FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Native Groups Cancel Manitoba Railway Blockade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Native groups cancel Manitoba railway blockade
Updated Wed. Jun. 28 2006 12:53 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Native leaders have cancelled a plan to block CN Rail lines in southern Manitoba as a tactic to put pressure on the federal government to settle outstanding land claims with aboriginal groups.

The leaders announced the plan on June 17, causing consternation among CN top brass who sought a court injunction to stop the action.

Several southern Manitoba bands and the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs supported the blockade, which was planned as a protest to what leaders call decades of federal government foot-dragging regarding long-standing native land claims.

The groups had planned to shut down two rail lines, beginning on June 29, for 24 hours.

First Nations lawyers, however, now say they have come to an agreement with the railway company.

CN has agreed to write to Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice to encourage him to address the land claims, and the native groups have agreed to hold rallies instead of blockades.

Last week, a lawyer for CN pressed a Court of Queen's Bench justice to issue an immediate injunction in case the native groups decided to stage earlier blockades.

The injunction had not yet been issued.

With files from The Canadian Press.

It's probably better if I just not comment on this.
S2,Jun 28 2006, 01:59 PM Wrote:It's probably better if I just not comment on this.
[right][snapback]195773[/snapback][/right]

x2 <_< Especially since I'm the mod here.