FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Perpendicular Hd Installed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got one of these: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - their new perpendicular storage series. It's not the baby, but it's not the 750GB monster model, either. :D 16MB cache sure makes it "feel" smooth, compared to a single SATA 80GB 7200RPM 8MB drive, anyways.

It's fast, as quick on bootup and Windows nosing around as my 160GB SATA RAID-0... although I'm sure the RAID is faster for concurrent writes... hence why it's the new render target drive.

I'll be getting another next month so I can re-arrange the drives as a mirror. And some fans. Because I need more intake with 3 heat-farming SATA drives in the box. A single side 80mm doesn't cut it. 4 drives will surely render it "significantly warmer" again.
lost the geek to english dictionary yesterday.
sweet..how much do those bad boys cost!?

134 CDN shipped from NCIX.com - clicky the linky above ;)
are all of those segate 320gb drives the same... if so, i picked one up last month sometime and i'm pretty happy with it.

I'm slowly trying to phase out my WD storage drives because of all the problems they've been having latley.

I've had 2 WD 160gb drives fail on me in the last 6 months. apparently theres some crazy lawsuit going down with them too.
nerds!

whoop whoop whoop whoop!

hehe.. I need to solve my crashing hdd problems.... 2 out 5 of my main machines at home are down at the moment.

I really need a NAS box.
Anyone in here know where i go to find more information on that lawsuit against Western Digital.

Apparently once its completed you'll be able to send in any harddrive manufactured between 2001 and late 05 or something for warranty if its dead.
darkpuppet,Jul 14 2006, 08:16 PM Wrote:nerds!

whoop whoop whoop whoop!

hehe.. I need to solve my crashing hdd problems.... 2 out 5 of my main machines at home are down at the moment.

I really need a NAS box.
[right][snapback]197591[/snapback][/right]

Leave my box out of this!
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 13 2006, 09:46 PM Wrote:Just got one of these: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - their new perpendicular storage series. It's not the baby, but it's not the 750GB monster model, either. :D 16MB cache sure makes it "feel" smooth, compared to a single SATA 80GB 7200RPM 8MB drive, anyways.

It's fast, as quick on bootup and Windows nosing around as my 160GB SATA RAID-0... although I'm sure the RAID is faster for concurrent writes... hence why it's the new render target drive.

I'll be getting another next month so I can re-arrange the drives as a mirror. And some fans. Because I need more intake with 3 heat-farming SATA drives in the box. A single side 80mm doesn't cut it. 4 drives will surely render it "significantly warmer" again.
[right][snapback]197483[/snapback][/right]

I'm curious though, what are you doing that requires you run a RAID setup? RAID set ups for average home users are mostly overkill at best and can engender a false sense of security at worst. Best backup is either DVD backups or if you *really* want a no muss, no fuss backup a tape drive. Everything is else is too complicated/gimmicky IMO.

NefCAnuck
16mb cache?! I thought my WD Raptor's with their 8mb cache's were gold!
NefCanuck,Jul 14 2006, 10:13 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 13 2006, 09:46 PM Wrote:Just got one of these: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - their new perpendicular storage series. It's not the baby, but it's not the 750GB monster model, either. :D 16MB cache sure makes it "feel" smooth, compared to a single SATA 80GB 7200RPM 8MB drive, anyways.

[right][snapback]197483[/snapback][/right]

I'm curious though, what are you doing that requires you run a RAID setup? RAID set ups for average home users are mostly overkill at best and can engender a false sense of security at worst. Best backup is either DVD backups or if you *really* want a no muss, no fuss backup a tape drive. Everything is else is too complicated/gimmicky IMO.

NefCAnuck
[right][snapback]197630[/snapback][/right]

When I run racks of RAIDed IBM servers at work, I tend to get partial to RAIDs in all flavours. :)

RAID-1s for system volumes and "gotta have it" data is a must. I've had 3 system mirrors s*** in 2 years, all under warranty. The mirrors saved me from having to rebuilid a box from backups. Especially when they're domain controllers. Oy.

RAID-0s are my own personal variety of e-peen. If I can render video a little faster than a standard drive (and sometimes significantly faster) because the sustained write speed on a dual Maxtor SATA-1 RAID-0 is faster than a single SATA1/2 drive... sweet. I've done "cross-renders" to test this theory and it has shaved up to 10-20 minutes per job just because the video editing program waits less time for the drives to write. When you're rendering a lot of stuff over and over (like, say, seasons of insert show here), it's a big time-saver. Also, pretty much everything runs "faster" by some percentage once Windows has loaded. That's always nice. :)

Make no mistake, I do monthly backups of all my important pictures and documents to DVD-R, but the security blanket that is RAID-1 is hard to ignore. And the NForce 4 NVRAID adapter is suprisingly efficient for a quasi-hardware RAID card. It's actually a standalone ROM for the RAID settings, independent of your BIOS... so it's technically hardware RAID, but you can't work with it as well once running in Windows... which in turn makes it "quasi-hardware" to me as well.

Confusing? If so, I apologize. Drop me a PM if you have more questions :)

Puppet... what size HDs do you need?
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 18 2006, 10:35 PM Wrote:RAID-0s are my own personal variety of e-peen. If I can render video a little faster than a standard drive (and sometimes significantly faster) because the sustained write speed on a dual Maxtor SATA-1 RAID-0 is faster than a single SATA1/2 drive... sweet. I've done "cross-renders" to test this theory and it has shaved up to 10-20 minutes per job just because the video editing program waits less time for the drives to write. When you're rendering a lot of stuff over and over (like, say, seasons of insert show here), it's a big time-saver. Also, pretty much everything runs "faster" by some percentage once Windows has loaded. That's always nice. :)
[right][snapback]198024[/snapback][/right]

Okay, I can see the use in your case since you do video editing at home. I look at it for "average users" and I go it's the equivalent of shoving a Nitrous setup into a Focus used for daily commuting. I'm a "power user" but for what I do, RAID is an unecessary expense for the few seconds I might save during my work. I'd rather spend the $ on a better video card or more memory myself. B)

NefCanuck