FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Winds Down Minivan Production
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Winds Down Minivan Production
The Daily Auto Insider
Tuesday, September 5, 2006
September 2006

Production of the Mercury Monterey has ended and production of the Freestar will halt next spring, according to a report in The Detroit News.

Ford's minivan sales have tanked in the face of competition from rivals such as Chrysler — inventor of the minivan and long the segment leader — and Toyota and Honda.

The move means Ford will be the first major automaker to stop selling traditional minivans, once one of the hottest segments in the U.S. market.

In its place, Ford is developing a new generation family-hauler based on the Ford Fairlane concept unveiled at the 2005 Detroit auto show.
Ask Meford about this.

Apparently, the new vehicles Oakville is going to be pumping out are quite nice.

I've seen them. WOW!
Watching Ford trying in the minivan market was at times interesting, other times infuriating but entertaining, in that train wreck kind of way.

Heres hoping that whatever Ford produces next is a hit for them 'cause when it came to minivans Ford is the strikeout king until now <_<

NefCanuck
I still remember when Car & Driver tested the Freestyle for the first time. They commented on how Ford had finally made a good minivan. :ph34r:

Ryan
The new crossovers coming out of Oakville are really nice looking. Way out of my price range but if i could afford one when i'm looking for a new car next year they'd be on my list for sure.
Yep we are set to start full production of the new models (Edge and MKX) on Nov 2nd.

I'm currently a V-unit (Freestar/Monterey) operator and my job is scheduled for elimination in April '07.
The crossovers are NICE.

Even I think so. :lol: