FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: K & N Air Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm considering putting a K & N air filter into the focus after much deliberation and discussion with my bf who has one in his Golf vr6. Just wondering what your experiences have been with them, and whether you would consider it to be a good option for my car (2006 zx5 ses). I'm new to the whole 'putting $$ into your car' thing, so I would appreciate any and all of your comments/info you can provide. :)

Cheers and thanks
Just a drop in filter? Or an actual K&N cone.

I put a drop-in in all of my cars. Its the 1st mod I do. If they make a K&N drop in, I buy it. My GF has one in the accord, doesnt really add anything, maybe a couple of MPG's but no crazy power or anything like that. I buy them because they can easily be cleaned and re-used, so you save money from buying paper filters. Especially for the GF's accord, paper filters are $20 for the cheap s***.
Which would you recommend between the drop in and the cone... ???

Sorry...

Flofocus,Jul 27 2006, 12:01 PM Wrote:Just a drop in filter?  Or an actual K&N cone.

I put a drop-in in all of my cars.  Its the 1st mod I do.  If they make a K&N drop in, I buy it.  My GF has one in the accord, doesnt really add anything, maybe a couple of MPG's but no crazy power or anything like that.  I buy them because they can easily be cleaned and re-used, so you save money from buying paper filters.  Especially for the GF's accord, paper filters are $20 for the cheap s***.
[right][snapback]199288[/snapback][/right]
Its no problem.

If your BF has a cone and he knows how to intsall one, I would go that route because it does add some pretty cool sounds. :P :D and its cheaper.

For simplicity, I'd go with a simple drop-in filter but you wont notice it as much as a cone. Some here will say the cone adss 'XX' amount of horsepower, from my experience it adds noise, and may smooth out the power band a little...thats about it.

It is really up to you, the drop-in filter is usually about $20-$30 more than the cone.
I think the cone install may be a bit tougher on the 05-06. you may need a couple adapters to get it working.
I have a Kn Filter in my Car and Truck and I love it. If your looking for one let me know...I deal direct with them.
ZX5chica,Jul 27 2006, 11:53 AM Wrote:I'm considering putting a K & N air filter into the focus after much deliberation and discussion with my bf who has one in his Golf vr6. Just wondering what your experiences have been with them, and whether you would consider it to be a good option for my car (2006 zx5 ses). I'm new to the whole 'putting $$ into your car' thing, so I would appreciate any and all of your comments/info you can provide. :)

Cheers and thanks
[right][snapback]199287[/snapback][/right]

Just to let you know that there is no real "drop in" option for us 2.0L duratec owners. This is because Ford in their wisdom decided that instead of an "air filter" they would give us an "air box" that has to be completely swapped out (at $400 a crack every 100,000KM according to the service manual)

Additionally you also have the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) that is attached to the airbox and has to be set up properly or else you'll throw check engine codes like confetti at a wedding.

There are prefabbed solutions that allow the use of a regular air filter. I used the short ram cold air intake made by Steeda, but there are other options available out there for the Duratec.

NefCanuck
this is true - even i have not built one for the duratec engines
You guys know that K&N filters have terrible filtering efficiencies, and allow too much dirt to go into your engine... right?

That reminds me...I need to wash and reoil my AEM....thx... B)
P-51,Jul 27 2006, 08: Wrote:You guys know that K&N filters have terrible filtering efficiencies, and allow too much dirt to go into your engine... right?
[right][snapback]199448[/snapback][/right]

I've heard that too. I've also heard that the oil in the filter can be aspirated into the intake assembly and build up on the MAFS wires causing a malfunction. Not sure if its worth it for 1HP or something myself....

The only way to get more air through a filter is to put more or bigger holes in it. More or bigger holes = more dirt... or am I missing something?
P-51,Jul 27 2006, 09: Wrote:You guys know that K&N filters have terrible filtering efficiencies, and allow too much dirt to go into your engine... right?
[right][snapback]199448[/snapback][/right]

Yeah i've heard that, been using K&N filters since I was 16 and haven't had any issues with them whatsoever.
It's funny... when my stock airbox was in place and I had the paper filter in there, there was a noticeable film or "lining" of fine particulate along the intake tubing leading to the TB. After I cleaned it all out one day as I installed the K+N drop-in we bought and then checked it a few months later... nothing. Same thing after I moved to a 3" cone filter bolted to the stock intake tube/MAF... nothing after a year's use.

I'll check the Ractive intake tubing now that you mention it, but I'll likely see more of the same in my estimation.

They might only be good for a couple HP, but they definitely improve your gas mileage by a noticeable percentage. And you can't beat the sound :D

Plus... why does every single turbo kit manufacturer use a bolt-on cone filter? Would they not have noticed this? The same goes for PowerWorks and any other higher-octane (metaphorically-speaking) power-adder configuration. Nevermind hotrods and modified classics with huge K+N filters on their carbs.

Not slamming you man, but why would so many run them otherwise?
hmmmm... considering the 2.0 duratec would need a complete overhaul, I think I may wait on this one for a bit. Thanks for all the input, easier to not make a rash descision and regret it later on :)
xappie,Jul 28 2006, 08:36 AM Wrote:The only way to get more air through a filter is to put more or bigger holes in it. More or bigger holes = more dirt... or am I missing something?
[right][snapback]199483[/snapback][/right]

bigger holes or increase the surface area.... but typically, they go with bigger holes...

I guess it's pretty obvious that aftermarket cone filters will allow more dirt in, but at what point does the size of the particles negatively affect the engine?

I figure for the most part, a small amount of dust wouldn't really affect anything as it would just get ingested, burnt and sent out with the exhaust gases.

especially considering how many people have been running cone filters without any problems for 10's of thousands of kms..

But the oil on the filters would cause concern for me.. being one who's fouled his MAFs sensor before...
I still have a K&N Drop-in panel fliter, and an Accel super blue one too. The K&N offered me better than stock fuel economy, and quicker throttle response. It also offered a slightly more agressive tone when accelerating hard too...

I would sell you either of them, but like the others said, it likely isn't the right application for you...
ZX5chica,Jul 28 2006, 08:15 AM Wrote:hmmmm... considering the 2.0 duratec would need a complete overhaul, I think I may wait on this one for a bit. Thanks for all the input, easier to not make a rash descision and regret it later on :)
[right][snapback]199489[/snapback][/right]

Don't let the fact that it takes a bit more work dissaude you from upgrading your intake. OAC_Sparky did mine using the Steeda kit and all told it was about twenty minutes of work between pulling out the stock box and installing the Steeda system ;) (Now this is with the caveat that he had done this upgrade to his already so he knew what to expect, only difference is that he has the 2.3L Duratec)

NefCanuck
The only side effect, aside from some problems with MAF (rare, usually if there WAY too much oil on the element) is that the extra dirt makes your oil dirtier faster.