FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Pc Case Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My buddy wants me to make him a computer... but he wants audio / usb plugs in the front.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I know that alot of motherboards come with the usb extender cable things but ive never seen the audio ones before. How do you plug up these audio ports at the front?

Any budget motherboard recommendations for doing this?
im not a guru or anything but I know you can get media card readers and audio ports in a drive...just like your dvd writer etc...

also..i know my buddy has thing high-end sound card that came with this internal panel that pokes out in the front..

look on ncix.com

a few guys on here told me bout that site....good deals

edit--

danny..

check this out...this is what i mean!!

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...Creative%20Labs
A lot of cases come with those built into the case. The last 3-4 I bought had them there.

The hard part is wiring it up cuz half the time they don't come with a standard plug, just a bunch of individual wires with ends on them labelled, but not labelled the same way as the motherboard.

Edit: Also, there's usually a FP_AUDIO somewhere on the motherboard, Front Panel Audio. If there's onboard audio on the motherboard, this is probably there too.
Hmmm Ok Ill look into that Aka..

Micro, yeah I saw those things but $$$$
My new case had all the fun stuff in 2 molded "sets" of connectors for the motherboard. The motherboard manual will tell you exactly what expansion areas can be used in that fashion.

It'll be called "audio header" and "USB header", amongst other things.

What's important about the cases with all the expansion wires set individually is that you follow the wiring spec in the motherboard manual EXACTLY. If you don't, you'll short out your USB devices. Front audio is normally easier. There IS a difference between 5V+, 5V- and SIGNAL.

I know you're not a wiring or modding newb, Dan... just telling it the same way I always do to everyone. :)

Here Danno, grabbed this out of my motherboard manual just for a heads-up:

http://www.northbaylans.ca/stuff/USB-howto.pdf