FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Who's Been Here The Longest?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Another guy who's renting the house recently asked me how long my family has been in Canada. I honestly didn't know, but with a french name, chances are pretty good it's been a LONG time.

Well, turns out my dad's cousin had a family history. Tracks all the way back to the first Lefebvre in our line to cross over to Nouvelle France in 1680! Pretty cool.

There was another Lefebvre line who crossed over in 1616, but we're not related.
You know that this is gonna end when someone claims aboriginal status. I think Frost said he had some indian blood in his background.
Quickly, my family on my Dad's side has been here since before the turn of the century. My mom's side, somewhere after 1900 and before WWI.

There's a "Weichel" street in Elmira somewhere. Actually, it's "Weigel".

I can go further back to semi-aristocracy in Germany, not far from the Porsche factory actually near Stuttgart.
my family has only been in Canada a few generations (under 10 maybe?).. not 100% sure.. Ukrainians are flaky that way...

I'm the first generation that was born and raised in canada.... I think my mother came here in the 60's.
Oscar The Grouch,Jun 23 2006, 01:21 AM Wrote:You know that this is gonna end when someone claims aboriginal status.  I think Frost said he had some indian blood in his background.
[right][snapback]194825[/snapback][/right]

close, frost said he had a lil Indian in him. :ph34r:

I am first generation for my family so it's not that long.
nass,Jun 22 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:close, frost said he had a lil Indian in him. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]194844[/snapback][/right]

:o TMI!!!!
I do have indian blood in me! I think I am 1/8, my father is 1/4 .... just has not found the need to go and get the history traced to get his card..... Would explain why my fathers tan so damn easy and keeps it for so damn long!!
the one side i know have been here since the early 1900's have found documents from ellis island with my family name.

the other side i'm not to sure, could be around the same time or early than that.
First generation Canadian, mom and dad arrived from Scotland and Ireland within a week of eachother in Toronto. Other than a deniable uncle in Edmonton we're the only branch of the family who's over here.
nass,Jun 22 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:I am first generation for my family so I am not that long.
[right][snapback]194844[/snapback][/right]
No s***. And you admitted it n the net. You da little man!

Apparently I have some Indian in me too. Somewhere way down the line there was some Metis.

Say... I wonder if us French Canadians can sue the Canadian Government for what they did to our ancestors? We were in Acadia when all that went down.

;)
I have Blackfoot Indian in me.

I'm guessing my family has been part of Canada since the beginning of time.
darkpuppet,Jun 22 2006, 10:48 PM Wrote:my family has only been in Canada a few generations (under 10 maybe?).. not 100% sure.. Ukrainians are flaky that way...
[right][snapback]194837[/snapback][/right]
Ah, I'm half Ukrainian.

I think my Dads side of the family has been here since the 1800s, I know very little about the history of my Moms side though. My Dad's into geneology, and has done his family back a few hundred years. It's a big f***ing chart I'll tell you....
I know a relative did fight at Queenston Heights in the war of 1812 but I know our histiory in Canada goes back further than that. My mom works on these things, its extremely complex and there is at least one book out.
1st gen Canadian myself, parents emigrated here from Switzerland in the 60's (My father came here first, my mother followed and I followed shortly after that :P)

Parents ancestory on both sides is traceable back to 1291 in Switzerland (The Swiss are anal record keepers :lol: ) but there is one other branch of the family on my fathers side here in Canada (Not that I care to associate with that scummy lot, they'd sell each other for a dollar <_< )

NefCanuck
One branch has indian in it, another is United Empire Loyalists who came 1812 is from America. And i think it was my grandfathers's grandfather or great grandfather who came over from Glasgow.
P-51,Jun 23 2006, 06: Wrote:Apparently I have some Indian in me too.  Somewhere way down the line there was some Metis.

Say... I wonder if us French Canadians can sue the Canadian Government for what they did to our ancestors?  We were in Acadia when all that went down.

;)
[right][snapback]194887[/snapback][/right]

:D I would love to see that!! And while we are at it, might as well claim that the unjustice that was shown to our ancestors should force the Canadian government to pay for my tuition... hehehehe...
P-51,Jun 23 2006, 07: Wrote:Apparently I have some Indian in me too.  Somewhere way down the line there was some Metis.

Say... I wonder if us French Canadians can sue the Canadian Government for what they did to our ancestors?  We were in Acadia when all that went down.

;)
[right][snapback]194887[/snapback][/right]

My wife is part Metis Indian. A long line of french last names on her mother's side from the original french settlers that mated with the native indians. There was apperently a tie in with the Hudson Bay Company as well.

I was hoping to get some free government perks, like free education and tax free status for my kids, but I think that only works with full status indians.
ANTHONYD,Jun 23 2006, 06:43 AM Wrote:I have Blackfoot Indian in me.

I'm guessing my family has been part of Canada since the beginning of time.
[right][snapback]194897[/snapback][/right]

More like 13,000 years actually ;)
Pages: 1 2