FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tornado Watch For Toronto Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Aug 2, 2006...

Quote:Environment Canada has issued a tornado watch for a wide area of the G.T.A. and parts of Southern Ontario.

Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Caledon and the Halton Hills are on the list, along with Guelph, Orangeville, Erin, Wellington County, Cambridge and Kitchener.

A watch doesn't mean a twister is imminent, only that the kind of conditions that currently exist often lead to the formation of funnel clouds. Southern Ontario has already experienced several such events this summer, sometimes with devastating consequences. 

I think it's following me. There was a siting in Aberfoyle, where I am moving. and most recently a funnel cloud at Appelby and the 407.
But nothing touched down and the storm is now over the lake.
Stormchaser over and out.
Is it raining in Burlington????

I JUST WASHED THE CAR YESTERDAY!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
ANTHONYD,Aug 2 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:Is it raining in Burlington????

[right][snapback]200569[/snapback][/right]
east of your house. Yes. On your house. no.

i kid you not. The line of the storm was just east of your house. You may be saved by the car wash God's. :D
meford4u,Aug 2 2006, 04:29 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Aug 2 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:Is it raining in Burlington????

[right][snapback]200569[/snapback][/right]
east of your house. Yes. On your house. no.

i kid you not. The line of the storm was just east of your house. You may be saved by the car wash God's. :D[right][snapback]200571[/snapback][/right]

I'll fix that!!!

:lol:
It's just REALLY windy here... nothing too serious
I drove through it.

I heard of a funel cloud or something at 401 and 6, and I had been there 10 minutes prior to it. Crazy rain and lots of lightning. It was cool.

Then I got to the city, and it's sunny. Bah!
They seem to be handing out tornado warnings like candy these days... I wonder if they are covering their asses from the last tornado that made some serious damage over in Fergus ( I think )
I wondered that as well. More so about the severe thunderstorm warnings. I keep hearing them, but I keep seeing sunshine.
nass,Aug 2 2006, 06:25 PM Wrote:They seem to be handing out tornado warnings like candy these days... I wonder if they are covering their asses from the last tornado that made some serious damage over in Fergus ( I think )
[right][snapback]200601[/snapback][/right]

it's a watch, not a warning :P
darkpuppet,Aug 2 2006, 11:06 PM Wrote:
nass,Aug 2 2006, 06:25 PM Wrote:They seem to be handing out tornado warnings like candy these days... I wonder if they are covering their asses from the last tornado that made some serious damage over in Fergus ( I think )

[right][snapback]200608[/snapback][/right]

touche. SO what is the difference?
nass,Aug 2 2006, 06:24 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Aug 2 2006, 11:06 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]200608[/snapback][/right]

touche. SO what is the difference?
[right][snapback]200610[/snapback][/right]

A watch means the conditions are there for severe weather

A warning means sever weather is happening or will happen shortly in the affected area

Howzzat for a quick & dirty explanation?

NefCanuck
a watch says that the conditions are likely to exist that could result in a tornado

a warning says that conditions do exist, and there is a likelyhood of tornados.
[Image: cad.gif]

DANG
some interesting lightning dancing in the clouds... no thunder, but some HUGE strikes in the sky....
cool weather here in burlington.
Clear skys with a hot wind from the south one minute, then a distinct line of black clouds with strong winds from the north with severe lightning and rain. It turned from bright daylight to pitch black night in a matter of 5 minutes. One lightning strike knocked the power out for 4 hours in my area.

[Image: stormline.jpg]
Now THAT's a cool picture! Nice shot dude.
Great picture!

Last night we had tornadoe warnings here, but I must have slept through most of the storm because it didn't seem so bad. The area just north on the Quebece side (near Wakefield), got hit pretty bad though. Some neighbours at our cottage saw funnel clouds hit down. Power went out, but I don't think anything too serious happened
yeah we got that too just before you guys here for Ottawa, Gatineau..

then half an hour later it was a warning for toronto etc..

so did you guys get anything? we didn't.. lots of wind but no tornado
Pages: 1 2