FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Second Battery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How hard is it to install a second battery into the hatch area? Do i just run a postive lead from the main battery to the postive lead on the second one, and ground it inside the hatch? or is there more to it???

any help that doesn't cause a fire would be greatly appreciated...

Hook it up just like a Cap.
I think anyway.
I think you will also need a Battery Isolator to alternate where the charge from the alternator is going. I think you might be able to pick one up from an RV or Marine dealer. What it does is regulate which battery receives the charge. See what I am talking about HERE.

Hope this help in your instalation.
it kinda depends on what your trying to do, but i would think you'd atleast need to upgrade your altenator

If you want to run both batteries at the same time, then you'd likely have to hook them up in series .. which if i remember correctly would be .. positive on battery 1 to starter solenoid, negitive battery 1 to positive battery 2, negative battery 2 to ground

double check that first .. don't quote me
schade,Aug 5 2006, 01:03 AM Wrote:it kinda depends on what your trying to do, but i would think you'd atleast need to upgrade your altenator

If you want to run both batteries at the same time, then you'd likely have to hook them up in series .. which if i remember correctly would be .. positive on battery 1 to starter solenoid, negitive battery 1 to positive battery 2, negative battery 2 to ground

double check that first .. don't quote me
[right][snapback]200977[/snapback][/right]

mmm, i think series will give you the voltage. So it means it would make it 24V instead of 12V.

what type of voltage you need? are they for your Amps or what, kind of power rating (ampere) you need? in series 24 volt or parallel 12 volt (higher ampere)

Great advice everyone!!!

:rolleyes:
DON'T HOOK UP THE BATTERIES IN SERIES!!

unless you're looking to fry your electrical...
look into a marine application, there are several switches etc, as many boats run several batteries
sorry should have explained a bit more.

All you want to do is install the second battery in parallel (fused of course) and with a diode isolator (you could get a solenoid isolator, but I prefer solid state) to ensure that the the 2nd battery won't drain the 1st if it dies, yet allow the alternator to charge it up.

You can find a lot of isolators from your local marine shops. Just make sure they're rated at the amperage your alternator is running at. Most of them operate up to 48 volts so I don't think voltage will be a problem.

what they tend to look like...
[Image: 108344.jpg]

Also, a second battery setup is usually for listening to the stereo while the car is off... if you're doing it because your main battery is dying while listening to music with the car running, you'll probably want to upgrade your alternator to handle the load instead. If you're killing off 1 battery with your current stereo, a second battery doesn't solve matters.. you're still putting an exceptional load on the alternator which will eventually kill it.