FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Adding A Few Touches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so anyways, I was thinking about tinting my head, and taillights, on my 2005 Copper ZX5, I have those dark grey svt wheels, I need your thoughts. I was looking at Stickercity.com and found some pre-cut covers for the lights. They are supposed to be easier to install, and for returning my lease, removing them too. One last thing before I leave this in your hands, what are the legal problems with doing such a thing, as in ticking, and run of the mill police attention......Thankyou
laidman,Aug 7 2006, 06:11 PM Wrote:so anyways, I was thinking about tinting my head, and taillights, on my 2005 Copper ZX5, I have those dark grey svt wheels, I need your thoughts.  I was looking at Stickercity.com and found some pre-cut covers for the lights.  They are supposed to be easier to install, and for returning my lease, removing them too.  One last thing before I leave this in your hands, what are the legal problems with doing such a thing, as in ticking, and run of the mill police attention......Thankyou
[right][snapback]201180[/snapback][/right]

Doing anything to obstruct the front headlights or taillights is asking for trouble in Ontario, esp. if you get an anal cop. The Highway Traffic Act specifcally prohibits anything like that. Specifically Section 62 of the HTA that says:

Light requirement

(4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (4).
Strength of lamps

(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(B) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).

Therefore any tinting that cuts down on the visable light output may run afoul of that section.

(The above courtesy the E-laws website)

NefCanuck
laidman, you comign to the BBQ?
Well, they really can't do much about if it's liquid tint because there's ~95% light transmission on 2-3 light coats, even better on a single coat. Also, because it's tint and not paint on the inside... the reflector function of the lens is unaffected. That's what makes a pile of those clear corner kits illegal... they aren't reflective.

I was followed repeatedly for a couple of weeks as I went about my business at home, but I was never pulled over. That was over 1 1/2 years ago. If you mod responsibly, you're ok.

Better yet, live in a community with a strong French adult male population - they'll never notice! :lol: :rofl: The stupid truck taillight grilles, neon license plate covers and "Fear This" windshield banners will keep them busy. Same thing for those stupid spinner hubcaps - "Rollin' on 20s for $12.99" :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 8 2006, 12:32 PM Wrote:Well, they really can't do much about if it's liquid tint because there's ~95% light transmission on 2-3 light coats, even better on a single coat. Also, because it's tint and not paint on the inside... the reflector function of the lens is unaffected. That's what makes a pile of those clear corner kits illegal... they aren't reflective.

I was followed repeatedly for a couple of weeks as I went about my business at home, but I was never pulled over. That was over 1 1/2 years ago. If you mod responsibly, you're ok.

Better yet, live in a community with a strong French adult male population - they'll never notice! :lol: :rofl: The stupid truck taillight grilles, neon license plate covers and "Fear This" windshield banners will keep them busy. Same thing for those stupid spinner hubcaps - "Rollin' on 20s for $12.99" :lol:
[right][snapback]201298[/snapback][/right]

Well don't forget that half of NB's police prefer to sit in the radio stations parking lot on the bypass and chat. Then theres the ones who only go for a coffee and back to the station or to some secret hideout they have found and do nothing. But my favorite are the ones who drive around and do nothing or try to intimidate people but won't actually do real police work.
well assuming that BC has the same road laws (or similar) as ON, these are the requirements of your vehicle for the rest of your lights (as headlights were dealt with above).

On the sides of your car u need a orange reflector at the front end, and a red one at the back. On the back side you only need 1 red reflector. Front turn signals can be orange or white, rear signals can be red or orange.

like was mentioned earlier, most clear corners are illegal due to lack or reflectivity. You can get away with tinting lenses as long as they can be seen when lit at 150m at a 45º angle.

On my car, i have all of my front (orange) signals tinted almost completly black when unlit, but they still shine orange. My tails are tinted but are still mostly red. My 3rd brake light is tinted quite dark. with all of the above i have never been pulled over for tint, and noone has mentioned anything.