FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hold Off On Using Nalgene Water Bottles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone.... just a warning if you are using Nalgene water bottles, to stop using them for now until they do a bit more research. It turns out that the polycarbonate releases a chemical into the liquid that's held in the Nalgene which mimics the effects of estrogen. This chemical is otherwise known as an endocrine disrupting chemical (EDC), and leads to a whole bunch of reproductive problems, namely birth defects, mis-carriages and increase in Down Syndrome Babies. You can check out an announcement in the globe and mail yesterday at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...eandHealth/home

. For now, the safest way to transport water is a clear glass container... again, do what you will with this info.
very interesting...

thanks for posting.

that being said, I'm not planning on getting preggers anytime soon, so am I ok? ;)
lol.... would hope not (re: preggers) , but, apparently this chemical affects men too. Men have estrogen in their systems, it forms as a natural by-product of testosterone production. (If you don't believe me, check this site out http://www.biogenesis.co.za/pi-estrogen-blocker.asp). Anyways, so the excess of estrogen can cause libido and reproductive abnormalities on the male side of things (think the big 'ED' and sperm production problems). So if something is wrong with the male, they can pass it along to the female during "the mating game" ;)
I always made fun of my friends who used those, Why pay 20$ for a s***ty fancy water bottle. So you can stand at Yonge and Eglington and look fashionable. Plus people rarely wash them, which in turn just makes bacteria build up in them........they are for fashionable women, much like a purse
darkpuppet,Jul 28 2006, 12:47 PM Wrote:very interesting...

thanks for posting.

that being said, I'm not planning on getting preggers anytime soon, so am I ok? ;)
[right][snapback]199573[/snapback][/right]

yeah but maybe..

"a whole bunch of reproductive problems"

means your junk won't be able to rise to the occasion in time of greatest need?
:lol: :lol:
brucktown,Jul 28 2006, 03:02 PM Wrote:I always made fun of my friends who used those, Why pay 20$ for a s***ty fancy water bottle. So you can stand at Yonge and Eglington and look fashionable. Plus people rarely wash them, which in turn  just makes bacteria build up in them........they are for fashionable women, much like a purse
[right][snapback]199594[/snapback][/right]

can't say I've paid that much for my nalgene bottle, but unlike all my other water bottles, it's the only one that doesn't make water taste like month old gatorade.

I have no idea what a nalgene bottle is. Since I mostly workout at home, I get Brita-filtered water from the jug, pour it in a glass, and take it to the workout room.

Might have to reconsider that when we get back to a full-on gym this fall.
what's the deal with those bottles anyways... I see everyone with them. I just use the nestle water bottles.... will I still have babies?
nass,Jul 28 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:what's the deal with those bottles anyways... I see everyone with them. I just use the nestle water bottles.... will I still have babies?
[right][snapback]199648[/snapback][/right]

Nalgene bottles are supposed to be indestructible plastic bottles that guarantee to not flavour the water with any plastic taste or taste of previous drinks..

ie.. bicycle waterbottles... drive over them with a truck, they break... leave gatorade in them for more than a day, every drink afterwards will taste like stale gatorade....

nalgene, you can drive over with a truck and it's fine... leave gatorade in it for a year and it won't flavour the water...

in that sense, they ARE great. I've had one for a few years now, and it's seen everythning from boozy drinks at parties, to gatorade at sporting events to water for when working..

And water tastes only like water when water is poured in it.

and so far, it hasn't affected my libido or sired bastard mutants.... but recent research has linked plastic containers in general with seaping chemicals into your food and whatnot... so I can see this being something worth keeping an eye out for...
Read the article, and they point out that the chemical we're talking about is present not only in Nalgene bottles, but also the water cooler jugs in your office, and ALMOST ALL ALUMINUM CANS! That chemical, or others, are also known to leech out of any bottled water you buy. (And probably Brita containers too)

The only hope is to REPENT! The end is NIGH! Throw off the shackles of modern society and live like a hobo on Hudson Bay. Don't drink water that has ever been contained in anything! Only drink fresh water you gather from streams and lakes.

Just, watch out you don't get Beaver Fever, Montezuma's Revenge, etc...
As we get more and more technological, and as everything gets better in society, all we do is harm ourselves. There isn't any medium anymore, it's bad, or worse in society.

Nalgene has it's pluses, but i'll be sure to stay away from them. Thanks for the heads up.
So are you saying that each and every can of coke I've ever had contained this?

... that really adds up... I mean I have 6 empty cans on my desk right now... and removed like 37 a few days ago...

And I have 48 in the fridge...

And I drink bottled water, which apparently has this stuff too...

Wow...

*opens another can of coke*
i know what i must do, tell all women i see drinking from these to stop and to call me a hero.
Wow. That's some far-reaching s*** right there.

All the water I drink in a given day is out of the filtered water dispenser on the fridge at work. But anything else we've ever bought, like pop, etc. Wow.
on a related topic, heating up your food in the tupperware etc.. containers can leak chemicals into your food. As humans in this day in age your body has to adapt to all these chemicals and what not or you will die. Survival of the fittest I guess?

btw is it ok to have glowing genitalia in the dark?
Actually, the Tupperware and/or Saran Wrap in the microwave things are the same as this Nalgene stuff.

Is it possible? Sure. Am I gonna worry about it? No.

You guys would be surprised to what they do to lab rats when they say something is toxic. They'd put a rat in a nalgene cage, feed it water with 5% nalgene melted in, breathing vaporized nalgene in the air, and eating shredded nalgene... And then it dies 2 days earlier than the control rat, and voila! Instant media frenzy!

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but you'd be surprised the levels that are toxic.
^^--- we're always putting something bad in our bodies... if you cook over an open flame or bbq, you're ingesting food that contains carcinogens...
Dang, that's supper.

I thought burning propane was near-harmless?