FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Blown Away.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you have read, i had a bit of an exciting morning on Wednesday, where my engine decided to throw out a spark plug. so, after being told that it was a $85.00 fix, I asked them to do some regular maintenance items which I have neglected. So for $700.00 I'm getting the timing belt replaced, serpentine belt, oil change plugs and wires.
yeah, timing belts will do it to ya everytime.
wow 700? lol hope your car lasts another 10 years.
Lol mike just wait untill we have to do the chains lol $700 will sound pretty good if you can't do it yourself
Actually, I'm impressed. Was prepared for more.....
Next Focus will be a Duratec
If you can drive to Markham I have a guy who will do timing belt for $130 cash + your own parts.

Let me know if you need his digits. I took my focus only to him and he gave me wicked prices.
NikiterZTS,Sep 25 2009, 11:15 AM Wrote:If you can drive to Markham I have a guy who will do timing belt for $130 cash + your own parts.

Let me  know if you need his digits. I took my focus only to him and he gave me wicked prices.
[right][snapback]294914[/snapback][/right]

Ditto to NikiterZTS.

$700 is wayy too much. I have a mechanic whos in Markham area as well and he's been taking care of my Focus since day 1. Let me know if you want the number.
If you are doing the Timing belt you may as well replace the water pump while you are in there. It will save you some coin further on down the road.
Considering the labour involved in all those jobs (the book numbers anyways) that's a fair price IMO.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Sep 25 2009, 09:55 PM Wrote:Considering the labour involved in all those jobs (the book numbers anyways) that's a fair price IMO.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]294950[/snapback][/right]

With some experience in auto repair at some shops, Many jobs done were done in much less time than whats listed. Thats how shops make their money, even if it took them 1/2 hour and the book says 3 hours, you get charged 3 hours.
Sometimes you might get some leniancy and they charge you 2 hours...
2DXTRM,Sep 27 2009, 12:11 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Sep 25 2009, 09:55 PM Wrote:Considering the labour involved in all those jobs (the book numbers anyways) that's a fair price IMO.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]294950[/snapback][/right]

With some experience in auto repair at some shops, Many jobs done were done in much less time than whats listed. Thats how shops make their money, even if it took them 1/2 hour and the book says 3 hours, you get charged 3 hours.
Sometimes you might get some leniancy and they charge you 2 hours...
[right][snapback]294967[/snapback][/right]

Oh yeah I know that in some cases the book is "padded" but conversely if they blow over and the estimate says "x" they gett burned so....

NefCanuck
that price isnt too bad considering you are getting more than just the timing belt done.

Mine was $550 for the belt job, that included a new water pump.
Sorry I have to correct my post above. Mine was $130 for timing belt & water pump + me supplying the parts. I know it was $50 for the belt but don't remember how much I bought water pump for at NAPA.
It cost me $40 to do my timing belt :P I only needed parts lol
Have you guys heard of the phrase time is money? Between working two jobs to keep a roof over my head, trying to look after my disabled wife, keeping my house semi-clean, etc, finding the time quality time with my Focus is rare. I need the car on the road, not in the shop, or garage, so paying someone else to do the work is a necessary evil.
oldeguy,Oct 6 2009, 08:00 AM Wrote:Have you guys heard of the phrase time is money?  Between working two jobs to keep a roof over my head, trying to look after my disabled wife, keeping my house semi-clean, etc, finding the time quality time with my Focus is rare. I need the car on the road, not in the shop, or garage, so paying someone else to do the work is a necessary evil.
[right][snapback]295536[/snapback][/right]
I feel you on this one . In times when the construction was booming I had to be at work every day long hours . There was no way to miss work to do any kind of repairs on my van . So I put the van in the shop and rented another . Money was coming in so i didn't mind so much having someone else to fix my van . Not the same story now ...
oldeguy,Oct 6 2009, 07:00 AM Wrote:Have you guys heard of the phrase time is money?  Between working two jobs to keep a roof over my head, trying to look after my disabled wife, keeping my house semi-clean, etc, finding the time quality time with my Focus is rare. I need the car on the road, not in the shop, or garage, so paying someone else to do the work is a necessary evil.

Hey, I feel your pain believe me :(

Heck, in my case it's even worse b/c if my car goes down for any length of time I'm as good as stuck since I can't just rent another car & drive off :ph34r:

So I either have to be anal about the car's maintenance and hope that Murphy's Law doesn't bite me in the @$$ anyways, or take vacation days off work while the car is in the shop <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Oct 6 2009, 10:00 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Oct 6 2009, 07:00 AM Wrote:Have you guys heard of the phrase time is money?  Between working two jobs to keep a roof over my head, trying to look after my disabled wife, keeping my house semi-clean, etc, finding the time quality time with my Focus is rare. I need the car on the road, not in the shop, or garage, so paying someone else to do the work is a necessary evil.

Heck, in my case it's even worse b/c if my car goes down for any length of time I'm as good as stuck since I can't just rent another car & drive off :ph34r:

So I either have to be anal about the car's maintenance and hope that Murphy's Law doesn't bite me in the @$$ anyways, or take vacation days off work while the car is in the shop <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]295547[/snapback][/right]
Daniel, maybe you should become a lawyer and then you'd be able to afford a chaffuer.........................a nice blonde or whichever is your favourite flavour.
NikiterZTS,Sep 28 2009, 07:05 PM Wrote:Sorry I have to correct my post above. Mine was $130 for timing belt & water pump + me supplying the parts. I know it was $50 for the belt but don't remember how much I bought water pump for at NAPA.
[right][snapback]295029[/snapback][/right]

I can get that deal for anyone around Brampton if interessted PM me.
oldeguy,Oct 6 2009, 09:29 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Oct 6 2009, 10:00 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]295547[/snapback][/right]
Daniel, maybe you should become a lawyer and then you'd be able to afford a chaffuer.........................a nice blonde or whichever is your favourite flavour.
[right][snapback]295548[/snapback][/right]

I am a licensed paralegal (Lawyer lite) so all I can afford is to mod and maintain the Fusion :P

Besides, I like driving :P

S'why I spent nearly $600 to do the SVTOA event @ Mosport (cost for the course and accomidations)

NefCanuck