FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Test Driven: Mustangs And Pontiacs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My dad and I have both been on holidays the last week or so, and just felt like going out and test driving a few cars. Since we already know what cars like the Fusion and Focus ST are like, we decided to look at some cars with even more grunt. We started off by looking at a candy apple red 05 Mustang V6 Coupe with a 5spd. First impression...seats are nicely bolstered for stock, the padding feels like it was placed/stitched in the right places. The controls for the HVAC and everything else fall nicely into place under hand. Yeah the HVAC controls are down low behind the shifter, but hey...you should be adjusting that stuff AFTER you're done shifting and driving at the speed you want. The 4.0L V6 has a LOT of torque for a V6, and it propels the big coupe with a VERY respectable amount of haste. Though the design of the rear half of the roof and pillars leave a few blind spots, you still don't feel claustraphobic, and the car doesn't seem as big as it is. The steering response was well weighted in the steering wheel, with a nice amount of roadfeel, and a bit of oversteer when driving agressively. The brakes on the car actually felt more powerful than those on my ZX3, though I'm not sure how long it would take until they begin to fade. I think that the choice of using BFG Traction TA tires on this car was a very poor one. They howl and squeal like crazy when you are cornering, whether on OR OFF throttle. They really hold the car back from what it really could do I think. Perhaps the Pony Package V6 with the bigger wheels and gripper tires might make a difference.

Overall, the V6 coupe seemed like a well-rounded package, and was fun to drive.

Later on that same day, we decided to go and have a look at the Pontiac Dealership, and what did we find? A black on black 06 Grand Prix GXP. The small honeycomb grilles in the fenders and the quad exhaust tips protruding from the rear give the car away from several paces away (well, my dad and I like to think we are carguys, and we look for things that set models apart). Upon closer inspection, we saw that the car had Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A tires on it...these are the same tires that come stock on a Aston Martin or a Bently, and other such GT cars...and that it also has stock drilled rotors, front and rear, with fairly large Bosch calipers. Hmm...this is getting interesting...then looking at the car more, we see that it is sitting on a full Bilstein suspension, and after leaning on the car on it's corners, and flexing the fender and bumper slightly, we knew that a car this stiff must mean business. It's got the 5.3L V8 with the newly fangled "Displacement on demand" whereas it's a V8 anywhere from 1/2 - WOT, but it's a 4cyl at highway cruising speeds. This engine seemed even more interesting after the salesman explained that the engine doesn't use the same cylinder configuration everytime either, which will prolong the engines life, and it provides as much as 7.9L/100km fuel economy on the highway...not bad for a car that is so big and heavy, and comes with 303HP and 323 Ft lbs. Yeah it's a front drive car, and there is some obvious torque steer, but the car moves forward with sheer haste, and sounds awesome doing it...so who cares...lol. The one we drove had the F1 paddle shifter option, and the heads-up display for the glass, Monsoon sound system, a huge trunk, and combination leather/suede seats (which were amazing considering this is a Pontiac). The car has the power, the steering response, and the brakes of a GT type car, with the spaciousness of being one of GM's bigger cars. It doesn't FEEL like a big car at all. It was very impressive, and if you were to buy one and shave the V8 and GXP emblems off of it, you'd have yourself a wolf in sheeps clothing...a car designed to spank Acura TL's and 3 or 5 series BMW's with ease. THIS IS NO JOKE.

And last, but certainly not least...we come to the 2007 Mustang GT Coupe with black exterior, red leather interior, 18" rims, Z rated BFG KDWS T/A tires, 5 speed transmission, and the optional interior package. Firstly...WHAT A CAR!!! It looks good from ANY angle, it's stance is gorgeous, even on the stock ride height. The interior has that heritage look to it with the red perforated leathers, and the retro guages and dash bezels. It just "looks right" from every veiw, both inside and out. Slip inside, put the awesomely weighted clutch in, turn the key, and you are met with modular nirvana. Man does that 4.6L sound awesome! So the impression is going from good to better as we go here...let's see if this keeps up. A/C switched off...check...windows down...check...the salesman moved the Pony Package V6 out of the way...check...lets roll. After getting a feel for the clutch, and just pulling out of the parking lot (after negotiating the curb and a decline), I INSTANTLY knew that the chasis on the GT in an entirely different animal than the V6. It had a very solid, if not ridgid feel to it...beefy, taught, etc...nothing like I was expecting for such a big car. I gingerly drove the car down the sidestreets of downtown Brantford allowing the car to warm up, and at the same time being greeted by the smell of burning assembly lube on the exhaust and engine. This car was just off the truck. Just by the way it sounded at lower engine RPM and lower rolling speed, was inducing stupid childish grins on my dads face, as well as mine. Saweeeeet....lol. After poking around downtown a bit, I headed for the Gretzky parkway to stretch the legs of the car a little bit, and to take the car home to annoy mom...lol. Of course, with the way southern Ontarians drive in built up areas (you know...with the token brain in shutoff mode activated...lol) it was difficult to open the taps on the engine in town pretty much at all. Which was maybe a good thing, because after a few squirts from 1st up to 3rd, I was already doing 100km/hr in a 60 zone instantly. We brought the car home, shut it down, and honked the horn. Mom came outside with a "you two are idiots" grin on her face, when she saw the black beastie sitting there with the hood open (of course you gotta look at everything right?). We fired the car back up, put mom in the back, and took off up the street. It was priceless at this moment, because when we turned the stereo on for the first time, we were greeted by "Highway to hell" on the radio, and my mom just shook her head grinning and saying "oh my god..." We took the car around town, and I started to get bored with the pace, so we headed for the highway. With the windows up, and the MAX AC on, we took off up the 403, and brought the car upto 100mph....a speed that seems actually BORING in this car. After seeing how it was at higher speeds, and seeing more than one OPP cruiser, I cut it back to about 110 kms/hr....a speed that feels like 50 in this car....I'm not sure if I'd like this, or hate it. Though I'm sure that I'd learn to love it because the little red needle on the fuel guage stops heading left...lol! The car was very quiet at regular highway speed, very smooth, NEVER "floaty" and very stable. Quick lane changes at 160+ were effortless, and the back end didn't step out at all like I thought it might have. Even around town it's steering with the variable assist was ver precise, and let the car remain very nimble. Of course, like any other test drive, this one had to eventually end, and we took the car back. The salesman wanted to know how much I want to sell my ZX3 to them for on a trade in...but I think I'd be better off keeping it as my daily driver...you know how the redbook treats the Foci...not the best. I must admit that I had considered driving a Mazda RX8, but after I found out I can buy an 07 GT Mustang for $34K (which is at least $6000 cheaper than the Mazda), a car that will eat the RX8 in acceleration any day of the week, and give it a decent run in the handling department, I figured why buy import? I am waiting to see what the cobra or shelby cars are like now, as the stock GT is so impressive. My dad just muttered under his breath "GT500"...lol

L8tr!
our experiences are somewhat different I guess... I wasn't that impressed with the GT.

I can't say it felt very fast, it sure was loud tho.. and the handling was less than impressive IMO. I didn't care for the clutch either.. it felt like I was walking up stairs two at a time, and couple with the short, clunky shifter, I found it a pain to synchronize the clutch engagement with the gear shifts.

I think I'm the only person who's not sold on the GT.
this is a very good discription, but with all these gas prices can you please test drive the following:

1- Jetta/Golf TDI
2- Smart
3- Honda Fit

Regards, Management :)
mo_focus,Jul 26 2006, 11:00 AM Wrote:this is a very good discription, but with all these gas prices can you please test drive the following:

1- Jetta/Golf TDI
2- Smart
3- Honda Fit

[right][snapback]199102[/snapback][/right]

I have to admit, i'm growing on the Fit... although, if the Fiesta came to NA i'd reconsider.
euro_zx5,Jul 26 2006, 11:27 AM Wrote:
mo_focus,Jul 26 2006, 11:00 AM Wrote:this is a very good discription, but with all these gas prices can you please test drive the following:

1- Jetta/Golf TDI
2- Smart
3- Honda Fit

I have to admit, i'm growing on the Fit... although, if the Fiesta came to NA i'd reconsider.
[right][snapback]199111[/snapback][/right]

I'd wait for the 1st couple of Fit side impact accidents first to see what that gas tank under the driver's seat is going to do.
for my experience i only tride a new pony v6 edition....can't say that i liked it either....i didnt feel that much power as i expected from that v6 and the car felt really big for me

would love to try that new GT sometiems
wow, that was hard to read. :blink:
The mustang GT, is a pretty sweet car. I took one out back when they first came out. I like the look of the interior, but something didnt feel right with the transmission I didn't like the way the gears engaged/disengaged.

But i guess at that point i was spoiled by the SVT's Getrag

1- Jetta/Golf - Rabbit TDI
2- Smart
3- Honda Fit

I agree with the listing above, but would also add :

4. Toyota Echo / Yaris
5. Honda Civic Hybrid
6. Toyota Prius
7. 2007 Chrysler Sebring Diesel ( when they come out )
I'm sold on the new gen Mustang, but then again I'm a huge Mustang fan so it's hard not to be excited and impressed with the new model when Ford has improved it so much over the old. As for the GXP, well I don't know about other people but FWD and V8 just doesn't seem like a fun combination to me. What's the point of having the 8 under the hood and not being able to slide the rear end out once in while???
I wouldn't test drive any Honda Fits or Toyota Yaris, etc...just plain super weenie mobiles to me. I think they are both goofy looking, and don't offer ANY more room than my ZX3...

The Mustang GT that I drove was an 07...had less than 50km's on the clock when I first started to drive it. I personally like the shifter, it's stiff yes, but it also felt strong, and would likely smooth out after some breaking in, or getting used to it. I liked the clutch a LOT. Felt like the clutch in my ZX3...light, and easy to moderate. The HP and TQ is awesome, and when people say that the V8's are all gas guzzlers and that the gas is too pricey...with the big engine, you only have to loaf it along to get to and maintain the same speed as a small car would, except you have to drive the bags off the small motor to accomplish the same. Also, at 110km/hr in 5th in the GT, it's running less than 2200rpm...so no gas guzzling there. I'm not saying all this stuff coz I plan to buy one, just that the car is a QUANTUM LEAP over the fox body and other previous stangs.

The GXP had such awesome driving dynamics, that you forget all about the FWD aspect.

The North American cars are getting pretty damned good these days...

L8tz
Quote:but with all these gas prices can you please test drive the following:

1- Jetta/Golf - Rabbit TDI
2- Smart
3- Honda Fit
4. Toyota Echo / Yaris
5. Honda Civic Hybrid
6. Toyota Prius
7. 2007 Chrysler Sebring Diesel ( when they come out )
[right][snapback]199168[/snapback][/right]

that list is filled with new cars (expensive) with weak motors (slow) that are heavier than older/similarly powered cars.. why bother?

Because some of us still enjoy the fuel economy?

Good reviews man, you did a hell of a job writing all that up. I like their new 5.3L mdoular-displacement motor, and apparently it's in the Monte Carlo. I miss my old 305-CID Monte Carlo :(
It's the same Displacement on demand engine as the Impala SS, and I think there was a couple other cars with it. They told me that they intend to put that motor in the new trucks now too, or one with the same technology, which would make larger trucks more favourable then they are now.

The GXP with Bridgestone RE 050A tires, Bilstein suspension, Bosch brakes, and mixed leather and suede bucket seats are pretty awesome...I would love to buy one if I had 41K....lol
the lease on my dads 02 grand prix is up in a month, im trying to convince him to test drive a new GXP and and if he likes it, take that instead of buying out the lease on the old car
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 27 2006, 12:24 PM Wrote:Because some of us still enjoy the fuel economy?
[right][snapback]199236[/snapback][/right]

i drive around 2000mi/month the difference between 23mpg wrx and 55mpg ex500 (around the same mpg as a hybrid car) is around $167usd/mo, given $3.30/gallon for 93 octane that both vehicles use.. absolute values per month are $287usd for wrx and $120usd for the bike, assuming both are used for the full 2000mi.

$167/mo is not enough of a 'payback' to drive a car that does 0-60 in 10s, not to mention said vehicle costs MORE upfront

maybe if fuel was $6/gallon and i drove 3000mi/mo it would make more sense?
Sounds like alot of fun B) The GT500 is going to be at a local car show in 3 weeks time along with a portable dyno
naz,Jul 30 2006, 07:43 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 27 2006, 12:24 PM Wrote:Because some of us still enjoy the fuel economy?
[right][snapback]199236[/snapback][/right]

i drive around 2000mi/month the difference between 23mpg wrx and 55mpg ex500 (around the same mpg as a hybrid car) is around $167usd/mo, given $3.30/gallon for 93 octane that both vehicles use.. absolute values per month are $287usd for wrx and $120usd for the bike, assuming both are used for the full 2000mi.

$167/mo is not enough of a 'payback' to drive a car that does 0-60 in 10s, not to mention said vehicle costs MORE upfront

maybe if fuel was $6/gallon and i drove 3000mi/mo it would make more sense?
[right][snapback]199897[/snapback][/right]

quoted as a very good point.....
OK, I'm, confused. Did he just argue "for" the WRX or the bike?
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 31 2006, 09:31 AM Wrote:OK, I'm, confused. Did he just argue "for" the WRX or the bike?
[right][snapback]199960[/snapback][/right]

both
first he said the bike gets great mileage so he uses it and the wrx gets decent mileage too.

his second point is that cost of putting the fuel in the wrx is is worth more than the savings he would get if he putting it in a more economical vehicle (0-60 in 10 secs), (ie-saving money)
Pages: 1 2