FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Is There A Way To Check?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have an '02 Zts
i bought it last september when it had 135km on it.....now its hitting 175

i think its time to chance my timing belt but i don't know if it was changed before

im not a mechanic but is there an easy way to check if the belt has been changed from the original?

thanks
Nick
Check with Ford...they may have a record.

If not, call the person you bought it from.

This is stuff you should know ;)
Simplest way to check to see if it in need of replacement is to take a flashlight and pointed it at your timming belt and if:

are There little cracks in the belt? all over the inside and out, then yes you have to replace it, sometime in the short future.
Are there large crack in it? then yes it has to be replaced right away
Is there Fraying at one end? Replace it right away

These are the things my dad tells me to look for if I even concider thinking of asking him to check the timming belt, and he should know as he has over 40 years knowledge / exp. of anything auto related.
Frost__2001,Aug 22 2006, 03:28 PM Wrote:Simplest way to check to see if it in need of replacement is to take a flashlight and pointed it at your timming belt and if:

are There little cracks in the belt? all over the inside and out, then yes you have to replace it, sometime in the short future.
Are there large crack in it? then yes it has to be replaced right away
Is there Fraying at one end? Replace it right away

These are the things my dad tells me to look for if I even concider thinking of asking him to check the timming belt, and he should know as he has over 40 years knowledge / exp. of anything auto related.
[right][snapback]203448[/snapback][/right]

Hey thanks for giving those tips cause i'm going to check mine tonight.

I know that ford has had any repairs made on my car by a Ford authorized repair facility since it was made in 01. So I would assume the same for your car.
how often do u have to change them anyway? isn't like every 70,000km?
NikiterZTS,Aug 23 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:how often do u have to change them anyway?  isn't like every 70,000km?
[right][snapback]203539[/snapback][/right]

Did mine at 100K, they probably should be changed every 100K. Whip out that book that says "Focus owners manual" Its amazing the shiat they put in that book. ;)
Flofocus,Aug 23 2006, 12:15 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Aug 23 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:how often do u have to change them anyway?  isn't like every 70,000km?
[right][snapback]203539[/snapback][/right]

Did mine at 100K, they probably should be changed every 100K. Whip out that book that says "Focus owners manual" Its amazing the shiat they put in that book. ;)
[right][snapback]203560[/snapback][/right]

i'd say its like a Bible eh