FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Check Engine Light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My check engine light just came on but the car feels fine. All levels look good everything just like normal. Did the self test and nothing came up on the display for dtc. Any info would be welcomed

Forgot to add car is a 2001 s2 stock with 60,000km
Self Test as in though the Odometer trick/display?

Aside from seeing what code is being thrown, you can try this.

Unplug the negative battery terminal, leave it for 10 minutes/or unplug the negative battery terminal and lay on the horn, brake to drain the remaining power for about a minute, reconnect. This will reset the ECU. If the car throws a CEL again after this, then I'd go and get the code.
I hit a hole and it comes up....I hit other hole and it's goes aways...cant beat that method!
focusonthis_88,Jul 31 2006, 04:14 PM Wrote:I hit a hole and it comes up....I hit other hole and it's goes aways...cant beat that method!
[right][snapback]200035[/snapback][/right]

:lol:
I reset the computer and now no check engine light. If it comes back on I will have to get it looked at
Could be a faulty sensor or some other s***, honestly this isn't a rare thing to happen. I always do the ECU reset to confirm it. If it comes back after that, usually means something is 'actually' wrong.....
Ok drove it for a while and still no light but the car seems to surge a little (barely noticeable) while trying to maintain a steady speed. surging seems to go away when I press on the gas. Would reseting the ecu cause this?
wadem,Aug 1 2006, 12:51 AM Wrote:Ok drove it for a while and still no light but the car seems to surge a little (barely noticeable) while trying to maintain a steady speed. surging seems to go away when I press on the gas. Would reseting the ecu cause this?
[right][snapback]200094[/snapback][/right]

DPFE , ask AnthonyD about it :)
How much is that part? Can you only get it from ford?
Light came back on today when I got on the highway. I hope it is just the dpfe sensor.
Cleaned the maf and nothing changed. Will swap out the dpfe sense it was cheap and if it still has trouble after that I will have to bring it somewhere.
DPFE.

It's about 69.00 bucks from the dealer. (I'm currently on my 4th)

Not sure how to replace the sucker, never had to do it on my own.

Do a search on focus hacks...I'm thinking it would be there.
I just bought one for $43 from the dealer going to install it myself. You would think this would be covered under the powertrain warrenty
^Nope, it;s a sensor. technically, you could drive the car without it.....you gas milage would go for a s*** though. :lol:

Take pics, make a how-to when you replace it. I'd love to see how it's done.
ANTHONYD,Aug 2 2006, 03:23 PM Wrote:^Nope, it;s a sensor. technically, you could drive the car without it.....you gas milage would go for a s*** though. :lol:

Take pics, make a how-to when you replace it. I'd love to see how it's done.
[right][snapback]200546[/snapback][/right]

Or walk down the street to my local CT and ask someone who knows and someone you know? :blink: :D :lol:
I could....but I don;t like bothering him!

Maybe next time I see him, I'll have him point it out to me.
Just did it. Don;t have any pic's though sorry. It was real easy I removed the stock air intake just to make it easier to get at as mine is a 2001 with the smaller dpfe under the intake hose. Just unhook the harness and yank the dpfe up. Yanking it up was the hardest part as it did not want to come off so I just used a screwdriver to pry it up. Once up pop the new one back on making sure it goes in the same direction as the old one. put everything back together and done. Took about 25 min. The only other thing I have ever done to any car was change the oil. So if I can do it anyone can :) lol

Car does not seem to stumble anymore but did feel like it may stall at the first stop light but after that it was ok. I also unhooked the battery too but I don't know if that would cause that or not. Now I just have to wait to see if the cel comes on again