FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Computer Temp Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
System:
Intell 640
Asus p5ND2-SLI
2 6800 Ultras (7900 GTXs On thier way)
2 Gig ram
36 gig raptor
250 gig
2 DVD drives
Thermaltake 680 watt

Case:
Thermaltake Armor VA8003SWA
4 Fans
2 120s
2 90s

House Temp Is 23.4C

Question:

At Idle CPU is 35-40C
At Idle MP is 25C
At Idle Ambient is 44C
At Idle Video cards GPU Is 55C...

Is this all Normal Or is thier a bigger problem with heat.
I idle around 33-36 I concider that fine.

The GPU is a bit hot, but the coolers on those are always scary. I recall running mine in a game for a while and coming out to see it at 90C, and it had all kinds of cooling, but the stock fan on it sucked. I immediately swapped that off for the Zalman. Now it idles around 36ish and full load at around 64C

My place is pretty warm also, no AC.

Edit: I really have to learn to read. Those are fairly powerful video cards, not sure how much the Zalman would help out on those. Or if you'd even have space between them to fit a Zalman.

What does everything run at underload?
At Full Load CPU is 45-55C
At Full Load MP is 40C
At Full Load Ambient is 55C
At Full Load Video cards GPU Is 65-69C.
It's a touch warm, but given what's in there, I don't think I'd worry too much.

If you could cool the GPUs a bit more that would probably help.

Edit: How many CFMs do your fans move?
I'd be suspect of the actual ambient measurement and call it overblown. GPUs always run hotter than any other internal due to the low-clearance HSF assemblies and low CFM of GPU fans.

Otherwise, that sounds about right. My case ambient right now is ~35C.

Fully-loaded, both cores, doing F@H.

51-52C on the CPU.
Northbridge is 46C
Power supply (Nikao 520W) is 38C.

You're fine.
My "Ambient" temp is almost always my northbridge or sometimes behind the mosfets or something.... it's never really ambient.
You're reading off the on-board diode / thermistor and not a case-mounted, wire-led sensor eh?

I got lucky, my Trio came with one. It's nowhere near accurate / scientifically-reliable, but it does give an idea. I tend to give it +/-5C as a rule.
Well I just go by what's on the board and the software I can use to read it. It's usually one of those sensors that come up was "Ambient" I know it's not, so I always say it's something else, like NB or Mosfets.

I have an old DigiDoc5 I use for other temps. Works good enough I suppose. It's more annoying than anything though. So I usually only plug it in when I'm building a PC to see if I've gotten the airflow correct.
P4 2.53 with a zalman CNPS7700-Cu, in a chieftec dragon:

idle mb 30
idle cpu 24

load mb 35
load cpu 30

All this with 2x 512 Kingston Hyperx, Radeon 9800aiw 128, and a 300w Antec TruePower psu. I'm happy with the results. :D And all my info is gathered using asus pc probe.

As for my dad's Prescott, well i'm disgusted with it's idle around 50 degrees... the stock cooler sucks, and the chip runs way too hot for it's own good.

If I were you, i'd invest (as you already have put a lot of money into that rig) into zalman's pipe cooler for the gpu's. They're coolers are def worth the money, best I have ever run... even my coolermaster coolers couldn't compare. And with all my heatsinks, I change them all to Arctic Silver 3, great stuff!
I don't know what these Zalman pip coolers are. But assuming there's no fans on them, they still require air to be passing over them, however they may work really well.

Just saying, if you install them with no airflow around them, they'll do a worse job than the heatsink/fan combo on the card already.

As for your temps, you probably have A/C or a cool basement. Only reason I can't acheive anything that low is that my room is like 30C itself lol... soooo hot in my room.
Using ASus PC Probe too.

Getting my Ambient from my Nvidia.
Aka,Jul 30 2006, 09:53 PM Wrote:I don't know what these Zalman pip coolers are. But assuming there's no fans on them, they still require air to be passing over them, however they may work really well.

Just saying, if you install them with no airflow around them, they'll do a worse job than the heatsink/fan combo on the card already.

As for your temps, you probably have A/C or a cool basement. Only reason I can't acheive anything that low is that my room is like 30C itself lol... soooo hot in my room.
[right][snapback]199905[/snapback][/right]

Actually, the comp is in the hottest room in our house (same temp as yours)... upstairs. And the zalman vga pipe coolers come with or without fans. And have been known to have great oc'ing value even without the fans installed.
I never said they needed fans themselves, just air passing over them. So the case fans have to be placed correctly for them to work. A passive heatsink still requires air moving over it.

As for the temp in your room, how are you acheiving a temperature on your CPU lower than your room temp? because that's impossible. Unless you have some sort of exotic cooling method, peltier, or those compressors etc...
Aka,Jul 31 2006, 03:14 AM Wrote:I never said they needed fans themselves, just air passing over them. So the case fans have to be placed correctly for them to work. A passive heatsink still requires air moving over it.

As for the temp in your room, how are you acheiving a temperature on your CPU lower than your room temp? because that's impossible. Unless you have some sort of exotic cooling method, peltier, or those compressors etc...
[right][snapback]199941[/snapback][/right]

My zalman 'flower' type cooler really works well, and has a huge 92mm fan on it. And i've got two intake fans, two exhaust (not including the psu fans), and two pci card fans to cool my 9800 aiw just underneath it.

[Image: 7000a_cu_f_p.jpg]

[Image: 7000a_cu_b_p.jpg]
I have that fan on a Intel (Engineering Sample) D820. in my download computer....

at the stock dual 2.8. Ive seen anywhere as low as 48 idle... to 84 under load. :ph34r:
scoobasteve,Jul 31 2006, 11:33 AM Wrote:I have that fan on a Intel (Engineering Sample) D820. in my download computer....

at the stock dual 2.8. Ive seen anywhere as low as 48 idle... to 84 under load.  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]199989[/snapback][/right]

Damn... I don't think i'd trade my northwood for any current gen intel proc if that's the case. Do you have enough airflow in the case?
Alot of the newer Intel's run extremely hot. since mine is an E.S. i assume it runs even hotter.

With the factory cooler it was idling at around 60.

The case has decent airflow. The motherboard + CPU combo just setup on a test bench was only 2 or 3 degrees cooler than inside the case.

Apparently they have solved all this with the Core 2 Duo... Its gonna be sweet
That's insane Scooba. Even on our warmest day here, my highest CPU temp is 56C at full-rip.

I like the Core 2 Duo, but I'll never recommend that anyone with a S939 box buy a system / build a box with a C2D in it. It's 20% in improvements for a pile more cash.
Yup... older intels are insane! ...

My fx-60... overclocked at 200mhz per core is only 55 under full continous load.

Idles around 42.
Hrm, my old 3Ghz P4 (So old that all it has on it is HT tech) hits max around 70C after an hour or so of gaming. I think I made a wise choice to hold off until the Core 2 Duo hits the streets in quanitity :blink:

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2