FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford To Phase Out Fuel Filler Caps,
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ford to Phase Out Fuel Filler Caps, Phase in iPod-ability
The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, August 10, 2006
August 2006

Among the announcements that Ford executives made at the annual industry conference near Lake Michigan is that the gas cap will disappear on many Ford models in the coming years.

Replacing the caps will be a flap that opens under pressure from the gas pump nozzle. The flap will fit snugly to the nozzle to stop fumes from escaping. "It eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put your gas cap back on after refueling," said Mark Fields, Ford executive vice president and president of the Americas.

The new cap came from Ford's NASCAR racing experience and has been used on the Ford GT sports car, Fields said.

Also, for the 2007-model year, built-in auxiliary audio-input jacks will be offered on the Ford Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Mustang, Fusion, Sport Trac, Ranger, F-150, Mercury Milan, Mountaineer, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Navigator and Lincoln Mark LT. The jacks allow customers to bring any iPod or other MP3 player with a standard 3.5 millimeter audio output into their vehicle and play it through the audio system.

In addition, early next year, Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers will begin offering Ford's TripTunes Advanced audio system — an iPod integration feature that allows the driver to store the iPod in the vehicle's glove box and select music using the steering wheel or radio controls while recharging the iPod at the same time.

Plus some more Ford related news

Ford Announces New Shelby GT and Lincoln MKS Sedan
The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, August 10, 2006
August 2006

Ford will increase the pace of new product introductions, according to a news release.

"We have nine new Ford and Lincoln Mercury products going on sale in the next six months alone, and we are rebuilding our business for the future with an emphasis on new products," said Mark Fields, Ford's president of The Americas, who spoke at the Center for Automotive Research's annual seminar in Traverse City, Mich.

Among the new products are the Ford Shelby GT — on sale in January — and the Lincoln MKS flagship sedan, which will arrive in showrooms in 2008.

The 4.6-liter, 325-horsepower Ford Shelby GT will occupy a niche between the Mustang GT and the Ford Shelby GT500 both in performance and appearance, Ford said. It is a retail version of the Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang developed for Hertz.

The Lincoln MKS full-size flagship sedan will be based on the concept vehicle first shown at the North American International Auto Show in January.

Other new Ford products include:

Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossovers, which go on sale in November.
Ford Shelby GT500, which is now on sale as the most powerful production Mustang ever.
Lincoln MKZ, with its new 3.5-liter V-6 engine — which eventually will power one of every five Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicles.
Ford Expedition, Expedition EL and Lincoln Navigator, which go on sale in September, and the new Lincoln Navigator L in December. The new SUVs offer more standard safety equipment, a usable third row and additional cargo space.
Ford Explorer Sport Trac, which is now on sale with one of the segment's only V-8 engines.
Ford F-150 with increased towing to a 10,500 pounds, new FX2 Sport edition and new 6.5-foot box for the Super Crew.
New all-wheel-drive versions of the popular Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ.

Frost__2001,Aug 10 2006, 01:18 PM Wrote:..."It eliminates the inconvenience of forgetting to put your gas cap back on after refueling,"....
[right][snapback]201764[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, its a big job to replace the cap...especially when its attatched to the car..

Seriously, how f***ed is Ford that they try to cut costs by doing useless things like this....maybe they could make this an option!!

only $700.00 for a fuel cap upgrade!

Why not fix stuff like the faulty tranny's and things that seem to burn up half their product lineup...

One more reason to never buy another Ford!
Then don't.

Quit bitchin about it, you've got your gas guzzler already.

I give it a couple months before you'll be sick of removing your gas cap. ;)

Quote:The new cap came from Ford's NASCAR racing experience and has been used on the Ford GT sports car, Fields said.

So they can use the system on a $150,000 sports car and it's not good enough for a Focus?

Y'know, when other companies do s*** people bob their heads and yap "great idea, why doesn't Ford do that?" And when they do do something, people trash it. Why no comment on the iPod input?
I'm actually more concerned with what happens when this wonderful system that eliminates the fuel filler cap craps out. Right now, if the cap dies, replace the cap and be on your way. This system dies, that's a garage only repair I'm betting (and not cheap either)

Now the TripTunes system. If that can be retrofitted to my deck (It has been shown to be done using the AUX function out in the wild), that would be something I would willingly shell out dealer bucks for and embrace the evil empire that is the iPod :P

NefCanuck
OAC_Sparky,Aug 10 2006, 01:14 PM Wrote:http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/w...wip02.html
[right][snapback]201775[/snapback][/right]

Very intriguing, but it doesn't look like a DIY type job. Mores the pity because I know more than a few people who would buy a system like that (I'm not worried tol the tether strap on my fuel cap breaks that's when I'm gonna be leaving the cap everywhere :lol:)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Aug 10 2006, 02:17 PM Wrote:Very intriguing, but it doesn't look like a DIY type job.  Mores the pity because I know more than a few people who would buy a system like that (I'm not worried tol the tether strap on my fuel cap breaks that's when I'm gonna be leaving the cap everywhere :lol:)
[right][snapback]201776[/snapback][/right]
While I wouldn't profess to know the reliability of the system, it may be possible that the new system may be more reliable, there would be less handling of the unit that would lead a normal cap to wear out.

Maybe, just maybe, it IS a better idea. No cap to take off, the system is safer and allows less fumes to escape.

Not only that, how many warranty claims do you think Ford has a year when a customer cross-threads their gas cap and the light comes on?

Better idea? Time will tell.
OAC_Sparky,Aug 10 2006, 01:53 PM Wrote:Quit bitchin about it, you've got your gas guzzler already.

[right][snapback]201770[/snapback][/right]

What/?

was that directed to me?

I hardly consider the focus a gas-guzzler...but whatever/1
microbunny,Aug 10 2006, 02:32 PM Wrote:What/?

was that directed to me?

I hardly consider the focus a gas-guzzler...but whatever/1
[right][snapback]201779[/snapback][/right]
Sorry, thought you had climbed aboard the 300C train.

My mistake, I apologize.

Look, Bunny. Feel what you want about Ford, hate'em, like'em, that's your right. But hate them for your reasons and not some made-up s*** like "Ford penny-pinching" BS. The system will likely cost more than the existing system where they can import $.30 gas caps, so any real cost savings will come out of fewer warranty repairs. And fewer warranty repairs translates into fewer customers bringing their cars in for warranty work.

See? win-win.
OAC_Sparky,Aug 10 2006, 01:28 PM Wrote:While I wouldn't profess to know the reliability of the system, it may be possible that the new system may be more reliable, there would be less handling of the unit that would lead a normal cap to wear out.

Not only that, how many warranty claims do you think Ford has a year when a customer cross-threads their gas cap and the light comes on?

Better idea? Time will tell.
[right][snapback]201778[/snapback][/right]

I agree, the only weak point in the system I can see myself would be the hinge on the door and the seal. If those were tested and rated to say, 10 years or 300,000km, I doubt anyone would have a real issue with it (I think that's more than the emissions control warranty on things like the catalytic converter, but since this would have more moving parts than the converter...)

Heh, yeah but remember that "check gas cap" light can come on for other reasons as well. I remember that mine came on when the gasket on the return line to the fuel tank came loose after they replaced the fuel pump & sender.

Indeed, I don't think of it as a revolutionary idea as much as it is an evolutionary one ;)

NefCanuck
OAC_Sparky,Aug 10 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:Sorry, thought you had climbed aboard the 300C train.

My mistake, I apologize.

Look, Bunny. Feel what you want about Ford, hate'em, like'em, that's your right. But hate them for your reasons and not some made-up s*** like "Ford penny-pinching" BS. The system will likely cost more than the existing system where they can import $.30 gas caps, so any real cost savings will come out of fewer warranty repairs. And fewer warranty repairs translates into fewer customers bringing their cars in for warranty work.

See? win-win.
[right][snapback]201781[/snapback][/right]

Man, you must work for Ford!!! :lol:

Seriously....when a tranny dies at 24,000km and I get told 'these things happen' why on earth would I support Ford again!?!?

Ford spends all this money, time, and effort into things that are not the biggest concern..

but whatever...you are pro-Ford..

I am not ..

thats it!
I think it's great... one less way to scratch your paint up in the most annoying of places. I wish more companies would do this.
microbunny,Aug 10 2006, 03:14 PM Wrote:Man, you must work for Ford!!! :lol:

Seriously....when a tranny dies at 24,000km and I get told 'these things happen' why on earth would I support Ford again!?!?

Ford spends all this money, time, and effort into things that are not the biggest concern..

but whatever...you are pro-Ford..

I am not ..

thats it!
[right][snapback]201787[/snapback][/right]
I fully admit I am "pro Ford". But I also admit that Ford has its problems and I also admit that it can improve.

By the same token, you should admit that the Focus transmission is far from unreliable. Taurus and Windstar AOXD trans, had a deserved bad rep. But not the Focus.

So some idiot shrugged it off, when you got your tranny replaced, presumeably under warranty. If said idiot is a dealership employee, he isn't even a Ford employee, he's a dealership employee.

Ford has been improving its reliability.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-0...ty-survey_x.htm

No car manufacturer makes 100% problem-free cars. Even Toyota has had recall after recall this year. To think that Ford is the bottom of the barrel is simply delusional.
the gas cap is a different idea, and show that super car development can pay off for the rest of the brand.

the way that Ford is doing the iPod intregration is horrible, you still have to change songs on the iPod like you normally would plus your driving and it will sound like crap. That new TripTunes system should be a standard option like on most cars that offer iPod intregration.
FocusGuy7476,Aug 10 2006, 02:35 PM Wrote:the gas cap is a different idea, and show that super car development can pay off for the rest of the brand.

the way that Ford is doing the iPod intregration is horrible, you still have to change songs on the iPod like you normally would plus your driving and it will sound like crap. That new TripTunes system should be a standard option like on most cars that offer iPod intregration.
[right][snapback]201793[/snapback][/right]

The TripTunes is the way to go yeah, I mean even if it doesn't offer the ability to charge the iPod, the iPod is securely stowed out of the way (and out of the sight of thieves) and according to teh article you can use the steering wheel mounted audio controls to control the iPod. That's pimp :D

NefCanuck
Quote:Among the new products are the Ford Shelby GT....

The 4.6-liter, 325-horsepower Ford Shelby GT will occupy a niche between the Mustang GT and the Ford Shelby GT500 both in performance and appearance, Ford said. It is a retail version of the Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang developed for Hertz.

Pffffft! How does a 325hp fill the void between 300hp and 500hp? Sounds like they are just making those FRPP Power Packs standard issue on these Shelby models. :rolleyes: The only niche this will fill is the price point as I'm sure since this one will be bearing the Shelby name as well that the MSRP will be low to mid $40k. :angry:
Just buy the GT at Employee price, change the intake and whatnot on your own and have a car with as much power as the specialty one.

The ipod stuff is great, if you have one of those (I don't, I have a Sandisk Sansa), but I think it'd be great to keep offering aftermarket brand stereos in factory cars in the firstplace is an even better idea.

I am with Meford4u with the pro-ford mentality...Fords top brass admitted what they have done wrong, whats wrong with the product lineup, and are working harder than ever to polish their badly tarnished image. Some of the stuff they are bringing out now offer a lot more car for the money than the competition, especially the asian competition. I also agree that if you had bad experiences with a given Ford vehicle, that's fine, but don't bash the whole company or every vehicle they ever made. Mine has been almost flawless now, and the only things I have fixed were regular wear n' tear items, and I rack up a lot of km's and they are mostly HARD km's. Not EVERY Ford built is a bad seed from day No. 1.

I am very anxious to see if they DO release the Fusion ST with the Duratec 35 engine...260+hp and maybe the options of 6spd manual or AWD....giddyup...
Drivesthebeast,Aug 10 2006, 10:06 PM Wrote:I am with Meford4u with the pro-ford mentality...[right][snapback]201871[/snapback][/right]

How did I get into this conversation? OAC....Oakville assembly Complex....Ford Oakville. For those of you lacking in imagination and figuring out he is an electrician at Ford. So he has a slight slant toward Ford.

But so does Bunny's father. And I know he will buy/lease another Ford.

Bitch all you want Paul, but every car manufacturer has issues. Nothing in life is perfect. The next car you buy will inevitably have it's own issues and quirks. Hell if you own it, it's going to be quirky!

and smell funny :D

meford4u,Aug 10 2006, 10:19 PM Wrote:it's going to be quirky! 

[right][snapback]201874[/snapback][/right]

Most people say that about Saab
meford4u,Aug 10 2006, 10:19 PM Wrote:and smell funny :D
[right][snapback]201874[/snapback][/right]

Most people say that about Grand Marquis and Lincolns. :lol:
Pages: 1 2 3