FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Laptop Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys ......i need some help on computer stuff i'm picking a laptop and have a few ideas but i was just wondering if you could tell me the differences between some .....

some things i was currious to was ...do u recomend ...AMD or INTEL.
i'm also probally going to want to play a game or two on it also so i wouldnt mind a graphic card .....

so my choices i was looking at were :

but then i saw one with some more features ( light scribe, bigger hard drive )

#2 (intel)

and then i found one almost the same as above but amd ....and it looks like it has a sound card

#3 (AMD)

also best buy is offering a discount on sunday from 6 till 9 they are offering $150 off laptop purchases of $1000

so now i've confused my self and dont know what to pick !
HELP FC !!!!

thanks
jc
_JC_,Sep 9 2006, 12:53 AM Wrote:hey guys ......i need some help on computer stuff i'm picking a laptop and have a few ideas but i was just wondering if you could tell me the differences between some .....

some things i was currious to was ...do u recomend ...AMD or INTEL.
i'm also probally going to want to play a game or two on it also so i wouldnt mind a graphic  card .....

so my choices i was looking at were :

but then i saw one with some more features ( light scribe, bigger hard drive )

#2 (intel)

and then i found one almost the same as above but amd ....and it looks like it has a sound card

#3 (AMD)

also best buy is offering a discount on sunday from 6 till 9 they are offering $150 off laptop purchases of $1000 

so now i've confused my self and dont know what to pick ! 
HELP FC !!!! 

thanks
jc
[right][snapback]206263[/snapback][/right]

i found some more info ......THE INTEL has a onboard video card
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900/950

Shader Model 2
4 Pipelines
The Intel GMA 900 and 950 are some of the worst integrated parts on the market; this you’ve probably heard. What you don’t really expect is just how bad they are. While they can certainly benchmark fairly close to the Radeon Xpress series, in actual practice their performance is much less fluid, and they have much less compatibility. While these are fine for the average computer user, if you plan on playing any games released after Unreal Tournament 2004 (which itself doesn’t run that well on either part), these are not for you.

and the AMD's card is alittle better

nVidia GeForce Go 6100 / 6150

Shader Model 3
2 Pipelines
It took them long enough to return to the integrated graphics market, but with AMD’s release of the Turion 64 X2, nVidia has entered with a very powerful integrated part. The GeForce Go 6150 can be considered the fastest integrated part on the market, albeit winning in sometimes small margins against the X200. The Shader Model 3 support is borderline irrelevant, however, as the core just simply isn’t powerful enough to really take advantage of it. It is, however, the only integrated part that can comfortably run Doom 3, and it can play most games at low resolutions and medium/low settings. While a casual gamer will want to get a dedicated part, if you’re really strapped, you could do worse.

My PC is full of AMD. AMD is my suggestion but only cause i like AMD
I have a Toshiba with an intel P4, 3.20Ghz, Hyperthreading, and a ATi mobile radeon video card/graphics card, Mutsus***a (panasonic) Multi-super optical DVD drive with burner, etc etc.

Only prob I have with it, is it's short on RAM, and I am looking to upgrade that to make everything quicker and smoother. Not really any real problems with it. My experiences hava always been with Intel and ATi products...