FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need To Wire Up Dimmed Highs As Drls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know some members did it before, but I have not had a whole lot of time to poke arround with the car's electrical system. What would be the best way to change my DRL circuit from instead of putting out power to the low beam, to instead put power out on the high beam dimmed at lower intensity, just like that of other cars like chrysler neon, etc... I know someones done it before, cant remember who, but it could have been FocusedOne or maybe EuroFordFan.

I dont need to get into detail as to why I want to do this, just want to know which wire does it. Thanks
paolo,Jul 30 2006, 07:10 PM Wrote:I know some members did it before, but I have not had a whole lot of time to poke arround with the car's electrical system.  What would be the best way to change my DRL circuit from instead of putting out power to the low beam, to instead put power out on the high beam dimmed at lower intensity, just like that of other cars like chrysler neon, etc...  I know someones done it before, cant remember who, but it could have been FocusedOne or maybe EuroFordFan.

I dont need to get into detail as to why I want to do this, just want to know which wire does it. Thanks
[right][snapback]199852[/snapback][/right]

well if your doing these on stock lights, stop immediately or you will melt your headlights within days. they arent engineered to handle that much heat.

anyways, im not sure there is a singular wire controlling that part. or at least dont look at the headlight harness to access that, you will be looking futher down at a different pigtail, and I say good luck on that :(
I have OEM HIDs.. I'm going to aim the H4 (high beam) bulb in the hid enclosure down low, so its not going to blind anyone. I also wont be losing any high beam functionality, these headlights include bi-xenon for the high beam as well.

BTW, why would it melt my stock housings? The car had DRLs from the factory on the low beams, I just want to re-locate the drl power to the high(dipped) beams instead... that shouldnt case any increase in heat, if at all, should be decreased, sicne I plan to run them at 50% intensity (dimmed) after I figure out how
Could you run the wiring from the headlights straight to the relay in the fusebox? That would be the lazy way to do it, not having to find where the wiring goes or anything. Or maybe is there already a spade on a relay going to the highbeams? Sort of like the one for the fogs or the low beams (where the DRL relay normally would be).. Just throwing out some ideas.
You'd need a pair of resistors as well to lower the voltage to the high-beams.
lol
simple
pul the DRL relay in the fuse box
go to any decent parts shop and pick up an AC Delco DRL retro-fit kit and hook it as per instructions.

iirc this kit uses a 1/2-cycle system to run the high beams as a low output DRL when the ignition is turned on.

probably cost you about $75 for the kit...

this would be the safest and easiest way to do this and have it be possible to return to stock quickly.

i have done this in the past on US imported cars to get them past the federal inspection only to have to owner to rip it all out shortly after... buying a car for the lack of DRLs?? go figure...
thx mitch, that is definately what i need
Just a question. Aren't all factory DRL's run through the high beams at low output?
CanadaSVT,Feb 13 2007, 09:35 AM Wrote:Just a question.  Aren't all factory DRL's run through the high beams at low output?
[right][snapback]226687[/snapback][/right]
Low Beams at low output.

For the Focus, they use a resistor circuit inline, for your Marauder, they use a reduced power DC pulse. FYI.
CanadaSVT,Feb 13 2007, 10:35 AM Wrote:Just a question.  Aren't all factory DRL's run through the high beams at low output?
I wish they were the high beams at low out put. Ford used to do it this way back on the tempo/topaz.
paolo,Feb 14 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Feb 13 2007, 10:35 AM Wrote:Just a question.  Aren't all factory DRL's run through the high beams at low output?
I wish they were the high beams at low out put. Ford used to do it this way back on the tempo/topaz.
[right][snapback]226891[/snapback][/right]
Why? Just curious. The reason they don't is the light spread. High beams are aimed higher.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 14 2007, 03:33 PM Wrote:Why? Just curious. The reason they don't is the light spread. High beams are aimed higher.
[right][snapback]226893[/snapback][/right]

cus then the hids would be not only plug n play but they would have been able to legally sell them at the ford dealor instead of this "for off road" nonsense. sometimes wiring cars properly from the factory has an impact on what lights the car can legally be upgraded to.
paolo,Feb 15 2007, 04:44 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Feb 14 2007, 03:33 PM Wrote:Why? Just curious. The reason they don't is the light spread. High beams are aimed higher.
[right][snapback]226893[/snapback][/right]

cus then the hids would be not only plug n play but they would have been able to legally sell them at the ford dealor instead of this "for off road" nonsense. sometimes wiring cars properly from the factory has an impact on what lights the car can legally be upgraded to.
[right][snapback]227038[/snapback][/right]
I understand what you are trying to say; however, the "for off road use only" disclaimer is given, not because of the wiring, but because these products have not been approved by the DOT as meeting safety regulations.

OAC_Sparky,Feb 16 2007, 09:16 AM Wrote:I understand what you are trying to say; however, the "for off road use only" disclaimer is given, not because of the wiring, but because these products have not been approved by the DOT as meeting safety regulations.
[right][snapback]227111[/snapback][/right]

well they should, because DOT is department of transportation in the USA, we live in Canada, they actually sell them installed on vehicles in the usa from the factory, and also available seperately from the parts department in the usa with NO disclaimer for off road.. I know because mine were purchased from the USA.. Canada can easily allow them, just FORD of Canada does not, There is no "safety regulations" that these lights do not meet.
paolo,Feb 16 2007, 10:09 AM Wrote:well they should, because DOT is department of transportation in the USA, we live in Canada, they actually sell them installed on vehicles in the usa from the factory, and also available seperately from the parts department in the usa with NO disclaimer for off road..  I know because mine were purchased from the USA.. Canada can easily allow them, just FORD of Canada does not, There is no "safety regulations" that these lights do not meet.
[right][snapback]227120[/snapback][/right]
Ok, correction, Transport Canada.

This is nothing new; you run into issues all the time with CSA, manufacturers have to submit appliances to UL for testing (and they have to pay for it), but they don't want to pay for the CSA testing (because the market's too small).

I ran into this with my stove -- Whirlpool makes 10 models of black gas stoves for the US market, but only 1 black gas range for Canadian markets. And it isn't their top "Gold Series". They figure if you want the upscale model in Canada you'll move up to a Kitchen Aid (same company, in many cases it's the same unit with a different logo or paint scheme)

Anyways, when I bought my house, we wanted to get the stove to match the rest of the set, we had to go to Rosa's in Niagara Falls, bought the model that 1) matched the set and 2) had a CSA logo on it. Some had them, some didn't -- even when some were even made in Canada. It's all about paying for the testing.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 16 2007, 11:34 PM Wrote:Ok, correction, Transport Canada.

This is nothing new; you run into issues all the time with CSA, manufacturers have to submit appliances to UL for testing (and they have to pay for it), but they don't want to pay for the CSA testing (because the market's too small).

I ran into this with my stove -- Whirlpool makes 10 models of black gas stoves for the US market, but only 1 black gas range for Canadian markets. And it isn't their top "Gold Series". They figure if you want the upscale model in Canada you'll move up to a Kitchen Aid (same company, in many cases it's the same unit with a different logo or paint scheme)

Anyways, when I bought my house, we wanted to get the stove to match the rest of the set, we had to go to Rosa's in Niagara Falls, bought the model that 1) matched the set and 2) had a CSA logo on it. Some had them, some didn't -- even when some were even made in Canada. It's all about paying for the testing.
[right][snapback]227199[/snapback][/right]

That still doesnt help me with wiring up my high beams at dimmed intensity as drl's, but I'd know who to ask for purchasing a kitchen stove. :lol: :P
I could help you with the wiring and give you the official Ford wiring diagrams, but they're buried with my stove manual, now that you wanna be a smart guy. ;)
hrmmm since my set up is aftermarket it was considrable easyer b/c I was alredy re-wiring a bunch of stuff... the realy for my HID's is triggerd from the stock foglight switch.. as I removed my fog lights (more air to the rad plus I think there miss styled)

the High beam is now wired to the low beam circut so it has it's lower voltage as a DRL,,, I used the fog lite jumper mod from focus hacks so I can have my fog lights on when ever and they don't switch off when high beans come on... this allows me to do a few things... high beam DRL's High beam, High beam dimmed with HID... full high beam with HID,,, Just HID and no headlights,,, marker and break lites are on though...

so if you don't like your fogs.. and are willing to live with a reversed flash to pass... and the high beam light on all the time... this is an option lol I dunno just some insight I guess... wiring digrams? the 12 volt .com
Cheers

AL
Thanks AL! You're the new Al F'n Cool!! (and thats not a bad thing)