FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Is The World Ending?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MOST UNBELIEVEABLE LIGHTNING SHOW OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW.

T.O. IS UNDER SOME SERIOUS WEATHER.

call the army.
ANTHONYD,Jun 29 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:MOST UNBELIEVEABLE LIGHTNING SHOW OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW.
T.O. IS UNDER SOME SERIOUS WEATHER.
call the army.
[right][snapback]195948[/snapback][/right]

Quick, someone strap McGuinty to the CN Tower and use him as a grounding rod! :lol:
Going to get flooding and all that fun stuff like last year?

I sure could go for a nice lightning storm right now... well maybe in about 6 hours when its getting dark. The most we've had down here so far was a nice boom of thunder that scared the bejebus out of the cats.

whoa.. just looked at citynews.ca ...

"Funnel Cloud Spotted As Violent Weather Hits G.T.A."
HA! and guess how many UPS'es or even proper surge suppressors they sent us with all the fancy assed new PC's they installed here?

ZERO!

I'm waiting for the strike that hits this place and reduces all the PC's to smouldering ash <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 29 2006, 02:52 PM Wrote:HA! and guess how many UPS'es or even proper surge suppressors they sent us with all the fancy assed new PC's they installed here?

ZERO!

I'm waiting for the strike that hits this place and reduces all the PC's to smouldering ash <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]195952[/snapback][/right]

Job Security :)
Does it just look like one big blast of light?

if so we had that up here in wasaga last night .. it looked really cool
Well if toronto were to get wiped out then the crime rate in canada would basicly be cut in half. lol
nope, worlds not ending. then again the world isn't just the GTA.
One of my UPSes is starting to die, my server shutoff cuz the UPS cut the power for some reason. Yet it claims it has 30 minutes... stupid thing
Aka,Jun 29 2006, 09:33 PM Wrote:One of my UPSes is starting to die, my server shutoff cuz the UPS cut the power for some reason. Yet it claims it has 30 minutes... stupid thing
[right][snapback]195973[/snapback][/right]

How old is the UPS battery? Bet it's the problem...

NefCanuck
It's fairly old.

But I can't buy a new one right now, I need to save for a swap.

It works ok as a surge protector, or if the power just flickers, but if it goes off for say 2 seconds, the server goes off with it.
There was lightning without Thunder as well. At some points it was creepy like War of the Worlds (2005) creepy.

I'm sitting in my appartment working and I can see the strikes hitting all around.. and sure enough on the drive to volleyball, all the traffic lights in the area were out.

And believe it or not, people actually obeyed the law and treated it like a 4 way stop--during rush hour... which is different considering how it's usually just pile through the intersection until someone cuts you off.

We had wicked thunder and lightning last night as well in North Bay.

And there was no room on the tower as I had arranged to have Harper and his many cronies strapped there first. They must be aliens, because they all survived the ordeal. :rolleyes:
Aka,Jun 29 2006, 10:21 PM Wrote:It's fairly old.

But I can't buy a new one right now, I need to save for a swap.

It works ok as a surge protector, or if the power just flickers, but if it goes off for say 2 seconds, the server goes off with it.
[right][snapback]195977[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, that battery is toast. You may want to check that it hasn't started leaking as well. No sense in letting it go until the whole UPS is shot.

Leaks do happen, I had to replace a UPS battery at work last year, frig I should have been wearing rubber gloves, enough white powdery residue I thought I was fooling with a coke stash :ph34r:

NefCanuck
It's a POS UPS I got for Christmas a few years ago from someone who doesn't know about computers. Very nice of them and I thank them. But it's not a very good one at all.

The ones I've bought recently are APC with hotswappable batteries. So in the future I wont have much of a problem.

This UPS however just needs replacing, the whole unit.
Aka,Jun 30 2006, 01:25 PM Wrote:It's a POS UPS I got for Christmas a few years ago from someone who doesn't know about computers. Very nice of them and I thank them. But it's not a very good one at all.

The ones I've bought recently are APC with hotswappable batteries. So in the future I wont have much of a problem.

This UPS however just needs replacing, the whole unit.
[right][snapback]196046[/snapback][/right]

Ah one of those, bought my latest UPS at Costco about $140 for the APC Back UPS XS 1000 model a year ago now

NefCanuck