that gear rollover noise, and it does it in 3 gears now, wheras it was only 1st, then 1st and 2nd, and now 3 gears...guess it's time for a full rebuild and fluid change.

But it sounds like your problem isn't a gear rollover noise, as you mentioned feeling the clutch pedal tapping your foot...sounds like the bearing and/or clutch are both worn out, or almost worn out. Do your gear changes feel less acurate, and your clutch have less play in it?
i'M STILL STICKING WITH GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE
vibrating clutch pedal....nothing to do with gear roll over noise.

Im betting its the throw out bearing also. Either way, your opening the tranny.
I'm confused :( it makes me mad that my car that i only had for 1 month and a half does this s*** ! :/ Should i bring it to Ford ??? Will it cost me something ?
G1rlZX3dRiVeR,Sep 19 2006, 12:05 PM Wrote:I'm confused :(      it makes me mad that my car that i only had for 1 month and a half  does this s*** ! :/    Should i bring it to Ford ???  Will it cost me something ?
[right][snapback]207657[/snapback][/right]

you should take it to them just to check it out if it really is bothering you, even used you still have a warentee on the car so feel free to use it before it costs you money in the long run.
If its under warranty, Id def bring it in to Ford. If it isnt Id bring it to a tranny shop that you trust....will be cheaper that way.

If they do a removal and re-install of your tranny....min your looking at is $350-$400. Thats minimum. :blink:
Flofocus,Sep 19 2006, 08:23 AM Wrote:If its under warranty, Id def bring it in to Ford.  If it isnt Id bring it to a tranny shop that you trust....will be cheaper that way.

If they do a removal and re-install of your tranny....min your looking at is $350-$400.  Thats minimum. :blink:
[right][snapback]207665[/snapback][/right]

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeewww ..... thats expensive !!!!!! :yikes:
my car as been rattling for ever and never had to change anything.. i do have an aftermarket clutch though.. but it hasnt caused any problems.. i heard it was just how the transmission was and that it would never really be completely gone..

most likely the throw out bearing..

but thats just what i heard..
G1rlZX3dRiVeR,Sep 20 2006, 02:49 PM Wrote:Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeewww .....  thats expensive !!!!!!  :yikes:
[right][snapback]207805[/snapback][/right]

Tranny work is always exphensive and time consuming. I know it isn't my favorite thing to do on our cars. Chaging trannies while your on your back on a cement floor sucks balls. Big fawkin balls.
Flofocus,Sep 20 2006, 02:57 PM Wrote:
G1rlZX3dRiVeR,Sep 20 2006, 02:49 PM Wrote:Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeewww .....  thats expensive !!!!!!  :yikes:

Tranny work is always exphensive and time consuming. I know it isn't my favorite thing to do on our cars. Chaging trannies while your on your back on a cement floor sucks balls. Big fawkin balls.
[right][snapback]207808[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I remember when a bolt broke (fell inside) and i had to have the transmission taken out.. since i had to do it anyway, I changed my clutch at the same time.. cost me oh.. around 1300$ .. :o

So if you plan on changing anything in the transmission for aftermarket for example.. you should do all of it at the same time even though itll cost you an arm.. its cheaper than having the tranny taking out a second time..
BerinG,Sep 20 2006, 11:05 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Sep 20 2006, 02:57 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]207808[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I remember when a bolt broke (fell inside) and i had to have the transmission taken out.. since i had to do it anyway, I changed my clutch at the same time.. cost me oh.. around 1300$ .. :o

So if you plan on changing anything in the transmission for aftermarket for example.. you should do all of it at the same time even though itll cost you an arm.. its cheaper than having the tranny taking out a second time..
[right][snapback]207810[/snapback][/right]

1300$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! geez !! Well the noise isn't making my car run bad or anything ..its just not a normal sound ... :unsure: but i'll check it out at ford ...
Pages: 1 2