FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Looking For A New Digital Camera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking at picking up a digital camera (Finally a convert from film), and was hoping someone on here would have some idea of what to look for specifically. I want a point and shoot, small, portable, and hopefully under the 500$ price range, but I don't want to sacrifice the picture just so I can pay less...

I'm looking at the canon sd550 or sd600 right now... any opinions on either of these?
You really can't go wrong with any Canon - I bought the GF an SD450. She took it to Scotland on vacation and it worked like a charm. I also bought a 2GB SD card - lots of space !! The camera received great reviews.
I have an Olympus D580. Its pretty small, and nicely priced. I got mine and a 64meg xD card for like $250 with taxes last Christmas

Here is a little review about it..
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D580/D580A.HTM

Does what I need it to do, and then some.

One day I'll break down and get a digital SLR, but for now, I'll use my old trusty Ricoh 35mm for artsy-fartsy stuff.
yea, I've never heard anything bad about Canon..
I have the old Olympus D-535 Zoom Digital Camera, got it 2 years ago for X-mas, always been amaing. I'm no photo-buff but it takes really nice pics, lots of detail..
I've been using my 4MP Canon s40 for nearly 5 years now.. never a problem with it..

they are great cameras for the price and offer a lot of functionality.
Canon S3 IS...
^
|

Not exactly small, and over the budget, but a great camera nonetheless.

The Canon's are always a good value. You can't go wrong with them.

What are you going to be taking pictures of? Will you be taking many low-light, party style pictures? Does a high zoom appeal? Do you want rechargable batteries (li-ion) or AA compatible? The more we know, the more we can narrow it down.

Myself, I just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ7. SLR control, 12x zoom, 6 Megapixel resolution and rechargable battery for just over $500 ($499.99 at Henry's)

If I was to buy a compact currently, I'd strongly look at the Fuji F30 ($429.99 at Futureshop or Henrys) Review for F30.

To be honest, if you stick with a big company (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, Pentax) you won't get a bad camera. If you go to some of the 'other' camera companies (Kodak, Samsung, Sharp, Mercury(?), etc.), you're taking a small chance. Most of the lesser-knowns offer hundreds of features, but lack quality in image processing and lens quality (Kodak is a catch-22, so is HP - some are great, some suck).

The key is research, research, research. DPreview.com and DCresource.com are both great sites to check out. On DPreview, check out the forums too for actual user reviews and samples of the cameras you're thinking of.

Any questions, fire away, and narrow down what you want to do with it so we can help more! :)

Ryan <- ex-camera sales nazi

P.S. I still have some contacts in the Ottawa electronic sales game if you need a hook up
S3 IS is bigger but, its a real camera...not those small, compact cameras that have 3x zoom..

And i got mine for $489.00..plus tax..but still not that far off from 500
Canon family here too:

PowerShot A40, A70 and A430.

The one Paul mentioned is great, the S2 or S3 are great choices for the money... and won't out-date themselves like many others, especially considering they're 'older' cameras.
The S3 came out just before the summer...hardly old!
i have an older camera.. canon sd110. i like it a lot. i;m not a photo buff though, tried to be just didnlt like it. i have an oldschool minolta SLR. i never brought it anywhere. it is too bulky. i say dont get a slr if you are a casual user. and personally i dont see the point in a super high mega pixel camera. i used to have a 1.6MP and now a 3.2MP camera.. it is just fine for 5x7s and for uploading pics to the internet..

so my opinion.. get an older camera from a "big" company that is small so you will actually take it places and use it
microbunny,Aug 26 2006, 09:05 AM Wrote:The S3 came out just before the summer...hardly old!
[right][snapback]204168[/snapback][/right]

:unsure: Whoops... :lol:
reldridge,Aug 25 2006, 04:03 PM Wrote:To be honest, if you stick with a big company (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, Pentax) you won't get a bad camera. If you go to some of the 'other' camera companies (Kodak, Samsung, Sharp, Mercury(?), etc.), you're taking a small chance. Most of the lesser-knowns offer hundreds of features, but lack quality in image processing and lens quality (Kodak is a catch-22, so is HP - some are great, some suck).
[right][snapback]204138[/snapback][/right]
Kodak is a "small" company now? :huh:
crazikev,Aug 27 2006, 05:18 PM Wrote:
reldridge,Aug 25 2006, 04:03 PM Wrote:To be honest, if you stick with a big company (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Olympus, Pentax) you won't get a bad camera. If you go to some of the 'other' camera companies (Kodak, Samsung, Sharp, Mercury(?), etc.), you're taking a small chance. Most of the lesser-knowns offer hundreds of features, but lack quality in image processing and lens quality (Kodak is a catch-22, so is HP - some are great, some suck).
[right][snapback]204138[/snapback][/right]
Kodak is a "small" company now? :huh:
[right][snapback]204260[/snapback][/right]

Not small in terms of size yet but they've been late to the digital camera dance, their products relability makes the Hyundai Pony look stellar and their PQ is mediocre at best. There are better cameras to invest the $ in.

NefCanuck
So I made the desicion... after literally running back and forth between Future Shop and Best Buy... A little Olympus Stylus 700 followed me home. For the price of $299, I got 7.1 Mp, circular video feed, panoramic pics, in camera editting, 21 different picture modes, super macro... and whole lot more.

One thing that was big for me was the fact that it was small... tiny in fact :) Plus, it was all weather proof and had image stability, which I couldn't find in canon until I went up to 600$$ (a bit much)...

So thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll be able to give you some pic examples over the next few weeks ;)
that is an awesome camera! and soo tiny!!
Nice buy!
Good choice! I like the Olympus product, they just don't make alot to suit my needs currently. Good optics, good image processing, and the weather proof as they call it is good - it is sealled well enough you can actually submerge it in water and it will still work! Don't leave it there too long though... :)

Ryan
YAY... I guess I chose the right camera with all the positive reviews... Thanks for the tips guys
Our work has a pile of Olympus point-n-shoots. They seem to do well, and they're all 4-6MP.