FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Home Renovations...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys.

Nik, before you read any further, try another thread.... there is nothing about Subarus, turbos or lap times in here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wife and i are looking to upsize somewhere near the lake in Oakville or Burlington, and have noticed that the majority of homes we've looked at need a new kitchen.

Now, we do know that the typical kitchen should be between 10%-15% of the value of the home.
600K house = 60k kitchen.

That's about all I know.

Do any of you grown ups here know of a good place to get some consultation regarding a complete renovation? We've been to the Home Depot, and Rona in town, and though I'm sure they're capable, I'm not sure I would be getting the calibre of product I'm looking for.

I'm a cook (second passion) and have visions of what a nice kitchen is, so I'm prepared to pay the coin to have quality stuff installed.

Anyone know of a place, or person I could get in contact with?

thanks dudes.

anthony.
Just looking around the internet, I came across kitchendesignersplus.com. located in the GTA. Looked interesting.
you may have to do some homework on this. Check the yellowpages, interview people and check up on references... All things you should do even if you're referred to someone IMO.
my dad builds custom kitchens. if you want i can give you his number
ANTHONYD,Sep 30 2009, 09:25 AM Wrote:Hey Guys.

Nik, before you read any further, try another thread.... there is nothing about Subarus, turbos or lap times in here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wife and i are looking to upsize somewhere near the lake in Oakville or Burlington, and have noticed that the majority of homes we've looked at need a new kitchen.

Now, we do know that the typical kitchen should be between 10%-15% of the value of the home.
600K house = 60k kitchen.

That's about all I know.

Do any of you grown ups here know of a good place to get some consultation regarding a complete renovation? We've been to the Home Depot, and Rona in town, and though I'm sure they're capable, I'm not sure I would be getting the calibre of product I'm looking for.

I'm a cook (second passion) and have visions of what a nice kitchen is, so I'm prepared to pay the coin to have quality stuff installed.

Anyone know of a place, or person I could get in contact with?

thanks dudes.

anthony.
[right][snapback]295121[/snapback][/right]

I had these guys do a kitchen in one of my condos - definitely not cheap - in fact one of the more expensive companies but fantastic designs and great product and install quality.

Downview Kitchens

Also: IIRC dblast (Vince) works for a high-end kitchen mfg (but he's in finance so don't bother asking for FC.net discount)
ZTWsquared,Sep 30 2009, 09:44 AM Wrote:Downview Kitchens

There's a Downsview Kitchen showroom by my place -- they do look top-notch from the street.
Another option you may want to consider Anthony is IKEA.

I've been impressed by how their designs make use of available space and when the time comes to redo my kitchen in the condo, I'll probably look there as one of my top choices.

With the caveat that AFAIK, IKEA subcontracts out installs, so you'd need to ask at your local IKEA who is on their list so that you could check on the reputation of the subcontractor.

NefCAnuck
Raywal Kitchens

I can get you a "Friends and Family" discount.
They are both located in Guelph, but both great companies!

http://www.bamcowoodworking.com

http://www.barzotti.com
Anthony, it all depends on what you want to do. Is this an old house? Are they going to expand the kitchen or just replace cabinets? Also how is the house itself, as you know when you start taking things apart then you have to obey new codes and regulations for that area. Like replacing the wiring if its not copper, having ground on all recepticles. Are you going to install pot lights in that area. Ventilation for the gas stove. Also does the kitchen have gas at the moment, i'm assuming you would want a gas stove/oven if you are the cook :)

So once you have the answers to that then you can decide if you want to be the general contrator and just find a cabinet maker/electrictian/mechanical contractor or just hire a GC that you trust that could do the job.

I have lot of GC's and deal with them on big projects, let me know if you need any contact and i will be glad to pass them on to you.
mo_focus,Sep 30 2009, 12:06 PM Wrote:Anthony, it all depends on what you want to do. Is this an old house? Are they going to expand the kitchen or just replace cabinets? Also how is the house itself, as you know when you start taking things apart then you have to obey new codes and regulations for that area. Like replacing the wiring if its not copper, having ground on all recepticles. Are you going to install pot lights in that area. Ventilation for the gas stove. Also does the kitchen have gas at the moment, i'm assuming you would want a gas stove/oven if you are the cook :)

So once you have the answers to that then you can decide if you want to be the general contrator and just find a cabinet maker/electrictian/mechanical contractor or just hire a GC that you trust that could do the job.

I have lot of GC's and deal with them on big projects, let me know if you need any contact and i will be glad to pass them on to you.
[right][snapback]295151[/snapback][/right]

Hey Mo.

All the houses we've looked are around 50 years old.
Once we end up buying a house, I plan on having a company come in and do it all.
Most kitchen places I have spoken to will rip out, move walls, assemble, and install. I'd be looking for a place that can do a real soup to nuts job. Everything from the bottom up.

I can demolish the old kitchen, not a problem... it's everything from that point on.

My brother-in-law is a licensed electrician so I'm not too worried about electrical.

We're in the research phase of the job and knowing how much a typical kitchen costs will determine what kind of mortgage we'll sign up for.
I want to know that if I'm looking at house that costs "x" number of dollars, I'm going to need "x" number of dollars for a kitchen.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

And you Flo can gargle my hairy beanbag :P
You might be able to save some money at DirectBuy.com . I haven't used them myself but my neighbour is a member and he likes it. If you're planning on spending that much on a kitchen it might be worth your while to spend on a membership. They have a showroom in Stoney Creek.
Im currently re-branding this company right now:
Cabinet Dimensions

They have been around for awhile and the companies they deal with are Canadian.

Im in the same boat with you on the house, the Orchard is getting to busy, especially Appleby line.

One thing I found is with Oakville the property tax is way to high.

If you go the Burlington route: Caroline St from Brant to Maple, anything going toward the lake is nice.
NefCanuck,Sep 30 2009, 10:26 AM Wrote:Another option you may want to consider Anthony is IKEA.

I've been impressed by how their designs make use of available space and when the time comes to redo my kitchen in the condo, I'll probably look there as one of my top choices.

With the caveat that AFAIK, IKEA subcontracts out installs, so you'd need to ask at your local IKEA who is on their list so that you could check on the reputation of the subcontractor.

NefCAnuck
[right][snapback]295138[/snapback][/right]

Our new house (new to us) has an Ikea kitchen in it, and I'm actually quite surprised at how well it is made. Not quite custom quality, but better than the Home Depot off-the-shelf stuff I've seen.
I'm surprised you didn't PM me. I've been doing renos for years now and have friends and contacts all over the industry.

There is an auction house on HWy#6 called Bryan's auction services. No, I don't own it. They have home renovation auctions every 6-8 weeks and sell off full kitchens. And by full, I mean your going to have more than enough cupboards for most kitchens with a few left over. I realize you want someone to come in and do everything for you, but the money you could save by you being the genreal contractor and hiring all your own trades is worth while.

Either way, if you need advice, PM me. I'm extremely busy right now with Ford and a few side jobs, so there is no way I could tackle your renovation, but I can come and look and give some advice.
meford4u,Sep 30 2009, 02:03 PM Wrote:I'm surprised you didn't PM me.  I've been doing renos for years now and have friends and contacts all over the industry.

There is an auction house on HWy#6 called Bryan's auction services.  No, I don't own it.  They have home renovation auctions every 6-8 weeks and sell off full kitchens.  And by full, I mean your going to have more than enough cupboards for most kitchens with a few left over.  I realize you want someone to come in and do everything for you, but the money you could save by you being the genreal contractor and hiring all your own trades is worth while.

Either way, if you need advice, PM me.  I'm extremely busy right now with Ford and a few side jobs, so there is no way I could tackle your renovation, but I can come and look and give some advice.
[right][snapback]295165[/snapback][/right]

thanks honey.
I'm currently in the "learning all about it mode" so I'll let you know when we get a place!

a.
ANTHONYD,Sep 30 2009, 08:25 AM Wrote:Hey Guys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[right][snapback]295121[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

OAC_Sparky,Sep 30 2009, 11:47 AM Wrote:You might be able to save some money at DirectBuy.com . I haven't used them myself but my neighbour is a member and he likes it. If you're planning on spending that much on a kitchen it might be worth your while to spend on a membership. They have a showroom in Stoney Creek.
[right][snapback]295158[/snapback][/right]

Be sure to google opinions on Direct Buy or look up the CBC show Market Place episode about them...I won't give my opinion on them, but definetly research them a bit before walking into one of their show rooms...

I will however recommend Kitchen Designers Plus. :)