FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: From The "railway"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/log...oosonee%202006/

This is just a handful from the trip to Moosonee. The big bridge shot is actually 1.8KMs in length over the Moose River. Yes, I am a train nut :P

Flamers and others know where they can stick negative comments.

If you like the solace of the North and you espouse how much you love the "solitude" of Algonquin, you need to make this trip at least once. :) I'll update it as I get time.
I like the photo's. My aunt who lives in England volunteers at a steam railway society. I have thrown coal in a fire box, pulled switches in a switch house. I enjoy train travel. I enjoy every time I get to go and visit. I know where you are at, maybe...
I was born and raised up north so I can appreciate the scenery of your trip. Some awfully nice wilderness up there!

Wow that bridge is long!!
Very nice pics!

I'll have to scan all of the photos one day from when I lived in Pittsburgh. Probably a good 10 rolls of film or so sitting on a shelf needing to be sorted out and put into books. Or, since i'm lazy, find a place that can do bulk scanning or whatever.
Adam:

Not sure why but your shots are really lacking colour.

Not sure if it's a setting on your camera or if it;s something you need to do in post.

before:

[Image: DSC_0206.jpg]

After:

[Image: DSC_0206.jpg]

I know it looks like ass. I did in in 3.5 minutes.

But you see what I mean?

Nice shots overall though.
Not sure d00d. A lot of the vibrant colours really came out in other photos. I'll try to get more uploaded tonight. But a few things came to mind as I was thinking the same thing while reviewing them last night:

- that bridge really IS that old and really DOES look like that :lol:

- all shots unless I'm clearly not on the train were taken while ON the train. So I've got two layers of tempered, dirty safety glass to shoot through. I had a guy next to me all the way up with a Nikon D200 and a Sigma 70-200mm tele lens and he was getting the same thing... and cursing all the while :lol:

- I checked my settings and it's set to the IIIa sRGB colour settings that it has been on since I got it. I've also made sure the lens was nice and clean, etc etc. I haven't tweaked saturation, white balance or anything else along those lines.

Also, it's pure muskeg there. The trees aren't that green at all :D

Some better shots:

Following a tad too close! (taken from the dining car after supper)

[Image: th_DSC_0667.jpg]

The Cochrane railway station and restaurant, before we shipped out to Moosonee Saturday
[Image: th_DSC_0065.jpg]

150-year old stained glass of the Anglican Church on Moose Factory Island depicting the founder, Bishop Horden
[Image: th_DSC_0453.jpg]
There ya go.

The train shot is better!
Did you have any filters on the lens? A circular polarizer would definately help. It would minimize the glass reflections and the internal refractions between the glass panes.

Ryan
No filters just yet, I'm still getting sorted out. I've got a new hobby coming this fall that will be competing with the camera for funds. <_<
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 2 2006, 03:03 PM Wrote:No filters just yet, I'm still getting sorted out. I've got a new hobby coming this fall that will be competing with the camera for funds.  <_<
[right][snapback]205178[/snapback][/right]

Just check Ebay for the filter size you are looking for. You can sometimes steal s circ-pol for about $10. B)

Great pictures nontheless though! :)

Ryan
I work with the railway here in Labrador City,NL..I am an Engineman in training..I love it, its the best job ever!!