FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Questions About A Lapse In Insurance.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, its not me.

Its someone I know.

The jackhole has been without insurance since FEBRUARY. Against my advice and beating the subject to death, said jackhole STILL has no insurance, and his license plate sticker thing still says Feb 2009. Apparently he's getting insurance tomorrow because he changed his address to Pickering, so instead of $500/month, he gets away with $300/month.

Said jackhole is getting insurance, and my curiousity has had me looking around for the past hour about any monetary penalities or otherwise.

I'm definitely not telling him this information, would rather have it come as a surprise if he gets to the kiosk and gets floored.

In New York, the penalty for any lapse of insurance is either 1) take the car of the road for the amount of time it was uninsured (So say it lapsed for 2 days, you get insurance, you still have to turn in your plates for 2 days), or 2) pay $7 per day as the fine. (Doesn't seem like much, but it adds up REALLY fast)

Will the MTO do anything of that sort? The evil side of me hopes that it does to teach this individual a very serious lesson. My insurance company was already giving the wife & I a hard time about getting insurance because he lives under the same roof, because he has an absolutely horrid driving record. He's been in more accidents in his 2 years of driving than I've had in 20.

Anyone?
hmmm unless you can prove he was on the public highways during that time, I don't think there's much you can do.
Not a thing they can do. All insurance companies here want is your money. and no super cars lol
ya, they cant prove that his car wasnt in his driveway since feb.
i think any penalties levied is if you get pulled over and you insurance was expired.
Wow, I was really hoping there would be another lesson involved. And another chance at a money grab. Bummer.

Thanks guys!
Thing is though, the MTO might be damned interested as to why the car wasn't running proper tags since Feb, if they had any brains...

But of course brains != MTO <_<

NefCanuck
torradan,Sep 22 2009, 09:23 PM Wrote:Wow, I was really hoping there would be another lesson involved.  And another chance at a money grab.  Bummer.

Thanks guys!
[right][snapback]294756[/snapback][/right]
Usually it is the new insurance company that extracts the pound of flesh ... they have the right apparently to charge someone who let their insurance lapse as if they were a new driver ... so he may yet be in for a surprise once the new insurance company finds out he did not have continuous coverage.
The place he is going to now in Pickering appears to not want to extract the pound of flesh. He was quoted there at $293 a month instead of $510 a month at the old place. The old company wouldn't take him back on because they changed their rules about number of incidents. The new company asked him how long its been lapsed and they didn't seem to care so long as he had money. Plus he changed his mailing address from Scarborough to Pickering.

So, $293/month for an '03 Focus. I'd sell it, and take the bus.
ZTWsquared,Sep 22 2009, 10:18 PM Wrote:
torradan,Sep 22 2009, 09:23 PM Wrote:Wow, I was really hoping there would be another lesson involved.  And another chance at a money grab.  Bummer.

Thanks guys!
[right][snapback]294756[/snapback][/right]
Usually it is the new insurance company that extracts the pound of flesh ... they have the right apparently to charge someone who let their insurance lapse as if they were a new driver ... so he may yet be in for a surprise once the new insurance company finds out he did not have continuous coverage.
[right][snapback]294770[/snapback][/right]

That only kicks in AFAIK if the insurance has lapsed for 12 months or more.

At that point the vict^H^H^H person requesting insurance will be treated as a new driver and KA-WHAM!

NefCanuck