FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: f***ing Ups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
wow, talk about rapage.

does SOMEONE know of a shipping company who doesnt rape us Canadianns up the ass when bringing stuff over the border?

I want to find a shipping company who actually cares about Canadians, im getting charged $50 f***ing dollars to bring a cylinder head over the border.

absolute bulls***
Is that 50 bucks for shipping, duty and taxes in?

I could really see that. Doesn't sound like a bad rip off to me.

Did you get a stock head or a ford racing/cosworth head?
PerfectSaiyan,Sep 12 2006, 06:35 PM Wrote:does SOMEONE know of a shipping company who doesnt rape us Canadianns up the ass when bringing stuff over the border?[right][snapback]206734[/snapback][/right]
I'm assuming you're talking about the brokerage fee. UPS is the worst.

US Post. $7ish flat rate

DHL $15ish last time I used them.

Even Fedex I can live with.

UPS sucks.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=18169

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=14594

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=14594

I don't know how far you are from the border, but if they only ship UPS I get stuff shipped to the border to the UPS Depot in the US, I go over and pick it up.
I've shipped tons of stuff over from USA, on average it's a ALOT MORE then $50.00... that is pretty low for a big price item.
yea mine charges are usually from $20 -$50. canada lives on taxing people....
NikiterZTS,Sep 12 2006, 07:23 PM Wrote:yea mine charges are usually from $20 -$50.    canada lives on taxing people....
[right][snapback]206743[/snapback][/right]
You rarely pay duty any more. You may get charges PST and GST, that's no different than anywhere else in Canada.

The "brokerage fee" that UPS charges has absolutely nothing to do with the government, it has to do with UPS paying a dock worker $5 to fill out some papers and pocketing the other $45.
We use DHL at work and there the best
to answer all the replies:

I spent $700 on a fully built cylinder head:

Cylinder Head was built by focaljet member: Sprout877
1mm valves oversized on intake and exhaust,
crower titanium retainers/springs,
valves are made by esslinger and are Stainless Steel,
ported, polished by a Motorsports shop out of.. I dont know, but the guys username who did the porting is named Winkty (I think he works at a shop in Pittsburgh)

very heavy duty components, I think I got a really good deal considering this is rated at higher durability than the FR head, and the FR head is over $1000 (but with core charge, is still $150 more expensive). he decalred it at $100USD for a sale (I hope).. But ive been getting screwed for the past 4 week from UPS:

1. FC Spark Plug Cover: Paid $40 for the part = $21.05 in brokerage
2. Built Cylinder Head: Paid $700 for the part (declared at $100) = $50.04.

I have been calling shipping companies all day long to find out their brokerage policies. and ups has the dumbest way out of all of them.

Now, for the statement of fact that every single one of us should know:

UPS: charges way too much for brokerage fees
Fedex: charges a tad bit less than UPS, but still too expensive
USPS: doesnt charge brokerage fees, but will charge you customs (better)

and,
DHL:

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with their representative. Their policy is the best one I have seen so far, it makes it SO much worth it to ship with DHL (who hands it off to Purolator in some cities) They charge you a percentage based on CUSTOM FEES encurred at the border. say you spent $4000 on a turbo. the customs people charge you $200 for customs. what DHL does, is only charges you 2.5% on the CUSTOMS, not the sale price of the package, the CUSTOMS, yes you heard me right.

there is a minimum charge of $7, so if there are no customs fees, you will be charged $7 for them to do all their paperwork etc, UPS wants $32 (flat rate) for doing that. 2.5% on $200 is $4, henceforth you should be automatically charged the $7.

I was told that they do NOT care whatsoever about the total cost of the package, they ONLY care about the customs charges. this makes DHL the #1 shipping company to deal with when shipping out of the United States, and want to avoid the big rapeage.

I have since cancelled my TireRack order and are relying only on companies who let me choose my shipping companies (on big ticket items) I was in communication with Ricardo at F2 Focus, when he was shopping around for a new shipping company to make the cost of shipping his kits to us cheaper, and I showed him this information, and he has now gone with DHL, so it must be good.

let me know if you have any questions, they said that this policy is available on their website.

but for now.. f*** UPS!

-edit-

the STUPID thing is, if you declare it as a gift, you dont get charged brokerage fees. I didnt have to pay a cent in brokerage when my PWSC was delivered
ok man this is like now many times you complain about UPS? I feel no sympathy for you. AVOID them, if someone won't ship with someone else then get it somewhere else.

hardk0re,Sep 12 2006, 10:47 PM Wrote:ok man this is like now many times you complain about UPS?  I feel no sympathy for you.  AVOID them, if someone won't ship with someone else then get it somewhere else.
[right][snapback]206781[/snapback][/right]

Guess some people just don't learn. Hopefully he's learned after this last incident.
When shopping on ebay i found some nice speakers for the truck, found out they ship UPS i said F*** it.... I will never buy something and have them ship it to me by UPS, EVER!!!!

So yes F*** UPS
well I ranted, and then let everyone know policies, I could take them away and keep them to myself and then you can all learn for yourselves. or leanr from my forgetting to say no ups :P

whenever something like this happens, I always seem to receieve a GST cheque in the mail.. good times
I remember when I worked in retail, and I belonged to a web community that you occasionally got freebies. So, I got a Nomad MP3 player (back when they were new $150 for a 64 MB) and a cheap sh!++y golf shirt. I paid $40 in fees from DHL. For FREE stuff. No cost to me. The problem? They actually put the actual value on the package. Damn honest people... :)

UPS on the other hand, I now bring my own lube. I bought a video card on Ebay for $40 USD. I had to pay UPS $40 in brokerage fees. I learned my lesson and have since never ever shipped UPS again.

Ryan
USPS... it's all I use when having s*** sent from the States. I get computer parts in all the time from other members of my Folding@Home teammates and I've NEVER had issues.

UPS is always giving it to the customer up the Hershey Highway... that's why their colour is just BROWN. :lol:
it mainly depends on the value of the package, but it seems like their minimal charge is 7fold of that of DHL
hmm I've never really paid these fees before even on items coming from Germany, the United Kingdom (UK) or the States mainly because everyone I delt with always puts Gift on the Item, and writes Happy Birthday!

only thing I paid any extra dutie or fees on was the ST170 headlights as the box was so big.
A good rule is if a seller wont ship with USPS, dont buy from that seller.