FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Scary Days At Work....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They just had a blood-bath here yesterday., Laid off 18 people and asked senior management to take a paycut.

Buisiness is slow and things aren't what they used to be. I'm sure this is a ripple in the road and we'll get over it...I just hope soon.

We used to have a ton of U.S. buisiness, and with the dollar the way it is, the money just isn't coming in the same.

I persoanlly have never been through something like this professionally. And to be honest, I'm scared. I love the company, the company loves me, its just creepy. A little too creepy. Long faces and low voices. This is something that has NEVER been practiced here. It was always so possitive.

I think when I get home from my Honey-moon, I'm going to start shopping.

Thought I'd share (seeing you guys make a good ear)

a.

:(

Anyone need an Art Director?
If the dollar climbs any more this situation is going to get much worse real fast.....interest rates will climb, more jobs lost....fun times :)

I was in the same situation with my previous company, funny how things worked, they fired tons of people, I was in a team of 2 and they fired the other guy. I felt real bad because the next day I handed in my resignation since I found a new job. Looking around does not cost you anything, and could help further your career in the end.
not fun times, my dad has ben through this a couple times, once when the company basically wiped out a level of management and another time when the owner decided he wanted to run the company to the ground.

put alot of stress on my family, especially with my mom being a stay at home mom.

take a look around and see whats out there, but if things seem to be on good terms (for you anyway) remember that the grass isnt always greener on the other side. my dads gone through that too.

good luck and as long as you're a bonafide asset to them, you 'should' be fine.
Well, regardless of the way things look now, I hope they all turn out for the better in the end. As good as a career change could be, considering how comfortable you are there now... I hope it doesn't have to come to that.
I'm not having fun.

1. My Manager's away sick till Late July, maybe longer.
2. The Assistant Manager's going overseas for 3 years.
3. I'm going insane
4. Wish I got paid more.
5. Trying to seal the deal on my house. (Details still to follow)
6. My 3 and 2 year old neices are visiting and causing all hell to break loose.
7. Did I mention I'm going insane.

At least at work, I'll have a little more job security. But what is job security if your pay isn't adequate to meet future needs.
Same type of deal is going on down here, The lead smelter and the brunswick mines which employes about 700+ people (more or less) is suppose to close in 5 years.... It employes alot of people in this small community... Some of you know where and what it is, Oscar i know does. Pus i am sure some of heard on the news Inco, Falconbridge(the company that owns the 2 places in question) and phelps-dodge will merge and form a huge mining company. I am not sure if this merger is what is going to cause the shutdown though.

My dad has worked there for 31 years this fall and to think it will be closed is crazy. From the looks of things though my dad will be ok because he will be able to retire with his full pension and all after the contract is over due to the deal in the contract. There are alot of people though, young people who just bought homes, new cars etc, and just started to settle down... and in 5 years don't know what's going to happen.... Scary stuff.
ANTHONYD,Jul 6 2006, 07:34 AM Wrote:They just had a blood-bath here yesterday., Laid off 18 people and asked senior management to take a paycut.

Buisiness is slow and things aren't what they used to be. I'm sure this is a ripple in the road and we'll get over it...I just hope soon.

We used to have a ton of U.S. buisiness, and with the dollar the way it is, the money just isn't coming in the same.

I persoanlly have never been through something like this professionally. And to be honest, I'm scared. I love the company, the company loves me, its just creepy. A little too creepy. Long faces and low voices. This is something that has NEVER been practiced here. It was always so possitive.

I think when I get home from my Honey-moon, I'm going to start shopping.

Thought I'd share (seeing you guys make a good ear)

a.

:(

Anyone need an Art Director?
[right][snapback]196576[/snapback][/right]

I've been there a couple of times now and it sux not knowing if you have a job to go to tomorrow. The last time I was in that position was actually pretty similar to yours 3 weeks before I got married there was a round of layoffs and it looked pretty grim I didn't know if I had a job when I came back from my Honeymoon and to boot my soon to be wife quit her job too so it didn't look pretty. My advice is to stick to your current job and quietly look for something else or at least get the ball rolling on a new job just in case they decide to widen the layoffs. Good Luck.

Laterz :)
Keep your chin up mang...

Ive went through that about 5 times in the last 4 years. with all the merger's restructring, aquisitions. Telecom isnt a fun place to be.

Try to stay positive, make a contingency plan and hope for the best
well anthony if anything put your name out into the american side aswell, as I'm sure even with our dollar gaining and few jobs like yours hiring if that being the case, there might be better oppertunities for you in the USA as most americans like Non American thinking at times of uncertainty, plus your with-in commuting distance to Buffalo.
Well it look slike I'm safe.

I'm in close with the President's assistant, and she says there all done for now. How long is yet to be seen.

I think it may be humbling for me to get my portfolio back in shape anyway. It's one of those things as an Art Director that you ALWAYS have to be working on. I haven't touched it in 2 years. Been too busy.

I think once we get back, I'll be taking my future into my own hands and being a good little boy scout and "be prepared" It can't hurt.
Crap to hear you're going through "survivour syndrome" at work Anthony, but you've got the right attitude, get the portfolio in shape and keep an ear open ;)

NefCanuck
It's good to hear you're ok, man. I know squat about what you do, so I'm not sure what else an Art Director needs to stay on top of his game.

It's always good to have ears in high places :D
Art Director

What does an Art Director do?

Art Directors develop a visual concept that will sell a product. They determine the design, art work, photography, type style and other artistic material that go into published materials or television advertisements. They may perform some writing tasks, too. They consult with clients, copywriters, and Artistic staff to develop promotional materials. They also choose and supervise the Art and photographic staff on the layouts which are used in various media such as magazines, television, packaging and outdoors signs. In television, they may choose film techniques, type of music and performers.

Typical Employers:

Advertising agencies, publishing companies, television studios.

Preparation:

Most Art Directors have college training in commercial art, graphics, photography or cinematography, however, a bachelor's degree is not essential. Courses in advertising and marketing are valuable. Experience in visual arts and retail advertising is recommended and preferred by some employers.
Hmmm, lay offs...no more for me. I signed my 20 year contract with the military....so a guaranteed paycheck for the next 20 years....

unless we go to war, and I die.....(like that'll ever happen)

thats exactly why i joined. I was sick of the lay offs and s*** jobs and temp work...blah...