FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Middle East Turmoil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It never ceases to amaze me how disinterested both Palestinians and Israeli's seem to be in achieving peace.

And I have long ago stopped thinking of the Israelis as the "good guys" - there are no good guys in this conflict which probably explains why they don't have peace.

And now the Israelis are abducting elected Palestinian politicians and sending warplanes into Syria to buzz the president's summer home.

Israeli defiance of UN resolutions is legendary (far exceeds anything Saddam did) and the fact that they have the bomb (again in defiance of the UN and all global treaties) is tacitly approved by the US. Is there any wonder the rest of the world has little influence in making things right in the middle east?

The next time a nuclear bomb is used in a conflict my bet is the Israelis drop it - not the North Koreans.

Israelis abduct Palestinian politicians
The main thing about the damn Israeli / Palestinian issue is to keep focused on creating peace without bringing religion into it. Once religion worms its way in there... poof. No resolution EVER.

Israel has the bomb. Yes, but more importantly Israel has a whack of US-grade warplanes, army armament and training. Palestine, having shunned Israel and the west, have Iraqi-issue donkey rocket launchers. Not the best scenario.

Both sides lay claim to the same land. Religious importance notwithstanding, if this was a real war it would already be over.

The thing is, all of this was settled in 67. There was a war, albeit a short one, and some people won and some lost. Borders were redrawn. Why must there be an ongoing dispute and mediation process?

To be bitingly honest, I'm not following all the whys and wherefores and ultimately it doesn't matter to me who "wins". All I know is that from what I've gathered about this situation is that it's less about peace and more about religious posturing. That's just genuinely sad. A war / period of instability, perpetuated by blind devotion to a book.

Quite sad.
I honestly don't know what to think of the situation. If I had won 'the war', and have to put up with the crap from the neighbours, I'd flatten their whole freakin' territory.

But it's true that neither side really wants peace. They want what they want for themselves, not for any greater good.