FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Added More Pictures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's about freaking time - we got our new DSLR. I'll post some pics soon. The quality is unfreakingbelievable.

EDIT for my fave buddy - digital camera that's equiv in function to a 35mm cam - all you need to know here. :)

It's a Nikon D50 and it came with the 18-55mm lens, battery and charger, plus Black's had a deal that included a new Nikon bag, some (more) photo editing software from Corel (Photosuite?) and a "dSLRs for Dummies" book... all for the same price as everywhere else, minus the extra swag.

I'll put some pics in From The Street shortly, but they won't do them justice.

Oh, and burst mode is awesome... but if I keep playing with that mode, I'll need some more 1/2GB SD cards :lol:

First round of new pics

North Bay's Heritage Festival weekend, fast things too
Da hell is a DLSR? :huh:
digital SLR camera
ZX5focused,Jul 30 2006, 03:11 PM Wrote:digital SLR camera
[right][snapback]199853[/snapback][/right]

okay next question... Da hell does SLR mean?
Oscar The Grouch,Jul 30 2006, 03:29 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]199857[/snapback][/right]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_SLR - same quality as a 35mm camera, pretty much.
Oscar The Grouch,Jul 30 2006, 03:29 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]199857[/snapback][/right]

SLR---Wikipedia Def
LOL

Double post
Digital Single Lens Reflect

Nice hardware.
Added a new sub-gallery - North Bay's Heritage Festival 2006

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/log...Festival%202006

I'm still uploading the second batch of 19... bear with me if they're not all working. Chad, there's a few FireFit pics you might enjoy in there man :D
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 7 2006, 01:11 PM Wrote:Added a new sub-gallery - North Bay's Heritage Festival 2006

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/log...Festival%202006

I'm still uploading the second batch of 19... bear with me if they're not all working. Chad, there's a few FireFit pics you might enjoy in there man :D
[right][snapback]201149[/snapback][/right]

There is less noise at a rock concert....pfffft

.. :lol:
Still getting used to those shots... thought I was shooting at 800 ISO for those with the new Night mode. Nevermind all the shoving, etc.

But while OLP was loud, Collective Soul was violent. Huge moshes broke out, insane slam dancing. We actually left cause, well, I grew out of that years ago and if this one guy had kept it up... :angry:

I was there with Sara to enjoy the music, not risk getting her hurt. We heard a few more songs from a lot further back, but left before they were done. Best concert this year: Collective Soul.
Nice man.

Are you shooting RAW or JPG?

Are you using the automatic modes? if so, why did you buy a DSLR :P

Hope you have fun with it. I love mine, also, Vistek downtown rents out lenses if you ever need one. It's not too bad, I rented an 80-200mm f/2.8 lens for $24/day, you have to put a $500 deposit down, but you get it back. Saves buying the darn things for $1700.
what lenses you got?
Aka,Aug 7 2006, 09:30 PM Wrote:Nice man.

Are you shooting RAW or JPG?

Are you using the automatic modes? if so, why did you buy a DSLR :P

Hope you have fun with it. I love mine, also, Vistek downtown rents out lenses if you ever need one. It's not too bad, I rented an 80-200mm f/2.8 lens for $24/day, you have to put a $500 deposit down, but you get it back. Saves buying the darn things for $1700.
[right][snapback]201191[/snapback][/right]

Those shots were JPG - Fine quality. I've been reading a fair amount that there's negligible amounts of difference between Fine and Normal on the D50. I'll be experimenting to that effect this week. I'm playing with everything, actually... mostly floating between Night mode, auto-select Program mode for darker shots and full Auto when it's bright out and I'm moving between subjects and scenes rapidly. I'm having a lot of fun with full Manual, but I want my remote so I can do long exposure night shots and really good shots with the car.

We don't have many avenues for rental lenses here in North Bay, sadly. I'm having a hard enough time just getting the remote! :P I'll be checking out some of those Sigma lenses. The number of shots claimed in the battery pack isn't far off the mark either... about 1000 shots, plus transfers, deletes, playing, including a whack of flash work - 1/3 battery indicated. Not too shabby. If it was all outside stuff, manual focused all the time, etc... I'd see the 2500 claimed shots, easy.

CraziKev - 18-55mm lens right now till I can snag a telephoto lens. Uh - nix the fisheye, the $900 Nikkor one anyways! :D :o
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 7 2006, 01:29 PM Wrote:Best concert this year: Collective Soul.
[right][snapback]201152[/snapback][/right]

Still doesn't beat out Billy Talent from last year...
Vistek ships.. but I dunno how much that costs. Forgot there for a moment you lived in North Bay.

Doesn't the D50 allow up to a 30 second exposure in manual? that's plenty long enough for most long exposure shots. I bought a $10 cable release for my camera, but I guess newer ones can't use such old tech. I just push down on the cable release and twist a little ring, then time the shot myself. Works great.

What I did before I got the cable release, was set the timer for 2 seconds. So when I hit the shutter, the camera could shake a bit, and then 2 seconds later take a picture. It removed a lot of shake from the long exposure pictures, and was a cheap way of going about things.
Actually yeah, it can do up to 30 seconds on manual or I can select BULB for ultra-long exposures. I never thought about the timer trick, that's a good idea. I still want the remote for taking multiple portraits or shots fairly quickly if required, and it's cheap. I'll look up Vistek, thanks!

Added late last night - 1994 BMW M3, European model, #22 of 45 in Canada and a 160WHP 2004 Yamaha R1.
Hahaha showed the pics of that M3 to a friend at work here. He has a 95 M3, and is about to cry.
They brought over 45 of them till BMW USA threw a hissy fit because they were getting the "vanilla" 240BHP models without all the cool toys (Xenon adjustable headlights, etc). 10 were sent back, a few were cracked up or whatever. This one has 80K on it and has some wear but it's still drool-inducing.

The sexiest part of the car? The engine (THAT I FORGOT TO SNAP SHOTS OF :angry: ). 286BHP, VANOS-equipped, 6 independent throttle bodies. Just watching it rev is mesmerizing. I'm actually not a huge fan of how low it sits.

I didn't get to go for a rip in it, but it sure sounded sweet pulling away from my brother-in-law's place. :)
Pages: 1 2