FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Costly Focus....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So people, what kind of work have you done, or had done, to your Focus lately. I am not talking about performance or visual modifications. I am talking over and above scheduled maintenance?

I'll start...
In the past 2 months I have:

Replaced my pcv valve. $6
Replaced my fuel filter. $11
Replaced my idle control sensor. $156.80
Performed a motor vac $180
Replaced spark plugs $25 (I think)
Front wheel alignment $60

With the exception of the wheel alignment, all work performed was for poor idling and stalling during cold starts, poor accelration and hesitation.
I will let you know tomorrow if I have the same issues, I just had the ICS changed today because after changing everything else my CEL finally decided to come on and let me know the EXACT issue... Go figure.
Chalk another one up for why I love my Focus...

:angry:

A-T.

Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 02: Wrote:So people, what kind of work have you done, or had done, to your Focus lately. I am not talking about performance or visual modifications. I am talking over and above scheduled maintenance?[right][snapback]206814[/snapback][/right]
You should be stating year, and mileage on the car as well.

PVC valves, fuel filters and spark plugs are normal maintenance items.

Performed a motor vac? What, cleaned your motor?

Did you test the ICS before you replaced it?
For 2 years i've done very little besides mods.
- Oil every 5K
- Coil Harness - $60
- Thermostat Housing - ~ $70

thats it, knock on wood.
Nothing. Not even an oil change.

Although I did clean it yesterday for the first time since early June.
i have replaced the alternator - 600$
i have replaced the idler pully - 261$
i have replaced the o2 sensor - 200$
i have replaced the belt - 92$
plus all the labour - 500$

TO MUCH FOR THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
focusnme,Sep 13 2006, 10:09 AM Wrote:i have replaced the alternator - 600$

[right][snapback]206850[/snapback][/right]

CRIPES!!!
OAC_Sparky,Sep 13 2006, 02:39 AM Wrote:
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 02: Wrote:So people, what kind of work have you done, or had done, to your Focus lately. I am not talking about performance or visual modifications. I am talking over and above scheduled maintenance?[right][snapback]206814[/snapback][/right]
You should be stating year, and mileage on the car as well.

PVC valves, fuel filters and spark plugs are normal maintenance items.

Performed a motor vac? What, cleaned your motor?

Did you test the ICS before you replaced it?
[right][snapback]206817[/snapback][/right]

My 2002 ZX3 has 111,000 kms.
Agreed, PCV valves, fuel filters and spark plugs ARE normal maintenance items but according to the schedule PCV valves should be changed every 150,000 kms, mine was completely dead when changed at 108,000 kms.
Fuel filter change is at 50,000 km I had 2 changed already, this was my third.
The 3rd one was a charm, rusty gas was dripping from it. (I guess I should change my gas station... Esso.)
OEM spark plugs changed at 100,000kms (Platinums) on my third set as well because they weren't in very good condition.
However my plug wires were still ok! Woo hoo!

No I didn't just "Clean my motor". Here's a link for people who don't know.

http://www.icecoldauto.com/Motorvac/mv.htm

The motorvac was a suggestion of my mechanic (whom does great work for me) and man what a difference in performance!

Yes the ICS was tested and truly was no good. Besides my CEL kept coming on saying is was no good. I can only ignore it for so long.
I dont know if your complaining or just stating normal maintanace facts?

To the other guy:
600 and for an alternator is it made of gold?

200 for an O2 sensor? :huh:
2001 Focus SE sedan, ~98,000 KMs. Fairly modded.

Vacuum hose, brakes once (and once again under new parts warranty), fuel filter recently, fuel pump / filter when bought 2 1/2 years ago. Some is regular maintenance, some were annoyances. All in all it's a trouble-free car. I'm due for my timing belt shortly. I replaced the serpentine accessory belt this January when we added the UDP. All in all I don't think I've spent more than 600 in 2 1/2 years on non-regular maintenance.

I DID spend $400+ last winter, but that was self-induced (smacked the tranmission pan off a frost heave).

The front springs broke and would have been done under warranty had I not replaced everything with the S2 suspension anyways.

The install of the suspension was about $500, including a 4-wheel alignment. That was self-induced as well (S2 suspension upgrade).
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 11: Wrote:My 2002 ZX3 has 111,000 kms.
Agreed, PCV valves, fuel filters and spark plugs ARE normal maintenance items but according to the schedule PCV valves should be changed every 150,000 kms, mine was completely dead when changed at 108,000 kms.
Fuel filter change is at  50,000 km I had 2 changed already, this was my third.
The 3rd one was a charm, rusty gas was dripping from it. (I guess I should change my gas station... Esso.)
OEM spark plugs changed at 100,000kms (Platinums) on my third set as well because they weren't in very good condition.
However my plug wires were still ok! Woo hoo!

No I didn't just "Clean my motor". Here's a link for people who don't know.

http://www.icecoldauto.com/Motorvac/mv.htm

The motorvac was a suggestion of my mechanic (whom does great work for me) and man what a difference in performance!

Yes the ICS was tested and truly was no good. Besides my CEL kept coming on saying is was no good. I can only ignore it for so long.
[right][snapback]206861[/snapback][/right]

Look, I'm not trying to bust your balls, the point I'm making is that a bunch of stuff on your list is either "normal maintenance" or "unneeded".

Replaced my pcv valve. $6 >> Ok it lasted 108k instead of 150k (I change mine in all my cars at no more than 70k, but ok, I'll give you that.)
Replaced my fuel filter. $11 (You admitted to having bad gas)
Replaced my idle control sensor. $156.80 (not normal)
Performed a motor vac $180 (Sorry, for $180 it had better include a blowjob, most of that stuff can be done under $75, including a pressurized injector clean)
Replaced spark plugs $25 (I think) If you changed your originals at 100k, you're at 111k new, and you're on your third set? You changed your plugs twice in 11k?? Seems kinda strange to me.
Front wheel alignment $60 Ok

So the real "over and above routine" maintenance was 6+157+60=$223 for a 4 year old car at 111k.

Doesn't seem worthy of the quote

Quote:Chalk another one up for why I love my Focus...

:iono:
focusnme,Sep 13 2006, 10:09 AM Wrote:i have replaced the alternator - 600$

[right][snapback]206850[/snapback][/right]
Just got off the phone with the dealer.

2002 ZTW w/ Zetec (SPI is less)

Alternator $260
Idler Pulley $30
O2 sensor $168
Serpentine belt $45

$500 to install? Even at dealership flat rate $90 an hour, the flat rate is 3.0 hours, another .5 if your alternator bolts are seized. So 3.5@$90 +PST+GST= $360.

These prices are on a Zetec where the labour is higher than the SPI

So if you paid $1653 for a repair that the dealer would or should have charged $935 taxes in, you need a new mechanic.
OAC = 1pt :D

"...s***ty Ford's..." :lol: Maintenance related items aren't Ford's fault. Is there such thing as a trouble free vehicle anyway, or just ones that put up with crap and cost more down the road?
2002 ZTS

177000km

bought the car in September 2005

so far had to change

1) Thermostat Housing - $200 !!!! with the labour

2) Spark plug wires (number 4 wire went off) - $45 (APC)

3) Coil harness (wire broke off, remember what happened at the focus BBQ? so yea) - $10 at the junk yard

Look, I'm not trying to bust your balls, the point I'm making is that a bunch of stuff on your list is either "normal maintenance" or "unneeded".

Replaced my pcv valve. $6 >> Ok it lasted 108k instead of 150k (I change mine in all my cars at no more than 70k, but ok, I'll give you that.)

Replaced my idle control sensor. $156.80 (not normal)

No, not normal, I agree, but it did happen...

Performed a motor vac $180 (Sorry, for $180 it had better include a blowjob, most of that stuff can be done under $75, including a pressurized injector clean)

This one I like.. very witty.

Replaced spark plugs $25 (I think) If you changed your originals at 100k, you're at 111k new, and you're on your third set? You changed your plugs twice in 11k?? Seems kinda strange to me.

No, I should've made it a little more clear. Ford recommends changing platinums at 100000, mine was changed at 60,000 and now at 108,000 (+ the originals, that makes 3). You like changing PCV valves I like changing plugs.

Front wheel alignment $60 Ok

So the real "over and above routine" maintenance was 6+157+60=$223 for a 4 year old car at 111k.

Doesn't seem worthy of the quote.

I guess I've been spoiled with my Honda.

Quote:Chalk another one up for why I love my Focus...

:iono:
[right][snapback]206874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Todate I have spent $3,944.99 on my car and I bought it in nov. 2003 and it had 57,670kms on it, and it currently has 178,589kms

it's a 2001 Ford Focus Street Edition Sedan.

I'm did not inclued the snow bank crash or any Euro replacements with it, this is all from my service records and parts invoices and such.
I've got a 2002 ZX3 with around 45,000km on it and haven't had any problems at all with it. The only money I've spent is on regular maintanence stuff like oil changes, and mods.
Alien-Tek,Sep 13 2006, 02: Wrote:I guess I've been spoiled with my Honda.
[right][snapback]206899[/snapback][/right]
I guess you have been, seeing how Honda plugs change themselves, have self-cleaning fuel filters and PVC valves, align and clean themselves. :rolleyes:

Would have saved you a lot of whining. If your Honda was flawless, where is it now?
OAC_Sparky,Sep 13 2006, 06:06 PM Wrote:
I guess you have been, seeing how Honda plugs change themselves, have self-cleaning fuel filters and PVC valves, align and clean themselves. :rolleyes:

Would have saved you a lot of whining. If your Honda was flawless, where is it now?
[right][snapback]206962[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

pnwed!

:lol:

No all that stuff is changed during regular maintenance without any incident.
...and who is whining?! I was just curious what other people have changed/fixed on their cars.
By the way, the honda.... still sitting in the driveway next to my Focus.

Nice try!
Pages: 1 2 3