FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: First Performance Mod?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
any other ideas post up!
do a tune either an Xcal2 or Diablo, will make your SVT that much better and fun to drive. if you go through Wanye at Hypnotic Tuning he should be able to help you out with everything your need.

other mods that you should do if you are going to do any are RT high flow cat, install it before your cat back exhaust, some people say its loud enough with just that. an intake, what ever you prefer. a rear motor mount, and a 65mm TB. there have been people making around the 150 to 160 whp with those mods.
First things to do performance wise would be intake (tb upgrade or not), exhaust, and re-tune. imo.
Go with rear engine mount and STS first. I don't know about you but with the stock engine mount I usually got a loud bang from the front of the car every time I shifted aggresivly at high RPM (supposedly the manifold hitting the firewall). The engine mount took car of that with almost no increase in vibration. Once you've done that then get a tune from Wayne @ Hypnotic or Tom @ Focus-Power. These are probably the 3 "must do" mods for the SVT.
or rims.
Turbo.
Flofocus,Aug 1 2006, 09:39 AM Wrote:Turbo.
[right][snapback]200162[/snapback][/right]

Stop influencing people!!!!!!! LOL!!! :D :D :D :lol:
worked with you...and all it took was 1 ride in the car!! :P
Flofocus,Aug 1 2006, 08:39 AM Wrote:Turbo.

B) TRUST ME WOULD LOVE TO!

next summer..... 4 sure im going boost
Flofocus,Aug 1 2006, 09:58 AM Wrote:worked with you...and all it took was 1 ride in the car!!  :P
[right][snapback]200165[/snapback][/right]

I KNOW! :lol:
02_svt_guy,Jul 31 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:any other ideas post up!
[right][snapback]200138[/snapback][/right]

Really depends what your budget is "a bang for the buck mod" is hard because one mod on its own usually doesn't make that much of a difference (A notable exception here is a catback exhaust, if you don't notice the different sound, might I suggest a hearing test be arranged postahste :D)

I went intake then exhaust myself, but that was because I have an '05 with that damnable "airbox" that I wanted out of my car PDQ. You may decide you want the exhaust done first for reasons of sound quality.

Or you may decide something completely different, but that's why it's your car ;)

NefCanuck
02_svt_guy,Aug 1 2006, 09:59 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Aug 1 2006, 08:39 AM Wrote:Turbo.

B) TRUST ME WOULD LOVE TO!

next summer..... 4 sure im going boost
[right][snapback]200166[/snapback][/right]
Then just save your money, investigate everything, and you will need the SCT Xcal2 for tuning. Get the pro racer kit as it allows you to do everything. It's going to take some cash, so save it, stash it away, and then babam!!!

Most of those minor mods won't do much.

sri what???
cai This would help the eventual turbo. But maybe gains of 5-7hp
udp I wouldn't recommend this. And not necessary with a FI setup
mbrp The SVT setup is just fine.
diablo Maybe
sct Yep
65mm tb+ sri Why? Turbo!!! You won't need this
65mm tb+ cai Same as above
plugs and wires This does nothing for our cars. In fact I have seen dyno numbers wher e replacing the coil pack actually reduces The Focus' numbers.

And there's my opinion. Take it from the old man.
I voted exhaust just because it's a smart thing to do either now or in the future.

The rest:

SRI - If you're fully performance-oriented, skip it and go CAI
CAI - They're good to get, but a waste if you're going to turbo it next year. Just get a drop-in K+N replacement for now.
UDP? Not sure about the SVT and the gains you'd get. If you're going turbo, I don't see it hurting.
SCT? Yeah, that's my second choice. Retunes appear to clean up a LOT of drivability issues with the SVTF - so I am told. Retuning for F.I. will be a breeze with the right tuner shop.
65mm TB - I'd choose this as a 3rd option. More air in, easier, would be good for the turbo route.
Plugs and wires - 1mm over stock on the stock coil would likely even out any idle or conduction irregularities in the system. Going with a Screamin' Demon coil and Live Wires tends to give a boost, but it's proportionate and not what you'd expect vs. a V8's gains.
get better tiresghter wheels :D

that being said, don't bother with the aftermarket throttle bodies.. you open yourself up to possible problems with TPS sensor issues and tuning issues later on when you go turbo and whatnot....

I'm not sure about the SVT throttle body, but you can get some better tip-in response and better flow by porting the stock zetec throttle body...

Then if maybe look at doing a cat-back exhaust.... and then start saving up for FI.

Not sure you can get a whole lot more out of the SVT engine by getting an SCT tune before you go FI. The car is already engineered by ford for performance, so for the money spent on a tune, I don't think you're going to see the gains.

honestly, if I had an SVT, I'd do maybe the following...

wheels/tires
suspension
cat-back exhaust
cams
FI

does the SVT have a limited slip Dif? if not, that's another thing you're gonna want.

Pfft... Hold off until you get a turbo or supercharger...

Turbo would be your best bet. but you can probably get your hands on a JRSC for 2500. or if you want big power just look into the powerworks kit.

Instead of a SRI. just get a KnN cone and put it onto your MAFS. it does the job if you want the sound.

MBRP is a good choice if you want a exhaust for the SVT. I lost a bit of low end, gained a bit of high end power. That being said, the MBRP is LOUD on the SVT focus.

Personally, If i was to do it over again i'd

KnN Cone
Bore out the TB
MBRP exhaust
SCT XCAL

In that order too, That way when you finally go F/I your money didnt go to waste.
stereo...

start with a big sub box...the bigger and heavier is best!!

You get good bass and you back end wont slide out in the turns!
darkpuppet,Aug 1 2006, 11:27 AM Wrote:Not sure you can get a whole lot more out of the SVT engine by getting an SCT tune before you go FI.  The car is already engineered by ford for performance, so for the money spent on a tune, I don't think you're going to see the gains.
[right][snapback]200228[/snapback][/right]

It's not so much about the gains as it is about the drive-ability. Some are worse than others but basically the SVTF came with half assed tuning straight from Ford. Drive a stock tuned SVTF (especially the 02's) vs an aftermarket tuned SVTF and the difference is night and day.

For those suggesting the following options.....
*The exhaust is so efficent though that IMO its not worth $600 just for the better sound, the only benefit would be down the road when FI is introduced into the picture. If your looking for sound just go with an ORP or Hi Flow cat in the mean time.

*Throttle body will only gain 2-3 HP, but you will probably get better driveability. CFM makes new one IIRC or you can get a modified stock one that a guy sells on [FJ]. He sells them either just boared out, or boared out with a replacement butterfly. I've read a few good reviews about this but you can check it out on there and decide for yourself (your car after all)

*Intake will give minimal gains, but if you pick one up used for a decent price and then later go FI you could probably flip it with minimal finacial loss. ie: buy used CAI for $150 and a year from now sell for $125, only a $25 loss for a years use of a CAI isn't too bad.

All this is just IMHO, reasearch the SVT sections on focusfanatics and focaljet and you should be armed with enough info and opinons to make your own informed decisions.....
I say do the plugs and wires as it will improve your fuel milage, I noticed when I did mine I am getting better milage to a tank since then, even with the a/c running, I know I"m getting about 20kms more then I used too before I did them.
tires is the best bang for your buck mod you can do .. and you'll notice it the most ..
Frost__2001,Aug 1 2006, 04:14 PM Wrote:I say do the plugs and wires as it will improve your fuel milage, I noticed when I did mine I am getting better milage to a tank since then, even with the a/c running, I know I"m getting about 20kms more then I used too before I did them.
[right][snapback]200302[/snapback][/right]

wow, I have to say Frost, fuel mileage?

That's...... :fag:

Oh wait.

Now I get it.

Pages: 1 2