FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tech Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tech question. We use an Exchange server for e-mail at work (Rogers RCI) so our outlook is configured to connect to the exchange server as opposed to pop/smtp access. Now, when I'm using the laptop from a different network, for example, my home network, or lets say I'm connected at Motorola using their wifi, I can not connect to my exchange server. What do I need to put in the path so I can connect to my exchange server from another network? Since Rogers doesnt use POP or SMTP. I dont always want to be using the http://webmail.rci.rogers.com web-only e-mail reader, but If I have to, then so be it.

Or must I get permission to use the Rogers VPN before I can remotely connect?
I am sure that you need to use VPN for this to work. If you've got a notebook you can configure your outlook to work in offline mode, when your at the office your mail gets saved to your local disk, then you can read your mail on the road, send messages, etc. When you get to the office your emails will send and you will "resynch" downside to this if your notebook dies, your emails are toast. We use Lotus/Domino at my work, haven't used exchange in maybe 7 years, but thats what I used to do....
Im not too sure what you mean about losing the e-mails if my laptop dies. I can log in on several different workstations within the company and all my e-mails are just there, even if I leave it open on 2 workstations at the exact same time. Exchange stores all my mail on the exchange network server, so even syncing it it shouldnt get deleted if my laptop dies.. Otherwise, I kinda understand what u mean about the need for the VPN thingy..
well then mr. smarty pants :P

VPN is your only option if you want full functionality....start getting chummy w/ the IT guys :)

You can also do it via RPC over HTTP/S if they're set-up that way with an appropriate Exchange front-end server. Otherwise, you can access it via Citrix Secure Access Manager and the Citrix Advanced Gateway Client.

It's neat, when it wants to work that is.

By the sounds of it you don't have Citrix or RPC over HTTP.

VPN works, but remember it nerfs your Internet connection! Hope you can surf through their gateways at that end from home!
No Outlook Web Access? I figured everybody had that configured by now.

Ryan
^^ OWA is good, OWA over HTTPS is better. They might not have it published due to security concerns.

I really can't wait till we phase ours out.
set up a rule in your email client to forward your incoming email to your hotmail or whatever account...

or am I making it too simple?
We had a guy do that..then his email got full, then his email bounced back the message, then the rule forwarded it back, and so on and so on..... lovely idea :)
reldridge,Jul 30 2006, 06:07 PM Wrote:No Outlook Web Access? I figured everybody had that configured by now.

Ryan
[right][snapback]199883[/snapback][/right]

Yes Rogers has OWA. the link above which I just posted is for me... but theres limits to what it can do and what I Need it for, oh well, its good enough for now. I finally got it to work. They flagged my personal internet account (Rogers Portible Internet) with Employee status and now I am able to access what I needed.
I can access my webmail accounts from any computer on my work NT domain without the use of my VPN login credentials. I can access my webmail anywhere off the Work domain as long as I log into my VPN, then log into the webmail account.