FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Roadtrip! Chicago, Il
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We're going for a short vacation to Chicago in August.
Anyone been? What should we absolutely check out and avoid?
drive straight through windsor and detroit. nothing to see or do.....
i was in the area just last week. the field museum/soldier field/shedd aquarium/adler planetarium is excellent. the planetarium is on a long pier and you have a perfect view of the city skyline. day or night it is a very nice view. the field museum is ok. nothing special. i hear the aquarium is cool. navy pier looks nice but tourist pricey. michigan ave as some neat shopping if you are into that. sort of a scaled down 5th ave.

be careful when/where you take the subway. it can be pretty sketch sometimes. for example, going from downtown north to evanston at 9pm on sunday night

south side of chicago is pretty friggin ghetto (but i'm sure you knew that) definite no go zone IMHO.

naz,Jul 26 2006, 09:56 PM Wrote:south side of chicago is pretty friggin ghetto (but i'm sure you knew that) definite no go zone IMHO.
[right][snapback]199219[/snapback][/right]

Definately a must if you have a sense of adventure Whitey, may I also suggest Calumet City seeing as you would already be in da hood. :lol: I laugh at people who think places like Regent Park and Jane & Finch are ghetto, they aint seen s***.
naz,Jul 26 2006, 10:56 PM Wrote:i was in the area just last week.  the field museum/soldier field/shedd aquarium/adler planetarium is excellent.  the planetarium is on a long pier and you have a perfect view of the city skyline. day or night it is a very nice view.  the field museum is ok. nothing special. i hear the aquarium is cool. navy pier looks nice but tourist pricey. michigan ave as some neat shopping if you are into that. sort of a scaled down 5th ave.

be careful when/where you take the subway. it can be pretty sketch sometimes. for example, going from downtown north to evanston at 9pm on sunday night

south side of chicago is pretty friggin ghetto (but i'm sure you knew that) definite no go zone IMHO.
[right][snapback]199219[/snapback][/right]

What he said.^^^

I was there about a month ago. Rush Street has a large assortment of restaurants. There is also nice beach north of the pier.
Chicago has some of the best most cultured Jazz bars going.

I suggest you look a few up.

As for the Ghetto here in Toronto????? You ain't seen nothin' Chicago is freakin' rough.

I'd hit the boys up on the Jet for a better idea.
Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium and Millenium Park and you HAVE to ride on the L subway.

That was on top of my to do list while in chi town ever since I watched perfect strangers as a kid....
sears tower..

chicago right?
oh and how can you forget to catch a taping of the Oprah show and oh snap Jerry Springer!

maybe Dr. Phil?

You might take home a car.