FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Recalls 1.2 Million Trucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Recalls 1.2 Million Trucks
The Daily Auto Insider
Friday, August 4, 2006
August 2006

Ford is recalling 1.2 million trucks, sport-utility vehicles and vans Thursday amid concerns about potential engine fires, the Associated Press reported.

Ford said the recall, one of the largest of its kind ever, was tied to the speed control deactivation switch system, which could corrode over time, overheat and ignite.

The recall involves vehicles fueled by gasoline or natural gas and equipped with speed control, including the 1994-2002 F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 F-Super Duty trucks, 2000-2002 Excursion SUVs, 1994-1996 Econoline vans and 1996-2002 E-450 vans, and 1998 Explorers and Mountaineers. The recall does not involve similar vehicles fueled by diesel.

Owners of the newly recalled vehicles will receive notices in the mail in a week and dealers will install a fused wiring harness. Customers can contact Ford at 1-888-222-2751.

wow.....now thats a pretty big number.....
NikiterZTS,Aug 4 2006, 02:36 PM Wrote:wow.....now thats a pretty big number.....
[right][snapback]200925[/snapback][/right]

Yup ... but ya gotta sell a lot of trucks before you have to recall them. The F-Series, the E-Series and the Explorer have long been the top-sellers in their respective segments - not surprising then that the recall is a big one.

Having said that - Ford has known about this problem for years - they should have done ths a long time ago.
Mine's a F150! Im in the clear! :ph34r: I hope!
This is an addition to the 05S28 recall for the cruise control switch... they are just covering thier asses on this... very rare cases of fire were from leaky cruise switches... brake fluid would actually leak down the inside of the wire casing and short out somewhere stupid like the cruise servo or the abs module and catch fire... NEVER SEEN IT in person or heard of one that had it happen.... they are just going back to some older F-150s 94-96 and most vans older and until 02 and such that had the same style switch as the first recalls for the 96-02 F-150s
focusonthis_88,Aug 4 2006, 03:21 PM Wrote:Mine's a F150! Im in the clear! :ph34r:    I hope!
[right][snapback]200950[/snapback][/right]

Your truck is what an 01, 02, 03? 03 newer than recall... 01/02 should have been done already in the first wave..... If your unsure PM me your VIN and i can check... might not get an answer till tuesday being we are closed for the holiday weekend. If I get some high speed on the weekend in Quebec I can check inford.com anywhere.. but i doubt I will have access

Its not a 911 issue if you switch isn't leaking.... Its easy to tell, just look at the connector on the bottom of your brake master cylinder, no leak no immediate concern...

ALL THIS IS IS A FUSED JUMPER... in most cases

even though... 1.2 million vehicles X cost of wiring part alone = $9.096 million

now that was retail price.... ford won't be in that deep...