FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Smell Of Burnin Oil And Car Shakes Like Crazy When
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so has anyone had their car shake like crazy when they fir eit up. The car does it in idle as well as in gear.i can now smell oil burning if i stop at a light.
can anyone tell what the hell tis might be?

Have you touched any of the spark plugs recently. The engine could not be firing on a cylinder causing it to shake.
I had a problem like that with my old Tercel. The car was burning oil and creating carbon sediment that was interupting/covering the spark and spark plugs. It started with that and then I would slowely lose pick up as the carbon build up would cause the spark plug to die. Try looking at the plugs and seeing if the filament in the middle is gunked up with carbon deposits, or if it is cracked. When you replace them you should see a difference, especially if you're burning oil like you say you are.
yeah... check the sparkplugs for possible fowling..

Of course, there is a chance that the burning oil smell could be the valve cover gasket leaking a bit onto the header/heatshield. In which case, you might want to double check that, especially if the heatshield is removed as it could result in an engine fire.

But on the plus side, if it's just the valve cover, it's an easier fix than if you have a head gasket or other internal issue causing oil be be burned...