FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Looking For Work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has any one ever thought of going up to the rigs or the mines. I always been thinking about Fort Mcmurray. Take leave of absence at my current job, go there for 2 months and come back with a s*** load of cash. I dont think im cut out for hard labour thow lol.

Any way, here is the burger king wanted add outside of fort mcmurray

pretty crazy hey. Cost of living is just insane out there.

[Image: vobk.jpg]
Holy crap! In Burlington here it would be 7.75/hour (miniumum wage) Wow. If that was here, I would consider it since I make below that!
Man i don't even make that right now and i'm on my 3rd co-op work term. And i never made anywhere near that in my 4 1/2 yrs at McD's
I wish Meford wasn't on vacation.

He would have a ball with this thread. :lol:
lol but imagine how much a burger would cost there, cost of living is HUGE...
a 2 bedroom townhouse is like $500,000.
It would be nice to work there though and save up your cash like you said!

hmm....
Still not enough for me to have ever considered working at Burger Bling or anything similar, I respect myself too much.
Wait till all the "newcomers" hear about this in the GTIA...

There's going to be a Burger King revolt! :lol:
2001 ZTS,Jun 28 2006, 08:33 AM Wrote:Still not enough for me to have ever considered working at Burger Bling or anything similar, I respect myself too much.
[right][snapback]195653[/snapback][/right]

Obvioulsy not at Burger king, but like zx3tunr said, the mines, oil fileds etc. $$$$$
I might be heading out to work on the Rigs in April for a few months. I'd have my insurance paid off in 2 weeks. It really is good $$$ out there. If I wasn't going to University in September i'd already be there.
2001 ZTS,Jun 28 2006, 08:33 AM Wrote:Still not enough for me to have ever considered working at Burger Bling or anything similar, I respect myself too much.

a job is a job is a job.

I worked at McDonald's and if I had to, I'd go back there. 'Respectable' is not in what job you hold.
I'm just not a "people person" I cant do that type of work. When I was at the McJob stage of my life I did things outside of the service industries even though the work was harder and paid less.

I agree with not judging like you said, I look at peoples potential more than anything.
darkpuppet,Jun 28 2006, 10:29 AM Wrote:

a job is a job is a job.

I worked at McDonald's and if I had to, I'd go back there. 'Respectable' is not in what job you hold.
[right][snapback]195686[/snapback][/right]

ditto. If it came down to it and thats all I could get for a job, Id be hitting that grill a lot faster than the pogi line up. :lol:
more pics

I was told these trailors run about $300,000

[Image: IMG_1311.jpg]

[Image: sm4.jpg]

[Image: sm1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1216.jpg]

[Image: oilsans1.jpg]

[Image: oilsands.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1321.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1323.jpg]

and the busses that drive you to work and from

[Image: IMG_1326.jpg]

wow, I heard about this, and Alberta is having a high drop out rate over this stuff too, apperntly Tim Hoton's will start you off high too..... $12/h in Calgary from what I have heard from a few customers.
Wages are rather high like that all over Alberta right now but you NEED them to afford to live there, even renting is insane, (compared to Sask) anyway.....

Buddy lives in Calgary, bought a house for $210,000 or so a year ago, it's valued over $300,000.... ($90,000 in less then a year) and the area is typically selling the homes within 72 hours MAX.
S2,Jun 28 2006, 05:03 PM Wrote:Wages are rather high like that all over Alberta right now but you NEED them to afford to live there, even renting is insane, (compared to Sask) anyway.....

Buddy lives in Calgary, bought a house for $210,000 or so a year ago, it's valued over $300,000.... ($90,000 in less then a year) and the area is typically selling the homes within 72 hours MAX.
[right][snapback]195794[/snapback][/right]

WOW, and I thought Toronto, and the GTA was bad :blink:
My buddy works the entire IT division for a home builder spread all over Alberta, BC (I think) and definitely Colorado (Denver, etc).

He said, alot of the time, you'll see the home pricing increase dramatically between the ads they run in the paper and he said they are always changing their other advertising due reflect this.

**** I was planning to go into Firefighting here (still am) but hearing this, I don't think I would be able to afford to live in Alberta, at least with the luxury I am used to in Sask with what my fiancee and I both make. It's getting really harsh, but alot of Alberta's high prices is due to the oil/rig workers as Jay mentioned. If your making 100-150 a year, around 20 years old, do the math.....

I was at a wedding last weekend, the guy getting married currently runs his rig, not sure all the details but he makes more in 'per diem', basically food, hotel costs a day then I make a day normally with my wages. This doesn't take into account the 400-500 a day (maybe more)he is bring in on top of that. I think he mentioned he's clearing easily 10 grand a month and that's with I think 2 weeks on, 1 week off scheduling. I think he's bringing in about $250,000 or so a year, somewhere in that range. He's 24.
A buddy of mine heard about these guys with tents standing at the bus station in Kamloops with contracts ready to be signed. He's a ticketed pipe fitter with a B welding ticket. They signed him for a 2yr contract, $160,000 a year and gave him a $50,000 signing bonus. He came home put his house up for rent, bought a used C class motorhome for $30,000 and headed out. Says he loves it, 7days on 7days off. Every 8 weeks an extra week off. Trying to come up with pros and cons of why I should keep working down here.

On another note, I know a few strippers who make a trip up to Ft Mcmurray, Grand Prarie and Edmonton every 6 weeks, the one girl, Britney, made $10 G in 5 days. And that's only dancing, she said girls who are willing to do "extras" can easily double that. That's nuckin futs man.
I'm not sure I understand this.

Because people are making boat loads of money, Burger King can hire people for $14/hr? and everything is super expensive?

how does that work?
Price will be reflected in everything, Burger King can pay workers $14 an hour.... A whopper junior probably costs $7-$8....
EVERYTHING costs more, therefor to keep people there they need to pay more.
Pages: 1 2