FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford To Prune Dealer Network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford to Prune Dealer Network
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
August 2006

Ford plans to extend its North American restructuring to its retail network by consolidating dealerships in 18 major markets, the Associated Press reported.

Ford, which currently has about 4,300 Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships nationwide, said it plans to trim the number of dealerships it has in 18 metropolitan areas across the U.S. because of slipping car and truck sales. Ford's market share has declined from around 26 percent in the early 1990s to 17 percent at the end of July.

Most of the metro areas are east of the Mississippi River, but the company would not identify exactly what markets would be targeted.

All Ford dealerships except for one in New York City are independently owned and franchised by the company, company spokesman Jim Cain said. "Our goal is to work with our dealers to build a business model that's profitable for them, profitable for us and sustainable across the business cycle," he said.

Considering that they already killed Mercury up here and consolidated everything under the Ford/Lincoln banner I can't see them doing much here. Maybe Mercury sleeps with the fishes in the US too? :huh:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Aug 16 2006, 04:45 PM Wrote:Considering that they already killed Mercury up here and consolidated everything under the Ford/Lincoln banner I can't see them doing much here.  Maybe Mercury sleeps with the fishes in the US too? :huh:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]202664[/snapback][/right]

Yup - one area where Ford of Canada is way ahead of the US.

With attrition, consolidation, and a couple of dealers told to get lost for exporting cars to the U.S., Ford of Canada reduced dealer count by more than 100 dealers between 2000 and 2004.
Michael Motors Ford in Petawawa was one of them...
Doesn't really surprise me. Axing mercury in canada was prolly one of ford of canadas brighter ideas. I'm still waiting GM to do something similar. They've got way to many brands in Canada.
about time.
Now that that's been settled, then give us the AWD Fusion SEL with the Duratec 35...260+hp, the promise of AWD and possibly a manual gearbox now on the V6...yessssss.....yummy