FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Dog Sprained It's Tail! *help Dog Owners*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We were up at the cottage this weekend and my dog woke up Sunday with a really sore tail. We spent all day saturday swimmimng and water skiing (not the dog...she was in the boat spotting) Come Sunday, she couldn't wag it.

Worried me at first because that's how she communicates...and her tail is NEVER down. Not unless something is really wrong.

I looked it up on the internet lastnight and it said it's VERY common and will heal itself.

It said to give her an anti-inflamitory if you have one. :blink:

Is there something I can buy at the drugstore that will be safe for her? (child tylenol?)

Dog owners...let me know!

I'd rather not gotot the vet and shell out 150 bucks for nothing.
ANTHONYD,Aug 28 2006, 08:43 AM Wrote:We were up at the cottage this weekend and my dog woke up Sunday with  a really sore tail....Come Sunday, she couldn't wag it....
[right][snapback]204291[/snapback][/right]

Holy s***!!

How much did you have to drink?!!?

microbunny,Aug 28 2006, 09:05 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Aug 28 2006, 08:43 AM Wrote:We were up at the cottage this weekend and my dog woke up Sunday with  a really sore tail....Come Sunday, she couldn't wag it....

Holy s***!!

[right][snapback]204296[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

Give her an inflmatory like it says, it will help her with the pain. Not sure on the dosage, if you have a good vet you can call them up and ask how much you should give her. It should vary on your dogs size...

Holy s***!!

^^Classic :lol:

Seriously, call your vet, ask them what over-the-counter anti-inflammatory to use. Like dealerships, not all are crooks and understand that we're not all loaded.
Flofocus,Aug 28 2006, 09:09 AM Wrote:

Holy s***!!

:lol:

Give her an inflmatory like it says, it will help her with the pain. Not sure on the dosage, if you have a good vet you can call them up and ask how much you should give her. It should vary on your dogs size...
[right][snapback]204298[/snapback][/right]

What kind do you give the boys Flo?

Tylenol? Aspirin? Bayer? not a whole lot of info on the web about it. :blink:
I use Ibuprofene (Generic no name stuff) for the dogs, but check on the dosage 1st dood!
Just be careful, what might be ok for Flo's dog might not be for yours.

I have a greyhound, you have to be really careful because they're prone to bad reactions with the wrong kind of meds.

Better to be safe than sorry. Really.
A REGULAR strength tylenol will do for a medium sized dog. My dog had arthrites in her paws and thats what I allways gave her.
Left a message with the vet.

I just hope he doesn't say "bring her in"
ANTHONYD,Aug 28 2006, 09:42 AM Wrote:I just hope he doesn't say "bring her in"
[right][snapback]204306[/snapback][/right]

You know he will.

My dog has stoopid allergies, something pretty common with purebreds. He was going ot the vet twice a month for ear infections, red skin underneath his paws, wattery eyes, etc.

I eventually got sick of the $300/monthly bills and started doing my own little research. Im now cleaning the dogs ears every two days, give him some benadryl every other day, and he hasnt been back to the Vet for his allergies since the beg of summer. Which is good. really good.

Now when he does get an reaction or gets sick...I'll give him some inflammatories or polysporin, dpeending oin what it is, and he usually heals himself with the little help in a couple of days.

I know how it is with a new pup, always worried. Makes me scared to think what Im going to think when I have kids...
Oh we're dead when we have kids.

I was absolutely sick to my stomach yesterday morning when she yelped at me when I touched her tail. :(
Man poor dog Anthony, hope she'll be ok..... always sucks when animals are sick, hurt, etc.....
Oh yeah she'll be fine.

I've read SEVERAL reports on line and it pretty much goes away after a week or so.
Oh yeah, but still the whole 'pain' issue.....

Yeah I didn't think it was a 'fatal' issue but I got a big time soft spot in my heart for animals.... absolutely sucks when they are in pain and you really can't do much about it since you don't know exactly what it is. Not like they can say what is hurting at all.

Hope she has a fast recovery......
It is pretty common, used to happen to my lab all the time from swimming, their tales never stop and their not used to the resistance of the water. Double check with the vet for dosage but I used to give Rocky half an Ibuprofen twice a day when this happened to him, it happened often enought that I'd give it to him at the end of the day, we tried to keep him out of the water but he wouldn't hear any of it so we finally just gave up and let him go. He'd even jump out of the boat when we had people skiing and tubing and stuff, we eventually had to put his harness on and leash him to the skylon on the boat.