FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I'll Trade You 2 Gt500 Kr Hoods For That Z06
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone see this on FF?

20k for a freaking hood LOL!!!!!!!! and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

initial thread
http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/showt...php?t=1517

makes it to autoblog
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/shelby-...eb-outrage-eru/
there better be gold, titanium, and kevlar woven in with that carbon fibre, even if it still cost 10K for the hood.
that is stupid no way in hell would i ever pay that for parts thats retarded
I wondered why the owner of a New Shelby said he paid a fortune for the mirrors. I laughed at him and said my whole hood was only $550 shipped to the door lol. He pretty much gave me the dirtiest look I ever seen lol.
Honestly, having dealt with the disparity in pricing for parts for the Fusion between even Ford of Canada and Ford USA, I'm not shocked that Shelby Automotive Inc. is doing this.

What is more interesting is the fact that if insurance companies wise up, they'll refuse to insure the things and then Ford & Shelby are SOL. ;)

NefCanuck
I say replace all those expensive flashy Shelby parts with stock parts and then you would have one hell of a sleeper!
I think Ford just wanted to keep the Shelby 500GT KR as real as possible and didn’t want any poser going to dealership and buying Shelby parts for their V6 mustangs.

Also it should be taken into consideration that Shelby 500GT KR is a super car, how much is a hood for McLaren F1? Or Ferrari California? Why is it always Ford that gets the blame for everything?
dBlast,Sep 11 2009, 09:53 PM Wrote:I say replace all those expensive flashy Shelby parts with stock parts and then you would have one hell of a sleeper!
[right][snapback]294192[/snapback][/right]

Or even better, sell all the shelby body parts, and replace them with stock parts... you could buy another car with the sale! lmao
mo_focus,Sep 12 2009, 06:58 AM Wrote:I think Ford just wanted to keep the Shelby 500GT KR as real as possible and didn’t want any poser going to dealership and buying Shelby parts for their V6 mustangs.

Also it should be taken into consideration that Shelby 500GT KR is a super car, how much is a hood for McLaren F1? Or Ferrari California? Why is it always Ford that gets the blame for everything?
[right][snapback]294197[/snapback][/right]

Look, that can easily be handed by refusing to sell parts without a VIN and photos of the crash damage.

The Shelby 500GT KR is a fast car (by design), it is a rare car (also by design), is it a supercar? I'm not sure that I agree that it is.

The car after all is based on the same chassis as a garden variety V6 Mustang coupe, which means that potentially anyone who could get access to the parts could "re create" one themselves. Hence why I have no issue with the VIN & proof of damage requirements, hell if they want the damaged parts returned (on their dime) to make sure the parts don't get repaired & reused, I'm okay with that too.

As to who is getting blame here, ultimately it has to be Shelby, not Ford. Ford can no easier force Shelby to sell any parts to anyone else than you or I could twist Shelby's arm. Shelby Automotive Inc. are the one with the control here and the ones who are behaving badly IMO.

NefCanuck
i agree with nef, i wouldn't call a mustang with every possible bolt-on a CF hood and some shelby stickers a 'super car'
Yeah, ever sincw the v6 guys started doing cobra conversions, the prices have skyrocketed....

however, a KR hood can be had for a lot cheaper -- Cervini has a VERY similar hood for $500.

All in all, the shelby stuff is priced beyond it's quality in general.... Steeda and others offer better options.
It's no surprise I'm considering a pre-05 GT or even a 00-01 Cobra for my next "toy". Pound for pound a Mustang is the car to beat for that price range in that era. Even 05+ are wicked and upgrade like Rosie O'Donnell terrorizes McDonalds employees.

Would I own a non-SVT "special" Mustang? Specifically, a Shelby? I always had doubts about the worthiness of the KR, especially considering that it was about the same, spec for spec as a C6 Z06 but it couldn't keep up in any regard to one - straight or twisties, brakes or susp.

Now, without a shadow of a doubt, I'd almost go as far as spending 15-20Gs on a decent pre-SN95 GT and then spending like 20-25Gs more customizing it into a beast. I'd then road-trip to the Shelby headquarters and purposely wreck the hood. I'd then pull a new CF hood out on the spot (obviously pre-prepped for mounting), install it and leave the bill for the new hood there at the office.

Exclusivity isn't a 20-large CF hood. Exclusivity is a car that people are practically killing each other over to get into. It never was, and now will almost certainly never be, a GT500KR.
Check out this article Guys Shelby lowered the price but has some great points some that we even mentioned here on fc.net

Autoblog on Shelby's Hood

From the article:

Given the small number of GT500KR units manufactured, the hood's associated research, development and manufacturing costs turned out to be particularly high, and those factors were calculated into the replacement cost using an off-the-shelf parts pricing matrix.

The last thing we wanted was a customer slapping a KR carbon fiber hood on his V6

Shelby also proudly told us that none of the KR-specific parts would be available for sale separately to ensure that owners of lesser Mustangs could not make shadetree replicas that might compromise the KR's image

Shelby requires any damaged KR parts to be returned to their facility in Las Vegas before new replacements can be sent out.
Still no updates yet. I'm watching that forum/thread like a hawk. I desperately want to know what the outcome is. Who's up for buying a couple of decent SVT Foci and going to Shelby's headquarters and doing burnouts all day? Probably three can be bought for the price of a single KR hood.
There is an update mayne not on the forum but read the autoblog article that I posted above.

"We're lowering it to $9,700. Additionally, we are now also going to go through all of the remaining carbon fiber components and take a look at that pricing, including skullcaps and splitters."

Thats about a 50% Price drop so take it and don't complain. Yes its still pricey but you got to pay to play they want to keep the KR excluisve and not see the KR body kit on run of the mill V6's

Shelby can stuff the exclusivity. I'd still complain when a HOOD is almost 10Gs and the car only cost 80Gs. f*** that.

Can you buy the SVT Focus brake kit for your ZX3? Yes. Can you buy Mustang GT and Cobra parts for your V6? Yes. Can you build your own SVT Lightning out of current FR parts bin items? Yes.

f*** Shelby and SAI for trying to turn the KR into a "collector's car" before its time. The collectors determine the desireability of a car, not the manufacturers. That's what separates a true collector's item from the manufacturer trying to force you to think a certain way about their product.

So no, 10Gs is still ridiculous and f*** SAI.