FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Idle Woes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2000 Zetec, 106,000 kms. Idling rough, but when I put it in park, the revs go up to about 2000 rpm. No check engine light. Any ideas what it could be?
Throttle Position sensor? Tranny Speed Sensor... DPFE?

Does the car hesitate while driving?
I'd go with fuel filter, then spark plugs and finally sparkplug wires / check the coil. I had a somewhat similar idle problem last week. It was 90% coil (cracked), 10% sparkplugs (mucho overdue for a change).
scoobasteve,Aug 22 2006, 11:09 AM Wrote:Throttle Position sensor? Tranny Speed Sensor... DPFE?

Does the car hesitate while driving?
[right][snapback]203403[/snapback][/right]

No hesitation while driving. TPS was changed in May. I bought thecar used, so I'm not sure what was done before I got it. When it's reving high in park, I'll shift it into neutral, or put it in drive, and the revs will go back down to about 800.
Well i'd start with Adam's suggestions.

If you bought the car used. doing a tuneup wouldnt hurt anything.

Do
Plugs,
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
PCV
possibly plug wires...

Other things you may want to consider

Tranny Flush.

Timing Belt (not sure if its 100km or 150km on the focus)

EDIT: Have you tried cycling the ECU yet (Disconnect negative terminal for 15mins)
scoobasteve,Aug 22 2006, 11:34 AM Wrote:Well i'd start with Adam's suggestions.

If you bought the car used. doing a tuneup wouldnt hurt anything.

Do
Plugs,
Oil Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
PCV
possibly plug wires...

Other things you may want to consider

Tranny Flush.

Timing Belt (not sure if its 100km or 150km on the focus)

EDIT: Have you tried cycling the ECU yet (Disconnect negative terminal for 15mins)
[right][snapback]203418[/snapback][/right]
I put in a K&N drop in filter two days after I bought it.
I'll do the plugs and wires this weekend, then go from there.
Where is the fuel filter on these fun to drive, but somewhat tempermental little vehicles?
fuel filter is in line just before the gas tank.

Passenger side of the car... tucked away. but its hard to miss.

Real easy job to do.... If you have the right tools or have strong fingers, it can be done in 5 mins.

There is a write up in the how to section.

Expect to pay 12-18 dollars for a filter.
scoobasteve,Aug 22 2006, 11:56 AM Wrote:fuel filter is in line just before the gas tank.

Passenger side of the car...  tucked away. but its hard to miss.

Real easy job to do....  If you have the right tools or have strong fingers, it can be done in 5 mins.

[right][snapback]203420[/snapback][/right]
Thanks,
One more little question. Is it worth getting better ignition wires for a stock engine?
Depends on what you can find for the price....

If you get a deal, sometimes aftermarket wires will be cheaper than the stockers.

I'm pretty sure some dealerships have the ford 9mm wires for like 49.00
Did you clamp down that airbox properly when you installed the drop in?
oldeguy,Aug 22 2006, 12:46 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Aug 22 2006, 11:56 AM Wrote:fuel filter is in line just before the gas tank.

Real easy job to do....  If you have the right tools or have strong fingers, it can be done in 5 mins.

Thanks,
One more little question. Is it worth getting better ignition wires for a stock engine?
[right][snapback]203429[/snapback][/right]

try ebay....i have APC 9.3 mm wires from there brand new with shipping it came to $43 and they work great....i had to change my wires anyway cuz my number 4 wire was acting up
oldeguy,Aug 22 2006, 01:46 PM Wrote:

Thanks,
[right][snapback]203429[/snapback][/right]

I don't know about the Zetec, but the SPI came with 7mm wires stock and the later replacements from Ford were 8mm. It made it a tad more responsive and definitely smoothed out the idle.