FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Do I Do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i purchase a vehicle from my co-worker. Car belonged to his sister and now she moved to US and dosen't care for the car anymore. I paid him for the car and strated fixing the car. Its been sitting in the garage for about a year so lot of cleaning up and fine tunning. Now that i'm finally done with it, i went to change the ownership and realised there is an exsisting Lien on the car . (never trust anyone and do your homework first)Always get the seller's package before doing anything else, are the lesson's learn in this session.

So now what do i do??? He is going to pay me back the money for the car, I have spend $$$ on bringing the car back to life, but he doesnt want the car back. They were paying 40$ a month for parking so he just gave the car to me, but i can't even register the car. I called the bank trying to find out the amout of the loan, they will not tell me. So is this going to be parts car???

Has anyone dealt with anything like this? BTW is not a focus, its a 00 Nissan.
Unfortunately, this puts you into an even more awkward position. Although I'm no lawyer, I would think that since you are not technically the legal owner of the car that you can't even part it out. Whoever the lienholder is has legal claim on whatever the value is on the car, and until the lien is lifted you don't have a legal right to do squat to it.

What your co-worker should have the decency to do is either find out the amount of the loan (from his sister) and use the money you gave him for the car to pay the loan out. Or pay you back for the car and whatever money you put into it (although you would be out the labour you put in).

If he isn't willing to do this I would say that you would have a solid small claims court case. Whether you want to pursue that against a co-worker is a decision you'd have to make.
Thanks OAC. yeah after calling so many places and ppl, i was told the best thing to do is to return the car to them and make them return it to the place that has the lien. If its not paid off they could come and anytime and take the car away and i don't want to waste so much time and effort to make this car driveable.

ohh well. Lesson learnd for sure this time.
Out of curiosity, what kind of car is it? I know some people that could knee cap this guy for you. LOL
Focus man, Focus.,Sep 29 2009, 08:38 AM Wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?  I know some people that could knee cap this guy for you.  LOL
[right][snapback]295058[/snapback][/right]

LOL $20 buck and an address. :ph34r: in and out like a Ninja
STRIP IT!!!! and tow it to the bank ;)
its a 2000 Maxima SE with all the toys!

No need for any bashing :) I drop the car at his place and got my money back. Also he own me lunch for the next 10 yrs! :)