FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: European Delivery ( Article )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
European Delivery

The Ultimate Souvenir
By Dan Prescott

Dreaming of a new European car? Dreaming of a European vacation? How about both at the same time? Picture this: you order a new car at your local dealership at a discounted no-haggling price, you and your partner ( wife / husband etc.. ) fly to Europe (maybe even for free, courtesy of the carmaker) and vacation for a few days, weeks or even months all around Europe in your new car, saving the cost of a rental car. After experiencing triple-digit speeds on the Autobahn, visiting all your favorite destinations from Amsterdam to Zürich, you drop off the car, fly home and wait a month or two for your new car to be shipped to your local dealership.

Five carmakers offer formal European Delivery programs, giving you a unique chance to pick up a new car at its birthplace, drive it in its homeland and ship it home at no additional cost to you. In fact, most cars are discounted by 5 to 11 percent to make it even more appealing. Two of the automakers – Saab and Volvo – even pay for your overseas flights. Why? It’s one of the best ways for an automaker to build enthusiasm for its brand and develop loyalty from its customers. They hope to make your car delivery a memorable experience, and hope you’ll come back the next time you’re shopping for a new car. Many European Delivery customers have done it many times.

Sound complicated? It’s not. The procedure varies a bit depending on the carmaker, but basically it goes like this:

Purchase the make and model of your choice at your local dealership, ordering it exactly as you want it. Prices are pre-set, saving you from haggling for the best deal.

Schedule your trip to Europe a few weeks later to correspond to when your car will be ready for delivery. The dealership will give you a time frame to help with your planning.

Fly to Europe and pick up the car. Tour the carmaker’s factory, museum or whatever they have to offer ( varies among manufacturers).
Vacation in Europe! The car manufacturer provides a temporary export license plate and insurance. There is generally a maximum time limit that you can use the car in Europe without taxation, usually 3 to 6 months.

Return the car to a predetermined location for shipping to the U.S. You’ll have the choice of many cities throughout Europe, although there may be an extra charge for some drop-off locations.

Fly home and wait for the car to be shipped across the Atlantic and trucked to your local dealership. They will clean it up and you’ll pick it up at your convenience.

Drawbacks? No instant gratification, like when you buy a car off the dealer’s lot. You’ll need to wait for the car to be built, and then wait again for the car to be shipped back to your local dealership after your whirlwind tour of Europe. It takes between 4 and 8 weeks from when you say Auf Wiedersehen to your car in Europe until you pick it up in the U.S.

Also, some salespeople are surprisingly ignorant about the process, or they may try to talk you into a car that they already have in stock. It’s best to educate yourself first via the carmaker’s website, and ask for a salesperson who is familiar with the program.

Not every European carmaker offers European Delivery. These carmakers currently offer European Delivery Programs and discounted prices:

Mercedes Saab Volvo

These carmakers also offer European Delivery Programs:

BMW

Porsche

Arrangements for factory delivery, without discount, can generally be made with high-dollar exotics such as Maserati, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce and Bentley. Unfortunately, Audi, Volkswagen, Mini, Jaguar or Range Rover currently do not have European Delivery programs at the moment.

Mercedes-Benz European Delivery

Mercedes-Benz began their European Delivery Program in 1965, and have delivered more than 100,000 cars to international customers. A modern Delivery Center is adjacent to the main factory in Sindelfingen, near Stuttgart, Germany. There is only one pick-up location, which makes an ideal central starting point for a driving tour to virtually anywhere in Europe. Drop-off locations are located in several countries, at no additional charge. Mercedes offers a special 5-day "Black Forest-Alps Rally Package" for an extra $1,300.

Models available:
Mercedes C-Class
Mercedes E-Class
Mercedes CLK-Class
Mercedes S-Class

Other models (CL, SLK and SL) are available, without discount.

Discount:
Approximately 7 percent off of the MSRP (C, E, S and CLK only).

Models not available:
Mercedes M-Class (built in USA)

Included in European Delivery:
No-deductible insurance, valid for 15 days. Longer terms are available for additional cost.
German export plates, valid for length of insurance policy, up to a maximum of 6 months
24-hour Roadside Assistance
All port fees, custom duties and shipping expenses to any U.S. dealership.
Taxi vouchers for transportation from Stuttgart airport or train station
One night accommodation in Stuttgart
Breakfast or lunch at Mercedes restaurant in Delivery Center
Mercedes Factory tour (when available)
Mercedes Museum tour
Recommended driving tours, travel suggestions, hotel discounts

Extra cost:
Optional "Black Forest-Alps Rally Package" 5-day driving tour, with hotels.
German value-added taxes (VAT), if your stay exceeds 3 months.

Pick-up Location:
Sindelfingen, Germany, hometown of Mercedes, near Stuttgart. The Factory Delivery Center is located at the Mercedes Factory. There is no extra delivery fee.

Drop-off Locations:
No charge at these locations:
Antwerp, Belgium
France: Paris or Nice
Germany: Bremerhaven, Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Sindelfingen
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Madrid, Spain
Switzerland: Geneva or Zürich
London, United Kingdom

A drop-off fee applies to:
Italy: Bologna, Florence, Genoa, Milan, Naples, Rome, Venice, Verona

For more information:

· Contact your local Mercedes-Benz dealership

Saab European Delivery

Saab was the first automaker to advertise nationally, and reports publicly that its most important niche market is the gay community with 1/2 of sales going to that segment of that market. Although the Swedish automaker is now a GM division, Saab remains a small manufacturer and still offers a very personal buying experience. Saab currently has one of the best European Delivery Programs available. They even give you a $2,000 stipend to defray traveling expenses, and a full red-carpet treatment if you choose to pick up the car at Saab's hometown of Trollhättan, Sweden.

Models available:
· Saab 9-3 sedan, wagon and convertible
· Saab 9-5 sedan and wagon

Discount:
Approximately 10-11 percent off of the MSRP.

Models not available:
· Saab 9-2X (built in Japan)
· Saab 9-7X (built in USA)

$2,000 travel stipend/allowance
Swedish export plates, valid for six months
24-hour Roadside Assistance
All port fees, custom duties and overseas shipping expenses.

If you choose to pick up your car at the Saab Factory Delivery Center in Trollhättan, Sweden, these additional perks are included:

Chauffeur pick-up at Gothenburg, Sweden airport
One night accommodation and three-course dinner at exclusive Ronnum Manor in Trollhättan
Transportation to Factory Delivery Center the following morning for Dedicated Delivery of your new Saab
Saab Factory tour (when available)
Saab Museum pass

Extra cost:
Full motoring insurance (extra cost depending on term, from $296 for 15 days to $597 for 3 months. Longer terms available.)

Pick-up Locations:
Trollhättan, Sweden, hometown of Saab. The Factory Delivery Center is located at the Saab Museum. There is no extra delivery fee.

Or choose delivery at any of these cities for an extra charge ranging from $400 to $810:
Vienna, Austria
Prague, Czech Republic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Helsinki, Finland
Paris, France
Frankfurt, Germany
Budapest, Hungary
Rome, Italy
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oslo, Norway
Lisbon, Portugal
Malmö, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Geneva, Switzerland
London, United Kingdom

Drop-off Locations:
No charge at these locations:
Gothenburg, Sweden
Bremerhaven, Germany

A drop-off fee applies to these cities (varies from 80 to 1,165 Euros):
Vienna, Austria
Antwerp, Belgium
France: Paris or Nice
Germany: Frankfurt, Munich, Cologne, Hamburg, Sindelfingen
Budapest, Hungary
Italy: Bologna, Florence, Genoa, Milan, Naples, Rome, Venice, Verona, Vicenza
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Madrid, Spain
Stockholm, Sweden
Switzerland: Geneva or Zürich
London, United Kingdom

For more information:
· Contact your local Saab dealership

Volvo European Delivery

Swedish automaker Volvo has a very popular European Delivery program started more than 40 years ago. They have delivered more than 300,000 cars through their Tourist, Diplomat and Military program, many of them at their main factory in Gothenburg, Sweden. The Volvo program currently includes roundtrip airfare for two and a number of other perks. All Volvo models are available in the program.

Models available
· Volvo S40 sedan and V50 wagon
· Volvo S60 and S60 R sedan, V70 and V70 R wagon
· Volvo S80
· Volvo XC70
· Volvo XC90

Discount:
· Approximately 8 percent off of the MSRP.

· Roundtrip airfare on Scandinavian Airlines for 2 from U.S. to Europe, including one connection in U.S. if necessary via Continental or United
· Swedish export plates, valid for six months
· European Car Insurance, valid for 15 days. Longer terms are available for additional cost
· 24-hour Roadside Assistance
· Home shipment Services

If you choose to pick up your car at the Volvo Factory Delivery Center in Gothenburg, Sweden, these additional perks are included:

· Taxi transportation from Gothenburg airport
· One night accommodation at SAS Radisson in Gothenburg
· Meatball lunch at the Volvo Factory
· Volvo Factory tour (when available) or Safety Center tour
· Volvo Museum pass
· Recommended driving tours, travel uggestions, hotel discounts

Extra Cost:
· Nothing, except insurance if you stay longer than 15 days. · Maximum time in Europe is 6 months, or Sweden will demand taxes on your purchase

Pick-Up Locations:
· Gothenburg, Sweden, hometown of Volvo. The Factory Delivery Center is located at the Volvo Factory. There is no extra delivery fee.

Or choose delivery at any of these cities for an extra charge ranging from $665 to $1,040:
· Amsterdam, The Netherlands
· Copenhagen, Denmark
· Helsinki, Finland
· London, United Kingdom
· Stockholm, Sweden
· Paris, France
· Berlin, Germany
· Brussels, Belgium
· Geneva, Switzerland
· Munich, Germany
· Vienna, Austria

Drop-off Locations - No charge at these cities::
· Gothenburg, Sweden
· Bremerhaven, Germany

A drop-off fee applies to these locations (varies from 75 to 589 Euros):
· Belgium: Brussels
· Copenhagen, Denmark
· France: Paris or Nice
· Germany: Frankfurt, Munich, Cologne, Hamburg, Sindelfingen
· Amsterdam, Netherlands
· Norway: Drammen or Narvik
· Spain: Madrid or Rota
· Stockholm, Sweden
· Geneva, Switzerland
· United Kingdom: London or Mildenhall

For more information:
· Contact your local Volvo dealership
Interesting concept.... too bad it won't work here. Canadian laws ban consumers from importing a vehicle from anywhere other than the US.

That, and I would see warranty issues... the Canadian arm of the manufacturer won't want to pay for work to a vehicle they didn't sell.
Casper,Jul 11 2006, 05:24 PM Wrote:Interesting concept.... too bad it won't work here. Canadian laws ban consumers from importing a vehicle from anywhere other than the US.

That, and I would see warranty issues... the Canadian arm of the manufacturer won't want to pay for work to a vehicle they didn't sell.
[right][snapback]197155[/snapback][/right]
Actually, that's not true. They (Volvo, Saab, Mercedes) send it directly to the Canadian dealership.

I have a coworker that bought his Volvo on the European Delivery Program, he had a great time. Even got to drive it on the Autobahn. B)
If I ever win the lottery I would do this, just for the sheer shock value of pulling up to my grandparents condo in Switzerland in a Mercedes that was mine :D I think my grandfather would faint on the spot :lol:

NefCanuck
Casper,Jul 11 2006, 05:24 PM Wrote:Interesting concept.... too bad it won't work here. Canadian laws ban consumers from importing a vehicle from anywhere other than the US.

[right][snapback]197155[/snapback][/right]
I would imagine that in either case the car would be built there in the first place. This would be acceptable. The car would be built to Canadian standards, and they would be able to ship it into Canada just like any other car they make.
The VOLVO european delivery is legit, I know this for a fact.......
hmm, i wonder if they somehow screwed up the order and you ger to take delivery of an e-spec mercedes benz instead of a us/canadian spec.
Frost__2001,Jul 11 2006, 04:20 PM Wrote:European Delivery

The Ultimate Souvenir
By Dan Prescott

Dreaming of a new European car? Dreaming of a European vacation? How about both at the same time? Picture this: you order a new car at your local dealership at a discounted no-haggling price, you and your partner ( wife / husband etc.. ) fly to Europe (maybe even for free, courtesy of the carmaker) and vacation for a few days, weeks or even months all around Europe in your new car, saving the cost of a rental car. After experiencing triple-digit speeds on the Autobahn, visiting all your favorite destinations from Amsterdam to Zürich, you drop off the car, fly home and wait a month or two for your new car to be shipped to your local

I want the Ford ST 2006 Tangerine machine!
Is that "possible" excluding the Trip and drive ,crash bumpers and other North American road issues?
I knew about the high end cars, but didn't know you could do that with a volvo... that's pretty cool.

Personally, If I won the lottery, I'd be cruising europe on my lamborghini and letting the speed cameras handle the vacation pictures.
Penwraith,Jul 12 2006, 07:52 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Jul 11 2006, 04:20 PM Wrote:European Delivery

The Ultimate Souvenir
By Dan Prescott

Dreaming of a new European car? Dreaming of a European vacation? How about both at the same time? Picture this: you order a new car at your local dealership at a discounted no-haggling price, you and your partner ( wife / husband etc.. ) fly to Europe (maybe even for free, courtesy of the carmaker) and vacation for a few days, weeks or even months all around Europe in your new car, saving the cost of a rental car. After experiencing triple-digit speeds on the Autobahn, visiting all your favorite destinations from Amsterdam to Zürich, you drop off the car, fly home and wait a month or two for your new car to be shipped to your local

I want the Ford ST 2006 Tangerine machine!
Is that "possible" excluding the Trip and drive ,crash bumpers and other North American road issues?
[right][snapback]197197[/snapback][/right]

Honestly I have no Idea if Ford of Europe offers a program like this, if they did I would have an e-spec focus for sure. I only copied this artical and they only mentioned the cars above as listed.
Wouldn't it only work with cars that are 1) made in Europe 2) admissible to Canada? So how would a European spec car be allowed into Canada all of a sudden just because you bought it through this program?

The cars I imagine you'd be buying are all cars they'd have shipped here in the first place, ie: to Canadian Specifications. So you're not going to get anything "special" on the car that you couldn't get normally if you bought from the dealer.

I could be wrong though.