FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wedding Photographer Required
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Great advice everywhere !

clicky
Mostly everything has been covered here, but one point I'd like to emphasize (if it hasn't been already) is to research your photographers. Get references if possible.

I know when we chose ours, we got good references for our photog from everybody that we talked too. Another that we were interested in was panned by 2 out of the 3 people we spoke with for his unwillingness to incorporate what they wanted. Sure, his pics were good, but he was an @$$. Didn't want to diverge from his idea of the perfect wedding shoot.

Now, from seeing Meford's wife's work, I'd just go with her is she's willing... :D

Ryan
Alright I'll chime in here.

We had Bryan's wife photograph our wedding in July.

She did a fine job. We love the shots she captured and will hold them dear for a long time. Now to figure out how to blow some of them up :P (just need to find the time)

We could have gone balls to the wall and ordered the 12 hour package with video and picture cake with free t-shirts ot all guests but we opted not to.

We had disposable cameras on all the tables and though the shots we got from them were far form good, we got to see the party in ways we hadn't seen.

I agree with Meford in letting your guests know to stay away from the photographer.

Your guests are your extended photographers. I never thought there would be so many pictures taken at our wedding. Wer'e still getting them. Email, snail mail, family gatherings...pictures EVERYWHERE!

And suprisingly....a lot of our guests pictures were of shots our photographer missed. Let;s be honest, a photographer can only push the button so many times. They're not going to catch EVERYTHING...That's why it;s important to have your guests snapping away as well.

-a.
meford4u,Sep 13 2006, 09:15 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 13 2006, 08:34 PM Wrote:Maybe it wasn't clear... I wasn't attacking YOU. I wasn't attacking photographers. But let's be fair here - anyone can work a computer and anyone can work a camera. The results with each will vary widely for both amateur and professional in both fields.

Did we claim to be professionals? No! This was a conscious choice that my wife made in that she felt that the cost of professional photography being offered in the area didn't justify past results. We also wanted videography and I really don't see what's so bad about doing it yourself. CTV won't be knocking down our door with videographer job offers, but when you combine a decent quality camera with a decent tripod... it's hard to screw it up. Roll the tape, leave the camera alone and let the day unfold. I was more than pleased with the results.

You're more than welcome to learn all about computers in your spare time and when you're comfortable to start with the little things... jump right in! There aren't enough competent IT guys around, and the industry could stand some part-time relief.

No offense man, but you're viewing the potential shots and potential outcome in too narrow of a light. Not everyone wants the same shots or setups. :)
[right][snapback]206978[/snapback][/right]

How could you ever justify this as a response. The fact is you cheaped out.

I don't claim to be a professional IT guy and you don't claim to be a professional photographer. Great.
But you lose the dimension of the arguement that you think you can do the same job with little to no cost that a professional can. No way.
First, where did that camera come from?
a $500 camera versus a $5000 camera are night and day. You will and do notice a difference in the quality of the picture.
Second, you still have to pay for developing. The average cost to us for developing a wedding is $250, and that is at pro rates. It would cost you nearly double that.
Third, your time. Wouldn't you rather have your guest enjoy themselves at your wedding instead of dealing with photography? And since they are not getting paid, there is no obligation on their part to be there to capture the important moments.
Say what you want, but you cheaped out.
[right][snapback]206987[/snapback][/right]

I know this thread is largely dead, but where did I state that I'm doing the work of a PROFESSIONAL? I didn't, and I didn't claim the others did either.

Yeah, we "cheaped out" because we paid for the whole thing ourselves, cash, including the honeymoon and bought a house 2 months after the honeymoon. Your problem with that is? Go ahead, ask the only one that matters how she feels about the photography and the videography on our day. After telling you off, she'll likely tell you it was fantastic.

As for the guys doing the work, they volunteered to use our gear. They were ecstatic that they were that involved in the wedding and they said they were honoured to be chosen to do that stuff. They did it willingly and they did it without fail. The work isn't "professional" :rolleyes: but given what we got, really... I couldn't be happier.

If you feel we're "burning" professional photographers, then that's too bad. I guess you feel "burnt" by guys that paint their own cars and now you'll launch an offensive against backyard mechanics now that the boy is becoming a licensed mechanic. Give your head a shake. Your way is not always the right way for everyone.

EDIT - I missed the developing crack. I haven't run the numbers, but we've been buying the best HP photo paper you can buy, period, and printing the pictures at their native pixel depth (4MP and up) onto 4x6 and 5x7 paper for now. The result? Until you're under 8-9" from the paper, you can't tell it's digital nor "unprofessional". Good photo printers can do that now, you know.
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 15 2006, 05:10 PM Wrote:The result? Until you're under 8-9" from the paper, you can't tell it's digital nor "unprofessional". Good photo printers can do that now, you know.
[right][snapback]207280[/snapback][/right]
Not getting into your tiff... just wanted to say "be careful", even the best photo printers fade or blurr over time.
Here is my response.................
[Image: flogging.jpg]
Between meford and NOS everything regarding Photography has been covered but have you tought about where you're going to take your photos? when I got married I booked Guildwood park in Scarborough a very nice park with allot of architectural features that even in late April looked good enough for our special day. Also even if it costs you a few extra bucks book an indoor backup just because its your wedding day doesn't mean that mother nature will co-operate with nice weather.

Laterz :)
Yes we are going to book the Guild Inn grounds. Which I think is the same place you are talking about. We have also looked at a couple places for indoor shots. Things are coming together nicely even though we are just under a year away.
Pages: 1 2