FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ghost Ship Mazdas Won't Be Sold As New
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ghost Ship Mazdas Won't Be Sold as New
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
September 2006

Mazda announced that the Mazda vehicles aboard the car-carrying vessel Cougar Ace — which ran into trouble on July 23, 2006, off the Alaskan coast, resulting in her listing some 60-plus degrees — will not be sold as new vehicles.

"While we do not, at this time, know the full extent of the damage to vehicles on board, none of the Mazdas will be sold as new," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO of MNAO in a news release. "It is possible that those vehicles which are undamaged or repairable will be made available for sale as used cars through Mazda's dealer network in the U.S. and Canada. We will only be in a position to decide on any used car sales once the vessel has been unloaded and each unit comprehensively inspected. Those beyond repair will be immediately scrapped."

"In the interest of transparency and customer peace of mind, we will post the vehicle identification numbers (VINs) of vehicles destined for sale on our consumer Websites, http://www.MazdaUSA.com and http://www.mazda.ca, so that there is no confusion as to which vehicles were on the ship," added O'Sullivan.

Slightly more than half of the cars are Mazda3s and about one-fourth are Mazda CX-7s. The vehicles were headed to the ports of Vancouver (Canada), Tacoma and Hueneme (U.S.).

The Cougar Ace sailed from Japan to North America with just over 4,700 Canadian- and U.S-bound Mazdas aboard. She became stricken when an issue developed during a routine ballast-water change caused her to list. Thanks to heroic efforts of the U.S. Coast Guard, all 23 crew members were transferred from the ship within hours.

After the ship was stabilized, she was towed to sheltered waters in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where she was returned to an even keel. She is currently under tow to the Port of Portland, Ore. Upon arrival, her cargo will be further evaluated and unloaded.
haha, sure they say that now,

just give it two months and they will be all sold as brand new cars.

they are in the process of getting hold of Paul. I'm sure he will just buff them right out :)

Paul, you better get the ACME polisher out and start working
So anyone looking to buy a Mazda should be checking the VIN numbers against the website because you know there are going to be shady dealers trying to sell these things as new.. or at least not tell the customer how they were "used".
ill take a "used MAZDASPEED 3"
Sign me up for a used RX8. If it is done honestly tho, could be some good deals to be had.
mo_focus,Sep 13 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:haha, sure they say that now,

just give it two months and they will be all sold as brand new cars.

they are in the process of getting hold of Paul. I'm sure he will just buff them right out :)

Paul, you better get the ACME polisher out and start working
[right][snapback]206939[/snapback][/right]

I'm still working on september 11 and katrina cars~!...no room for that mess yet!!
I can take over some of the workload for ya bunny!!! As long as I get to keep one of them.. my choice Rx8 of a mazdaspeed 6 ( maybe two)