FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wounded Mounties Die
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The two RCMP officers shot last week in Saskatchewan, both parents to young children, have died from their wounds.
The officers - 29-year-old Const. Robin Cameron and 26-year-old Const. Marc Bourdages - were shot July 7th while chasing a suspect near Mildred, Sask.

On Sunday RCMP officials confirmed the Mounties died in hospital overnight. Assistant Commissioner Darrell McFadyen said Cameron passed away around 11pm and Bourdages died just hours later.

"Both succumbed to severe head injuries. Despite all of the excellent care that was provided to them, they were unable to recover," he said.

Both officers will receive regimental funerals.

Bourdages' wife Natasha, also an officer at the Spiritwood RCMP detachment, said her husband is now in a better place.

"I believe that Mark is with us now in spirit and that he is in a better place where he can be peaceful," she said Sunday.

The residents of Spiritwood were saddened by the news of the officers' deaths Sunday.

"I'm shocked and I feel really sad about it," said Mag Szabo, who runs a local restaurant. She'd gotten to know Cameron, who came into the eatery for lunch and to pick up meals for prisoners.

"Poor things, and it's just so sad for their families. It's just really, really sad."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who's currently in Russia for the G8 meeting, issued a statement Sunday offering his condolences.

"Today, on behalf of all Canadians, I wish to pay tribute to both Marc Bourdages and Robin Cameron. They have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their fellow Canadians," he said.

"Constable Bourdages and Constable Cameron have been members of our national force for five-and-a-half and five years respectively. Throughout their careers, both officers brought a level of professionalism, commitment and courage that was admired and respected by their colleagues, friends and the lives of other Canadians they touched.

"I express my sincere condolences to the families, friends and fellow colleagues of these brave officers who have been touched by this terrible tragedy. This is truly a sad day for all Canadians."

Despite a massive search effort, authorities have found no trace of the suspect wanted in connection to the shooting, 41-year-old Curtis Dagenais, who's thought to be still at large.

The two officers were critically wounded during a police pursuit. Three Mounties had been called out to investigate an apparent domestic dispute at the home of the alleged gunman's mother and when they arrived the suspect sped off down a dirt road in a pickup truck, according to authorities.

The officers gave chase in two vehicles - Cameron and Bourdages in one and the third officer in another - and when the suspect vehicle stopped, authorities allege Dagenais shot Cameron and Bourdages. The third officer, who wasn't hurt, reported that her colleagues had been hit and returned fire. The suspect then fled on foot.

The two wounded officers were taken to a Saskatoon hospital where they succumbed to their wounds a week later.

Cameron leaves behind her 11-year-old daughter while Bourdages leaves behind his wife and their nine-month-old son.

We need capital punishment for crimes like this.
Spirtwood is about an hour or so away from me, and the mounties where in the University hospital in Saskatoon.

they believe that guy who shot them is dead in the woods around Spritwood.

tis sad to see this happen
why are so many mounties dying?

this is terrible, if they are not trained adequately enough to perform their tasks, they not need be on the force to being with.

sad day.
It should be EYE FOR A EYE! Nothing else!

focusonthis_88,Jul 16 2006, 11:27 PM Wrote:It should be EYE FOR A EYE! Nothing else!
[right][snapback]197812[/snapback][/right]

Best thing I heard all month.
The dude might have already offed himself ? - go out in style you *uckin coward !! Saves us from feeding him in prison !!
Yeah there was news that he was or has been suicidal in the past or tried in the past. His father is being held by the RCMP, apparently after the incident, he supplied his son with more weapons, cash and a change of clothes........
dlb,Jul 16 2006, 07:41 PM Wrote:The dude might have already offed himself ? - go out in style you *uckin coward !!  Saves us from feeding him in prison !!
[right][snapback]197823[/snapback][/right]

Amen to that, it costs way too much to keep these assholes in jail, these days, about 30 cents for a bullet, and send the family a bill for it too. Personally, I'd say shoot him about 10 times starting with the limbs, but apparentley that is cruel and unusual punishment. Gee I wonder if the families including young children think it's cruel and unusual to be left without their loved ones/parents.