FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 70% Of 2007 Vehicles Will Be Ipod Ready
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
70 Percent Of 2007 Vehicles Will Be iPod Ready
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
September 2006

More than 70 percent of the 2007 models to be sold in the United States will offer jacks and plug-in options to hook up Apple's iPod or other MP3 music players, Automotive News reported.

Digital music players, roughly the size of a cell phone, hold thousands of songs or sound files that can be organized in multiple ways.

Without built-in plugs, users can hook up iPods or MP3s in their vehicles by plugging them into a cigarette lighter and using a wireless adapter purchased separately.

In-car connections range from simple auxiliary jack adaptors that allow for manual operation of iPods and MP3s to advanced plug-in kits or dock connectors wired right into steering wheels and radio controls, the story said.

Most automakers now offer auxiliary audio input devices as either a factory- or dealer-installed option on some models. General Motors, Ford and Mazda announced this month that they will offer the option in new vehicles later this year. A new BMW iPod interface is now available across the lineup. Most Mercedes, Jaguar, Mini, Acura, Volkswagen, Volvo, Honda and Nissan (truck) models are equipped with adaptors. Even lower priced Toyota Scion and Suzuki models feature iPod connection devices. Chrysler now offers radios with a 3.5mm audio input jack for any MP3 player in most of its products. It also offers MP3 playback from a CD in most vehicles.
Pretty much iPod or Satellite radio will be a common stereo upgrade on all new cars. Even my parents car's radio has a button reserved for SAT and another for AUX.
Most aftermarket decks come with outputs as well now.
ANTHONYD,Sep 14 2006, 11:09 AM Wrote:Most aftermarket decks come with outputs as well now.
[right][snapback]207054[/snapback][/right]

Yeh! my '95 VW Factory Radio had 4-channel RCA OUTS and had Aux in with an adaptor. Not bad for factory!!!
paolo,Sep 15 2006, 08:55 AM Wrote:Yeh! my '95 VW Factory Radio had 4-channel RCA OUTS and had Aux in with an adaptor.  Not bad for factory!!!
[right][snapback]207185[/snapback][/right]

Not bad for 95!!!
Lot of aftermarket decks will accomodate that, as well as a usb slot and a sd card slot. The days of the mechanical disc player in cars are becoming fewer...

Although it's interesting that they wanna put "iPOD" integration into the vehicles, I wish they would call it MP3/WMA integration, as not EVERYONE has, or wants an ipod. I for one don't like them, and preffer other stuff...
Drivesthebeast,Sep 15 2006, 12:39 PM Wrote:Lot of aftermarket decks will accomodate that, as well as a usb slot and a sd card slot.  The days of the mechanical disc player in cars are becoming fewer...

Although it's interesting that they wanna put "iPOD" integration into the vehicles, I wish they would call it MP3/WMA integration, as not EVERYONE has, or wants an ipod.  I for one don't like them, and preffer other stuff...
[right][snapback]207239[/snapback][/right]

Thing is, rightly or wrongly, Apple is seen as a market leader and most manufacturers want to embrace the widest audience possible. In addition by doing do they can take advantage of the technology directly EX: Being able to access the iPod directly from the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

No other mp3 player has the penetration to convince an automaker to invest the $ integrating it that tightly into the factory system.

NefCanuck
bingo!!! as for wma/wmv/asf, i thought it died long time ago? who still uses windows media format?