FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Boss Mustang To Be Resurrected
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Boss Mustang To Be Resurrected
Historic Name Could Be Faster Than Mustang GT, Cheaper Than Shelby
Canadian Auto Press

Ford has had some good luck as of late. Beginning with the rebirth of the Ford GT; the pace car for an entire company, and continuing with the 2005 Ford Mustang, the company’s retro-themed performance models have regained the Blue Oval some of its former lustre. Carrying on the blue-collar performance attitude that won Ford so many customers during the muscle and pony car wars of the late ’60s, both the Mustang and the GT offer performance well above what their price tags would indicate, with the latter gaining renown for dethroning some supercar heavyweights for a fraction of the price.

And the latest creation to roll out of Dearborn’s gates; the Shelby GT500, continues that tradition. With starting prices that undercut even a base model Corvette, the Shelby capitalizes on one of the most storied pairings in motorsports history: Carroll Shelby and Ford. But as good as the Shelby is, there’s another name lurking in the shadows of the Mustang’s past that is just begging to be let out: Boss.

The creation of an ex-GM employee Larry Shinoda, Boss 302 and 429 models were specifically built to dominate road and drag racing, and while the Boss 429 has become a legend in its own right, the Boss 302 remains the real star. Developed to burnish the "Total Performance" moniker Ford had adopted at the time, the 302-powered Boss Mustang was uncompromising in its design, with every feature extant for one purpose: winning.

And now, it looks like Ford is going to do it again. With the impressive GT500 offering up a blindingly fast, yet still daily-driver-friendly version of the Mustang, Ford has left themselves plenty of room to produce a less friendly, more track-ready version of their immortal ponycar. Having reportedly commenced last year, the current Boss project is nearing completion and is rumoured to be on schedule for an ’07 launch. Based on the aforementioned Shelby, the Boss should inherit the GT500’s almost flawless suspension setup, with the majority of the changes being to the powerplant and trim. The former could be either a naturally aspirated version of the GT500’s 5.4L motor (itself lifted from the GT, which in turn borrowed it from the F-series pickup), or a currently unknown 5.0L, which would render a period-correct displacement of 302 cubic inches for this new Boss. Either way, Ford won’t allow the Boss to impinge on the Shelby’s 500 horsepower figure, therefore the Boss Mustang’s power output is expected to be in the 390 horsepower range.

To make up for that shortcoming, the Boss’ interior would be stripped out, and any extraneous matter (ie: sound deadening) would be tossed. The end result could potentially be a car with the weight of a V6 Mustang, more power than a Mustang GT, and best of all, a lower price tag than the GT500.
Wow! That would be excellent, but I'll believe it when I see it. Especially with the Shelby GT Mustang just announced for '07 another special model seems too good to be true and too soon. Maybe as an '08??? Plus they better keep something new to bring out to compete with the Challenger when it gets released...
Yup, that lightweight Mustang is exactly what the doctor ordered. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll have found my weekend car. To paraphrase Puppet:

I need a garage.
rear seat delete would be a good option for the new Boss Mustang.
SVT ZX3,Aug 22 2006, 10:02 AM Wrote:Wow! That would be excellent, but I'll believe it when I see it. Especially with the Shelby GT Mustang just announced for '07 another special model seems too good to be true and too soon. Maybe as an '08??? Plus they better keep something new to bring out to compete with the Challenger when it gets released...
[right][snapback]203398[/snapback][/right]
Different states already have their own special edition Mustangs. Texas and Oklahoma have put together an exclusive 500-unit run of specially equiped '06 Stangs called the Stampede Edition straight from the factory. For '07 there will be the GT/CS - or "California Special". There are others that I can't remember now. Plus as far at the Challenger goes, don't forget the Shelby GT500 with 500hp :)
God bless the Mustang...that's all I have to say! :D
should be interesting to see with all these manufactures going big
FocusGuy7476,Aug 22 2006, 09:28 AM Wrote:rear seat delete would be a good option for the new Boss Mustang.
[right][snapback]203422[/snapback][/right]
Only problem with the rear seat delete is your insurance costs would be way higher because it then goes from a coupe to a sports car. We found that out when my buddy bought his Stealth RT back in the day, you could maybe fit a 5 or 6 yr old in the back seat but it was classed as a coupe with 2+2 seating.