FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Debuts New V-6 Engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Debuts New V-6 Engine
The Daily Auto Insider
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
July 2006

Ford has begun production of a new 3.5-liter, 265-horsepower V-6 engine at its plant in Lima, Ohio, the Associated Press reported.

Ford invested $335 million to modernize the plant. At peak capacity, the plant will make 1,200 engines per day.

The engine will debut in the 2007 Ford Edge and a new Lincoln crossover vehicle.

The new engine has been designed to accommodate advanced technologies, such as gas-electric hybrid capability and direct injection, which lowers emissions by injecting fuel straight into the engine, the story said.

Frost__2001,Jul 25 2006, 02:52 PM Wrote:Ford Debuts New V-6 Engine 
direct injection, which lowers emissions by injecting fuel straight into the engine, the story said.

[right][snapback]198925[/snapback][/right]

Okay WTF is the difference between "DIRECT INJECTION" and "FUEL INJECTION"?
direct injection, the fuel is injected directly into the cylinders where as in fuel injection it is misted into a mixture with the air before it reaches the combustion chamber (before the intake valves).

thats the basics of it.

edit:
wikipedia:

Gasoline direct injection or GDI is a variant of fuel injection employed in modern four stroke petrol engines. The gasoline or biobutanol is injected right into the combustion chamber of each cylinder, as opposed to conventional multi point fuel injection that happens in the intake manifold.

Oscar The Grouch,Jul 25 2006, 03:49 PM Wrote:Okay WTF is the difference between "DIRECT INJECTION" and "FUEL INJECTION"?
[right][snapback]198939[/snapback][/right]

as zx5focused mentioned, the difference is that, much like a diesel, direct injection injects fuel into the cylinder, not into the intake air stream leading into the cylinder.

on the upside, it helps cool the air charge and keeps cylinder temps down, the downside is that currently, most direct injection setups run out of oomph at higher RPMs (most likely a limitation of the injectors).

Now if they could toss that engine into my stang, I won't complain.
Hey DP, did you get the stang yet? Havent been following that lately.

Im sure you would have posted pics by now if you did heh
I drove a 2005 V6 Mustang Coupe yesterday, and drove a 2007 GT V8 Coupe today. The GT Kicks azz...no if's, and's or but's about it. With Ford Family advantage, I could buy it for $34,000....My dad liked it so much, he's added it to the list of cars he would most likely buy soon.

Still, the 3.5 would make the Fusion a Import killer, or put it on the same playing field hp wise, and have the 6spd advantage on top of that. I know they plan to put the engine in a Fusion "ST" in 07-08 models...

L8tz
Drivesthebeast,Jul 25 2006, 04:53 PM Wrote:Still, the 3.5 would make the Fusion a Import killer, or put it on the same playing field hp wise, and have the 6spd advantage on top of that.  I know they plan to put the engine in a Fusion "ST" in 07-08 models...
[right][snapback]198963[/snapback][/right]

Exactly what I was thinking... and if that happens, well I might consider it to be my next ride.
Direct Injection is basically a diesel with spark plug, just like puppet said.